Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Brewed Coffee Stability
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Brewed Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:45am
Subject: Brewed Coffee Stability

How stable is brewed coffee stored at room temperature in a sealed container?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 1:49pm
Subject: Re: Brewed Coffee Stability

Like any food product, the quality goes down hill after the food is prepared. The better coffee shops I go to will brew directly into an air pot then put a timer on the pot. At one hour post brew, it is dumped down the drain and a new pot is made.

I have had coffee last all day in a sealed air pot but there is a marked down hill slide of quality as time goes on. How much loss of quality you can live with is a personal thing and only you can decide.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 2:16pm

I think metal-filtered coffee is less stable when stored than paper-filtered coffee, but then again I rarely make the latter (or make more than I can drink quickly), so I don't feel confident in saying so. What's your take?
jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 3:30pm

jbviau Said:

I think metal-filtered coffee is less stable when stored than paper-filtered coffee...

Posted February 7, 2013 link

I have that impression as well. Could it be that the fines continue to extract leading to bitter notes?

In well-filtered coffee what breaks down over time? How long does it take? Does refrigeration help?

Would a % TDS measurement of freshly brewed, well-filtered coffee be noticibly different from one made after the coffee was stored in a sealed vial at room temperature for a week?
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 5:00pm
Subject: .

lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 5:24pm

jpender Said:

How stable is brewed coffee stored at room temperature in a sealed container?

I've had coffees taste sweeter after two or three hours in an air pot. Paper filtered. I posted about that somewhere around here.

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 6:21pm

lifeandpeace Said:

I've had coffees taste sweeter after two or three hours in an air pot. Paper filtered. I posted about that somewhere around here.

Doesn't an air pot keep the coffee hot?
jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 6:27pm

Netphilosopher Said:

I think the key is exposure to heat - you need the heat to extract, but the heat will then go on to convert flavor components (probably chlorogenic acids) in the coffee to worse tasting compounds.  I have a few friends that were wondering how to improve their thermos coffee, and I suggested they make it the night before and refrigerate it before putting it in the thermos.  Then, when they want coffee, pour some out and microwave it.  So far, there seems to be anecdotal consensus that this does in fact make a better cup the next morning and later into the day.  Try it - you might like it.

So cooling it quickly and especially refrigerating it should allow brewed coffee to "keep" for some length of time, at least a day?

Netphilosopher Said:

In general, refractive index of even very well-filtered or centrifuged coffee will creep up over time (meaning the measurement of %TDS will increase over time).  This is true even if refrigerated.  There are different explanations for this phenomenon depending on whom you consult - one thought was undissolved coffee continues to dissolve into solution, but I just don't buy this explanation.  Filtering with a 0.2micron syringe filter, or doing so after 10 minutes centrifuge - there just CAN'T be enough there to continue to extract.  Small particles are the first to fully dissolve to the core - there shouldn't be anything left to change the %TDS.

So my thinking is some compounds are changing over time to other compounds that affect the refractive index - but not the actual solute.  I couldn't tell you if it's lipids, or low temperature pyrolysis, or trace oxidation.  I'll probably never know for sure, but I know enough that the "continuing to extract" explanation doesn't explain extremely clarified coffee changing about the same amount over a period of 5-6 days.  One would also expect a coffee that has fines (like from a metal filter or french press) to change more, because it has more fines.  But my few checks show it changes about the same amount.

That's interesting. So you can't set aside samples for later refractometer testing without losing accuracy?

How much change have you seen, roughly, in % TDS per day?
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 7:53am

Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 7:56am

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Brewed Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327418804169)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+