Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Growing Coffee
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Growing Coffee  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
joshuamurphy75
joshuamurphy75
Expertise: Professional
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 7:32am
Subject: Growing Coffee

I recently purchased a coffee tree, or maybe I should say seedling on line. Does anybody here have experience about how I should take care of it? I don't know if I will get good coffee off of it, but it is cool just to say that I have one.

I live in south texas, growing zone 9, at about sea level. The soil is alkaline loam. The tree has not arrived yet, so I do have some time for site preparation.
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:44am
Subject: Re: Growing Coffee

With a few neighboring exceptions, virtually all of the worlds coffee is grown within sixteen degrees, north or south, of the equator.  You are about twice that angular displacement.  (Ok, ok, Hawaii is 20 degrees north)  Coffee bushes thrive in 3K - 6K feet elevations.  You are at least 1/2 mile too low with the likely effect that the south Texas humidity will not be to the plants liking and even if you provided unshaded direct sunlight all day long it would be less than the mile-high radiation to which the plant's parent stock were adapted.  I do not know what triggers the cycles of flowering and fruiting for coffee but plants are effected by day length, temperature and/or moisture or dryness.  It might be a low likelihood that the accustomed combination of conditions for flowering exist in your climate.

You remind me of me when I lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma and wanted to grow Italian cypresses.

Coca bushes like the same conditions as coffee.  Have you heard of any illicit coca plantations being raided in the U.S.?

Merely owning one will probably be an unique feat in your locale.  The trick might be to keep it looking presentable.  My best suggestion is to locate an horticultural society (local or online) where at least one member comes forth with some experience with coffee bushes.  Perhaps if you write to one of our coffee moguls who frequently travel to the coffee plantations, George Howell, for instance, he might be able to direct you to a growers' or hobby association that could provide more focused information than us CG busybodies.

Good Luck,

B
DScottK

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:34am

First off, let me state that I'm not a horticultural expert by any means, so take all this with a grain of salt.  I purchased a coffee tree from my local farmers market almost 3 years ago.  The first two years, it did outstanding.  After that I moved it from my home to my workplace cubicle and it nearly died.  Simply put, these are crazy finicky and moody plants.  I managed to take a cutting of the nearly dead one, let it root in some water, replanted it and its been doing fine for a year now.  

Some other points worth mentioning.  
Mine gets about 10 hours of direct sunlight each day through the window.  I've heard indirect works better, but I'm scared to move mine at this point.  
I put water from my fish tank.  There is a definite difference in how healthy it looks vs when I just use tap water.
It needs to be rotated in the window every week or, so it doesn't start looking plush on one side and lousy on the other.
I keep getting these brown spots on the bottom leaves, and don't know why.
From my understanding, these don't like frequent waterings, but don't like to be dry either.  I water mine about once a week, maybe every 5-6 days in the summer.  On occasion, I mist them with some water too.

Hopefully, the company you ordered these from will provide some guidance in the package.  My wife always tells me that this is just a novelty, but I remain hopeful I'll get some cherries off it someday. Good luck!

Is the plant you're getting Arabica? I'm in the Baltimore area too, which I know doesn't provide favorable climate conditions either.

DScottK: IMG_20130122_131349.jpg
joshuamurphy75
joshuamurphy75
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 3:29pm

Yes it is arabica. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I have tried the impossible in my garden. I often try to grow unusual stuff, and I often fail. To be honest, I don't even care too much if it fruits. Just having it is cool. Maybe I can grow it next to my cardamom plant.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 2:22pm

You might need to make a micro climate for it, they like warm temps (look where they grow) and if producing fruit, shade. You might get lucky and not need a hot house for it but then again, ........ ?

My guess is that you will need more than one to cross pollinate but I can kill a cactius so I am not an expert by any means!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:20pm

Ya, what Wayne said! Consider indoor micro climate management. If you have the time and interest, hydroponics and grow light might provide you a fine display of the plant which provides you so much pleasure. And, you may end up with a better shot of fruiting some years down the road. Tho, obviously this will never be a production source. Of course, after making said reply I then look at your personals-sorry Josh, I'm certain you're well aware of all the preceding. Cheers!
-Chris
joshuamurphy75
joshuamurphy75
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 3:03pm

I was hoping that my outdoor climate would be hot enough. It occasionally reaches the 90s (degrees F) in the middle of December here. As I am typing this, it is probably about 85, but I would love to find an excuse to set up a hydroponics lab. Maybe I should purchase a few more plants and have them growing in different micro-climates to determine what would work down here.

Oh, and about my bio, I have been too lazy to update it. I am no longer working at the Italian Restaurant, I am now a waiter at a country club. It is a step down, but they pay is better.
SeanStarke

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 7:20am

A frost will severely damage it, and a good hard frost will kill it, plain and simple.

You will need to move it indoors in the winter months.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Growing Coffee  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.234946966171)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+