Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Bonavita kettle leaking/rusting
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Bonavita kettle...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 9:38am
Subject: Bonavita kettle leaking/rusting

My Bonavita variable temperature kettle seems to have sprung a (slow) leak. I noticed it because some corrosion seems to be seeping out from the seam between the metal and plastic. I have submitted a warranty claim. The base was already replaced, so this will be a whole new kettle! :)

Anyone else encounter this problem?

dana_leighton: kettle1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 9:39am
Subject: Re: Bonavita kettle leaking/rusting

Another area

dana_leighton: kettle2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 12:58pm

dana_leighton Said:

My Bonavita variable temperature kettle seems to have sprung a (slow) leak. I noticed it because some corrosion seems to be seeping out from the seam between the metal and plastic. I have submitted a warranty claim. The base was already replaced, so this will be a whole new kettle! :)

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Posted April 30, 2013 link

No, & my kettle is used twice a day & date code 3412., which is the 34th week of 2012.

Dana, do you fill the kettle right up, past the 1 liter marking., maybe up to but not touching the inside bottom of the top part of the black attaching piece?

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 1:24pm

Craig, Did you mean date code 1234? Mine is the same - bought in December from Gimme! Coffee.

I do not fill it above the marking tab, but it is possible that after expansion, the level might rise. There seems to be a silicone seal behind the black handle attachment...

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 3:00pm

dana_leighton Said:

Craig, Did you mean date code 1234? Mine is the same - bought in December from Gimme! Coffee.

I mean the way I see it printed on the bottom sticker on mine, & posted it. If yours is skewed it doesn't matter, same thing.. ;)

I do not fill it above the marking tab, but it is possible that after expansion, the level might rise. There seems to be a silicone seal behind the black handle attachment...

Yes, there's a seal there. As on the manual kettle, that handle has a cut out in the top back of it. That's for steam vapor to travel down through a hollow channel in the handle to auto trip a thermostat in the base of the kettle, so the on/off flip swith at the bottom of the handle flips/turns off.

The handle on the digital kettle appears to me to be the same handle/part (except for the manual switch at the bottom). What I believe may be happening is that the excess steam/water vapor is running down inside that same handle & collecting between the bottom of the ss bottom of the kettle & the plastic base.

The manual kettle had two cut out slots at the base of the kettle directly under the handle to vent excess steam vapor/condensing water when coming to a boil. The manual kettle trips off after a period of full boil (not sure of the time, 18 - 20 secs maybe?) for the time needed for the steam vapor to travel to the thermostat to trip the switch.
With the digital kettle, if you're setting it at or near the boiling point, my theory is that this extended period is producing excessive water vapor/steam that's condensing as water in the base with no method of escaping.

I'd have to take mine apart to confirm this though, but I'm in the middle of dinner at the moment.

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 4:03pm

CraigA Said:

With the digital kettle, if you're setting it at or near the boiling point, my theory is that this extended period is producing excessive water vapor/steam that's condensing as water in the base with no method of escaping.

Perhaps. I am setting the temperature at 204 so it should not be at boiling, but it is close I guess. Nevertheless, I think it should not be causing corrosion. Maybe needs a hole at the bottom to vent out any moisture that travels down the handle?

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 5:43pm

Hi Dana,

Well my theory was wrong for the digital model kettle. I took off the handle & it dosen't have a hollow channel for steam, it's just a handle.

The only other way for it to leak would be through the temperature probes silicone grommet seal on the bottom of the kettle. I just took the bottom off of my kettle (they have what's called a TA triangle drive head) & the bottom & sidewall of the kettle is welded together.

Looks like a perfect robotic laser weld, barely indistinguishable from the bottom to the circumferential sidewall!

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 5:57pm

Is it possible that the moisture is getting in from the outside, right at that seam where you are seeing the corrosion?
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 4:58pm

Update: Bonavita sent a replacement kettle with a return shipping tag for me to return the defective one. So far so good.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Bonavita kettle...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30492401123)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+