Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Espresso - third wave too fruity?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Espresso - third...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Ever
Ever
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: EC155
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 7:05pm
Subject: Espresso - third wave too fruity?

Edit: should be in "Espresso-General Discussion"

Long story short, I think I've decided that I fully appreciate the light-roast, terroir-focused roast characterized by third wave roasters, but that I simply prefer espresso that's less fruity and more caramel'y.

I've enjoyed espresso from all the major new roasters in San Francisco, and while I crave the stuff, I'm simply finding it too dang floral, too dang fruity!

I'm wondering if I can get recommendations for roasters who make respectable darker roasts - and is "darker" the word I'm even looking for? To explain, I've been drinking and preparing my own espresso for a little over two years now, so in regards to flavor I was raised on the "theories" of third wave - that it shows off the terroir, that everything prior to it was "overroasted," and so forth. That said, there's just got to be someone who makes "respectable" roasts that are sophisticated in their own right and that have characteristics of chocolate, caramel...coffee! I'm basically looking for the big Zinfandel of espresso - but of craft espresso, if that makes sense.

Does what I'm looking for exist? If so, is it made locally here in SF so I can get it within a week or two of roasting?

My Twitter: http://bit.ly/VTiS2r
 View Profile Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 7:31pm
Subject: Re: Espresso - third wave too fruity?

You have a lot of places to choose from up there. SO I have a suggestion. Pick the friendliest place you have been in that you like the coffee, if not the espresso. Go in when it is not too crowded and talk up the Barista who's working the espresso machine. You might be surprised that he'll actually tell you.

But up there, have you been to Phills? They do some dark roasting. And they do a lot of blends. Probably the cusp of third wave but not there and that might be what you are looking for.

Good luck.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 7:56pm

I'd recommend the Hayes Valley blend from Blue Bottle. Don't overlook the internet.I order from Redbird. I get my order three days from the day it is roasted and at a lower price than anything I can get here.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 8:06pm

you might try CounterCulture Espresso Tuscano.  Its old-skool "comfort food" style espresso loaded with chocolate and caramel notes.  You might also try some Black Cat Blends from Intelly

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 8:18pm

As a side note to the OP, Intelligentsia  roasts and ships out of S.F. as well as their other locations.
Ever
Ever

Espresso: EC155
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 8:40pm

Great, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks a bunch for the initial replies - I'll be adding them to our to-try list.

My Twitter: http://bit.ly/VTiS2r
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 3:15pm

I call and talk or e-mail alot of the roastmasters to find exactly what they offer and tell them what I'm looking for and ask their opinion, most of them are nice enough and if not too busy, are happy to make suggestions. I think they are thrilled to see another person so enthusiastic about coffee.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 5:19pm

JonR10 Said:

you might try CounterCulture Espresso Tuscano.  Its old-skool "comfort food" style espresso loaded with chocolate and caramel notes.  You might also try some Black Cat Blends from Intelly

Posted February 17, 2013 link

I don't think Intelly Black Cat is "comfort" espresso anymore, was really bright/tangy/sour to me, and others as well. I bought it twice and was the same each time, actually I bought it based on all the people who used to say it was deep and chocolately but apparently awhile ago they changed the blend. I thought I just couldn't pull a shot of it but I adjusted temp and dose so many times and was the same weird tangy flavor.

CC is good though.

But yeh not sure what's up with the raving demand for sour/tarty/bright coffee's, some you can't even tell the difference between normal shot and sour uner-extraction. I'll take deep, nutty/chocolate type beans and SO any day vs sipping on a lemon lol.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 8:40pm

steven_meyer Said:

I'd recommend the Hayes Valley blend from Blue Bottle. Don't overlook the internet.I order from Redbird. I get my order three days from the day it is roasted and at a lower price than anything I can get here.

Not had the famous Blue Bottle, but +1 on the Redbird espresso from Red Bird Coffee. It seems to fit the profile the OP wishes, as does Jon's Toscano, and another CC blend, Aficionado, at least the last time I ordered it. And, of course Klatch's Belle espresso.

EWDIT: The above said, I had the MOST delicious light roasted espresso shot ever at a fairly new 3rd wave cafe in East Nashville called Barista Parlor.
The shot tasted like strawberries, yet maintained a fine balance with normal coffee essences. Of course, having your shot pulled on a MONSTER espresso machine doesn't hurt. (A Slayer)

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
sgnoobie

Grinder: HMMS
Drip: v60 02
Roaster: Blue Bottle, Ritual,...
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 8:16pm

cerridwyn Said:

You have a lot of places to choose from up there. SO I have a suggestion. Pick the friendliest place you have been in that you like the coffee, if not the espresso. Go in when it is not too crowded and talk up the Barista who's working the espresso machine. You might be surprised that he'll actually tell you.

But up there, have you been to Phills? They do some dark roasting. And they do a lot of blends. Probably the cusp of third wave but not there and that might be what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Philz doesn't really do Espresso coffee, but you're right on the dark roasting - they do some serious dark and oily blends. But I always get too many fruity flavors from their coffee.....Haven't tried everything though.

+1 on the BB Hayes Espresso - it's probably what the OP is looking for.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Espresso - third...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30408000946)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+