Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
co2 gas flush / infusion in order to lengthen shelf life?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > co2 gas flush /...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 12:01pm
Subject: Re: co2 gas flush / infusion in order to lengthen shelf life?

</ says, tongue in cheek: "Well, I guess it's time (once again) to see if pyramid energy will have any impact on use-life."
</sighs good-naturedly and giggles
Excellent piece of observation toward developing shelf life for roasted coffee. Thanks Guys!
-Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 2:29pm
Subject: .

Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 2:37pm

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 3:08pm

Netphilosopher Said:

A different use-life?  Hmmm....

Upon further reflection, I think that might be an excellent experiment.  Mayhaps I shall pick up some potato chips and then another bag upon the expiration date of the first one. Open both, sample them once a day and store them the same way, and see.

Posted April 9, 2013 link

Another experiment, LOL.

One would think there should be some difference, particularly as the chips near the end of their true shelf life (not necessarily what is printed on the bag). But what I was getting at was that potato chips might not be a good analogy for coffee. You suggested that coffee declines more or less at a constant rate, with a "mild slope". If this were true you would be able to find cans of Illy that last twice as long as others when opened.
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 3:11pm

Is anybody here an SCAA member?

There was a literature review published by the SCAA on coffee shelf life and staling a couple of months ago.

Click Here (www.scaa.org)
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 4:17pm

jpender Said:

Is anybody here an SCAA member?

SCAA doesn't have an 'old fogies' membership where has been's like me can afford a reoccurring annual membership with browsing rights to the archival and current trends proprietary market data.
B'sides,  :) I'd rather buy some couple tens of pounds of nice greens to roast and taste...
so... it's all good...

(hey, but, if anyone with SCAA thinks that's a good idea - Let me know!)
CheapBastid

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 9:44pm

Netphilosopher Said:

That middle stable stage is what people want to extend, but I think that if you have something that's been well-stored, but say reached 70% of life on the shelf, then open it, the life-slope changes from 65 percentage points of life per 9 months to 65 percentage points per 15 days.  Since you really have only 15 percentage points to go before staling (85% minus 70%), you have only 3 1/2 days before the looming staling cliff (15%/65% * 15 days use-life).  Freeze-storing may double this time to a week or more.

So, what is a simple recommendation to extending the life of good beans for a hobbyist like myself.

My specific situation is that I buy the freshest roasted beans from my local Intelligensia on $2 Tuesday (usually roasted the day before).  I take them home and divide the 12oz bag into four portions and foodsaver seal them in half pint mason jars.  I freeze three and use one.  I don't make much coffee so I go through a jar a week.

Is it worth all this complexity from an 'extending the life of the beans' perspective, or am I fooling myself?
Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 7:53am

Netphilosopher: small_x_dark.gif
CheapBastid

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 8:29am

Netphilosopher Said:

If I recall, the foodsaver wasn't quite as good as a mityvac (we hooked the mityvac to a container with my older foodsaver on a second nozzle).  A new mityvac can do about 25"Hg, and the foodsaver was about an inch less or so.  Call it 23.5"

Posted April 10, 2013 link

Well, as I am my handle, I got the hand-held FreshSaver model.

=)

I'm guessing that is significantly worse than the full model FoodSaver. So it sounds like the meaningful 'upgrades' for me are getting a better extractor, and using a 'bag system' instead of the jars.

My concerns were in the reports that the bags did not hold a seal very well.  As I'm planning on discarding my Freshsaver solution, any recommendations on which 'wife friendly' vacuum upgrade device?  Also which reusable bags are more reliable from a seal perspective?
jpender
jpender

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 11:36am

Why would a bag be better than a jar (assuming the jar is filled)?
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > co2 gas flush /...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298231840134)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+