Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
co2 gas flush / infusion in order to lengthen shelf life?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > co2 gas flush /...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
tinyenormous

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: gaggia coffee
Grinder: bodium bistro burr / Hario...
Drip: v60 / aeropress
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 6:44pm
Subject: co2 gas flush / infusion in order to lengthen shelf life?

I just read Netphiloshopher's "crazy things with coffee" thread and came up with a question:
Does anyone gas flush their beans?
It seems like it would be a great thing for people who are about to pull a vacuum and then freeze. It would even be good for room temp beans as it would slow rancidification. If we went a step further and _pressurized_ the beans then it may even end up giving more crema, due to the dissolved gasses (based on my amateur understanding of crema)
I could see doing this two ways:

use something like one of these bike tire inflators in order to flush the o2 out of a half filled mason jar
-or-
use something like this whipped cream maker (but with co2 cartridges) in order to actually pressurize the beans in the tank. here is an example of people using something similar in order to carbonate fruit.

The point of both really is to get rid of oxygen. I have no idea if the injected co2 in the pressurized idea would have any benefit. It certainly would do a good job of displacing o2 though!

Side note: as much as I have heard of people freezing to prevent beans from going rancid, I have also heard of people storing beans in mason jars. AFAIK, sunlight will turn fats rancid just as fast as oxygen will.
 View Profile Link to this post
tinyenormous

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 6:48pm
Subject: Re: co2 gas flush / infusion in order to lengthen shelf life?

Two quick followups:

dry ice might be a good replacement for the first method. Put a piece in a mason jar and wait for it to fully sublimate. The c02 is heavier that air, so it won't leave the jar unless it is very windy. cap the jar and then freeze it. BE CAREFUL TO NOT MAKE BOMBS. Dont put the lid on with solid dry ice in the jar still!

If the coffee is going to sit out at room temp, then it will probably still off-gas. I don't know if that is enough in order to dangerously pressurize a glass vessel, but I'd be worried about it.
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 9:50am

Sodastream dispenser. Again, this would be a flush and displace into a bag, cup, or mason jar - not a pressurized scenario.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:36am

I don't do this, but if I were to try a gas flush, I'd probably use the products sold for wine recorking.  It's inert gas, predominantly, I think Argon.  They come in compressed cans without too much pressure, so one can safely pulse a less than full wine bottle.  Supposedly, they don't change the flavor of the wine, but my wife swears she can tell, so I stopped using them.  I think they're worth checking into, if one is inclined to pump a gas product into a jar or bag of coffee beans.

My approach is to loosely cap the canning jars and allow the degassing CO2 drive out the room air for several hours (typically overnight), then tighten down the lids and freeze.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
tinyenormous

Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:56pm

MerleApAmber Said:

Sodastream dispenser.

Posted March 27, 2013 link

That's a good idea!
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013, 5:28pm
Subject: .

tinyenormous

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013, 6:03pm

Netphilosopher I am always excited to read your posts, because you are probably the best example of a person who has a hypothesis, tests it, and then reports back for our benefit!

I couldn't agree more on almost everything that you said. The only thing that I can add is that while light may not help to stale the coffee it is a definite cause of rancidity. I wouldn't keep my beans in a mason jar on the windowsill for example. I don't know many people with windows on their freezers, as you pointed out.

The only use case I can think of is if someone has an amazing roast or gets their Hands on some "collector grade" beans. Other than that, we're mostly just playing around with science. That's fun on its own merit,
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 7:31am
Subject: .

emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 8:24am

I'm trying to understand the dry ice method (logistically)...

So you put the dry ice in, let it sublimate, then add the beans? Or are the beans sitting on the piece of dry ice while it sublimates?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
tinyenormous

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 9:05am

I think a combo could be the best method. Beans second could end up causing turbulence and letting more fresh air in. Beans first could have a lot of trapped air, and that might take longer to dissipate. I think that ice beans ice would seem to have the best chance at having a good flush.

The other question is: are you trying to pressurize your vessel? If not, then add as much as you want, let it sublimate and then cap it. you have basically co2 flushed your container. if you want to pressurize it, then do the same and at the end add a TINY bit more dry ice and then cap it. I would be very selective in what containers I was willing to pressurize.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > co2 gas flush /...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277714014053)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+