Coffee: General Discussion
Barista fired over discovery of snarky blog making fun of customers, bosses
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Barista fired...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 8:56am
Subject: Barista fired over discovery of snarky blog making fun of customers, bosses

Barista fired over discovery of snarky blog making fun of customers, bosses

Click Here (www.foxnews.com)

Some of it:
 -- "If you remind me four times that you've ordered decaf, guess what you won't be getting ... "
 -- "I would remember your usual drink if you were a more memorable person."
 -- "I like to use a lot of big words when I tweet, that way if my boss ever finds my twitter account, he won't understand any of it."

========================

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 9:27am
Subject: Re: Barista fired over discovery of snarky blog making fun of customers, bosses

Yeah, Sprudge got him fired and has apparently taken a lot of flak for it: http://sprudge.com/we-respond-to-select-bitter-barista.html
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 9:38am
Subject: Re: Barista fired over discovery of snarky blog making fun of customers, bosses

jbviau Said:

Yeah, Sprudge got him fired and has apparently taken a lot of flak for it: http://sprudge.com/we-respond-to-select-bitter-barista.html

Posted February 13, 2013 link

I have serious issues with people who think it is funny to substitute caffeinated coffee for decaf.  Some people have heart issues and it can lead to palpitations or worse.  I guess he got what was coming to him.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 7:50pm

^^^^^

Very true.

And in any service industry - the customer is always right - even when he's wrong.

If you can't be nice to people who are not nice to you, you shouldn't be serving... even coffee.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 7:56pm

cerridwyn Said:

^^^^^

Very true.

And in any service industry - the customer is always right - even when he's wrong.

If you can't be nice to people who are not nice to you, you shouldn't be serving... even coffee.

Couldn't agree more. You have to have a certain temperament for the hospitality business. And you need to be able to take a breath, smile, and say, "No problem! I'll totally remake that drink for you." Even when you called their name 16 times, and they were sitting right in front of you. It's the nature of working with people.

-Dave-
DavecUK

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 8:26pm

TheSunInsideYou Said:

Couldn't agree more. You have to have a certain temperament for the hospitality business. And you need to be able to take a breath, smile, and say, "No problem! I'll totally remake that drink for you." Even when you called their name 16 times, and they were sitting right in front of you. It's the nature of working with people.

-Dave-

Christ....you've never ordered a Pizza in the UK then....don't piss them off or you'll get all sorts done to the thing. We're not like the USA, we have service with a scowl in a lot of places.....Could be something to do with our Tipping culture <lol>
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:51pm

DavecUK Said:

Christ....you've never ordered a Pizza in the UK then....don't piss them off or you'll get all sorts done to the thing. We're not like the USA, we have service with a scowl in a lot of places.....Could be something to do with our Tipping culture <lol>

I'll take snark over pizza surprise any day.

I do think lately Sprudge seems to be getting a bit schizoid over snarkitude in general.  And by schizoid I mean hypocritical.

- Michael
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 9:37am

TheSunInsideYou Said:

Absolutely!

But, anyone who's worked in the service industry for more than an hour has had 'bitch sessions' about customers after they leave with fellow workers.  I see these types of things as a window into the break room.
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 9:45am

CheapBastid Said:

Absolutely!

But, anyone who's worked in the service industry for more than an hour has had 'bitch sessions' about customers after they leave with fellow workers.  I see these types of things as a window into the break room.

Posted February 14, 2013 link

But break rooms are private.  Twitter is not.  I have no problem with a company firing someone over making it obvious they are not providing correct customer service.  Even based on break room rantings I would give an employee a warning and watching their subsequent behavior (deliberate service of regular over requested decaf? NO WAY is that acceptable).  If an employee's public discourse includes how he screws the customer over, it should be obvious that the company does not allow that behavior and firing is the best way to show that.

Donald Varona
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 11:27am

svyerkgeniiy Said:

I have no problem with a company firing someone over making it obvious they are not providing correct customer service.

Posted February 14, 2013 link

Agreed!

I have no issue with a company firing an 'outed' bitter employee.  The association with a 'mean' employee with a typical customer service oriented company is a disaster that requires quick action.  Mr. Watson (the Bitter Barista) even said said he felt the company acted appropriately.

My statement was more about the trend of these types of public accounts as a 'reality show'/'guilty pleasure' entertainment, and why they exist (and will continue to appear).
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Barista fired...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355020046234)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+