Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Totally geeked!  Roasting Coffee!
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Totally geeked!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
roach56

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 7:25am
Subject: Re: Totally geeked!  Roasting Coffee!

Are you using the A,B,C, D buttons? I roasted 12oz. Sumatran on 1lb. P3 C yesterday. I didn't take notes but it was a very long roast that went from FC to SC within a few seconds. I hit cool and opened the door to cool quickly.My room that I roast in is unheated and cold but I did preheat. I will try your settings next time.

kboom1 Said:

the method of using a 1lb roast setting for a lesser amount works well. I do all my roast with the 1lb but roast anywhere between 8-10 oz. gives you more time at the end of your roast just incase your not at the level you want. example 10oz african using p3 1lb setting I will reduce the time to 14;00 before pressing start. It will stay within drying fazes correctly.I use the same method with some harder beans also on p3 to give the bean a longer drying faze but will reduce time after pressing start, that way last stage will be a prolonged 100% power. same as ajusting your roast for a p2. start with a p1 roast and mark time of 1c next roast use p2 and ajust your time so power drop happens same time your 1c happened on p1 this way you increase the time you stay in 1c and time between 1c and 2c when the bean will develop it's flavor. after you practice a while it becomes 2nd nature how to predict the roast. I have also found if you can cool the beans quicker you develop more sweetness in the bean. I use a fan,after pressing cool I wait 2min open door and place a little fan blowing on the beans. you still have to let the behmor run thru the cooling faze though. always remember to take notes or roastlogs as to settings times of 1c and 2c and flavor profile of your roast. you will be surprised how just a little ajustment will change a taste profile. I run 2 behmors with my setup right now but always looking of ways to expand and learn more. hope you enjoy your jorney as much as I have mine.

Posted February 26, 2013 link

View Profile Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 7:59am

I always use A setting when using 1lb setting you can ajust your time as you see fit. no need to use any other as you can add or subtract your time as needed. use the rosetta stone tips for guestamating time 1c to 2c when not using p2 or opening the door on p1 to slow the roast roasting 12 oz on p3 I add a few secs say 2:15 instead of 2:10 usually takes to a dark fc a few oz more thermal mass. so add a few secs. with 10oz p3 I stick with 210 for fc.
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 8:10am

also sometimes pops will be almost silent you might only hear 1 or 2 pops of 1st, if I think I should be in 1c I will crack the door for a sec or 2 and listen you can hear a slight low tone sizle and pop. just make sure you keep track of the time 1c 2c happen for next time you roast this bean with the same profile that way you know what to expect and can ajust accordingly. it will also be handy so you know what type of taste profile you get with that type of bean on that roast profile.
macdad

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 5:18pm

kboom1 Said:

also sometimes pops will be almost silent you might only hear 1 or 2 pops of 1st, if I think I should be in 1c I will crack the door for a sec or 2 and listen you can hear a slight low tone sizle and pop. just make sure you keep track of the time 1c 2c happen for next time you roast this bean with the same profile that way you know what to expect and can ajust accordingly. it will also be handy so you know what type of taste profile you get with that type of bean on that roast profile.

Posted February 26, 2013 link

I am currently going through some training at work and this is what they call Copious Notes.  The more notes the better.  I have also noticed that I need to be more consistent in determining the start of 1c.  The first roast, I waited until it was rolling, but I really think it was already 30 seconds (give or take) into 1c.  I have started to note what I decided 1c to be, so I can be consistent.

Thank you for you input, kboom1!
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 6:30pm

your welcome and anytime, you'll get the hang of it. you will think back in a few months after going thru all your logs and have a AH-Ha moment or 2 you get to see all the tweaks to certain profiles you've done over a period of time what worked and what didnt. if you listen closely you'll be surprised sometimes at what you thought was the beginning of 1c is acually the middle of 1c. also if you preheat for 2 min, make sure you listen for 1c to happen early. consistency and spending a little time going back thru your logs can make the difference between a good roast and a exeptional roast.
macdad

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 6:37am

Completed roast number 4 yesterday.  I think I finally achieved a City+ roast.  It is a little darker than the last and smells better too.  I stuck with P2 and tried to pick the correct setting for the machine to hit 70% power shortly after the start of 1c.  I followed the guide on Sweet Marias, although the profile in roaster thing did not reflect the changes the way I thought it should...  

Basically, I set it at 1lb P2A and took 3 minutes off before I hit start.  Based on Sweet Maria's website, it should have put the 70% power portion of the cycle to start at 9 minutes.  Roaster thing didn't move it from the 10:48 mark on the curve...

Either way, I also opened the door while the beans were really rolling in 1c until they slowed down (not completely stopped).  I think this helped, because the beans actually had a delay between 1c and 2c.  I stopped the roast about 10-15 seconds after 1c.  Now to let them rest....  I definitely think I am getting the hang of it.  I am starting to notice the changes in color and smell as the roast progresses.  It really helps determine where you are in the roast.  

The best part is that I am having a blast experimenting and I haven't totally ruined a batch of coffee yet.  Once I get a better handle on things, I will start increasing my roast size a little.  It would be nice to roast a week's worth at a time instead of 3-4 days worth.
roach56

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 7:43am

What size roast did you use at the 1 lb. setting? Where are the profiles listed at SM site? I roasted a 1/4 of kona yesterday using the 1/4 setting P5 D and after hitting start added all the time the machine allowed .The roast ended up going into the cool down during the very last pops of 1C. It would be nice if there was no limit on the amount of time you can add, would have liked to take it another minute or so.It is a light roast, we'll see how it tastes in 3-4 days.
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 10:00am

roach56 Said:

What size roast did you use at the 1 lb. setting? Where are the profiles listed at SM site? I roasted a 1/4 of kona yesterday using the 1/4 setting P5 D and after hitting start added all the time the machine allowed .The roast ended up going into the cool down during the very last pops of 1C. It would be nice if there was no limit on the amount of time you can add, would have liked to take it another minute or so.It is a light roast, we'll see how it tastes in 3-4 days.

Posted March 3, 2013 link

take your time listed when pressing 1/4 on p5 -a thru d and write it down without starting,then press the 1lb setting-p5-A then -or + to the time you wrote down,press start. you will have pleanty of time to add at the end of the roast to get it to your desired degree of roast.just be ready to hit cool so you dont catch fire (main reason for conservatave profiles on behmor)
macdad

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 11:45am

roach56 Said:

Posted March 3, 2013 link

I have been roasting 8 oz. batches.  I have been using the 1lb setting so I never have to worry about running out of time.  I never leave the roaster unattended (until it is on Cool).  I can see how a roast can get away from you very quickly.
macdad

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 5:01pm

I roasted a 12 ounce batch on Saturday.  This time I used P3 on the 1 lb setting.  I took 6 minutes off before the start of the roast, then added the time back in later in the roast.  It took a little too long to reach 1c (approx. 14 min).  However, the overall taste is improved from the roasts on the P2 setting.  It definitely has a fuller flavor (more body?) and less acidity.  Although the acidity is probably attributed more to the level of roast.  Still having a blast!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Totally geeked!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303373098373)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+