Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
When Milk hits $8 per gallon
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > When Milk hits...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 3:18pm
Subject: Re: When Milk hits $8 per gallon

al_bongo Said:

Thanks and thanks Len for clarifying this. That is what I meant, though I apologise for the tone of the last line of my post which was some what harsh.

Posted January 1, 2013 link

My bad on the misinterpretation of which (milk or latte) was the luxury, and AlBongo, we're good!
I'll blame it all my recent cataract surgery! :>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jwark
jwark

Espresso: Le'Lit PL041TQE
Grinder: Le'Lit PL53
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 8:00pm

I'll buy a cow before I give up milk. I already pay $8 a gallon anyway as I buy it fresh from a local farm. Makes for a great latte.

“It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.”  - Jack Handy
 View Profile Link to this post
Cafedenda

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Wega Conical, Mazzer SJ
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 8:40pm

Raw milk is around $9 for 1/2 gallon at my local Sprout Market.  I tried it once.  A lot of activities in the stomach like the good bacteria doing their work.  Neat stuff :).  The taste was surprisingly similar to regular milk though.  I was expecting a much richer flavor
jwark
jwark

Espresso: Le'Lit PL041TQE
Grinder: Le'Lit PL53
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 9:35pm

Interesting. I didn't know they sold it in sprouts. We have one here but they don't. It's illegal. I thought the FDA prevented that in all states? Maybe they get around it somehow.

I'm not really sure what they do to it to get it in there and have it be fresh. It doesn't last very long when it's raw. Are you sure they don't pasteurize it? That's what takes out most of the flavor. It also matters what farm you get it from. I've tried 5 different farms and some of them are actually worse than the regular milk. It's definitely richer and tastes a lot better than regular milk to me. Even so, they are free grazing cows at the farm I go to so if they ate something strange I do get the occasional off tasting milk. They always refund it and give me a new fresh batch, though.

I would actually be very cautious about buying mass distributed raw milk. There actually is good reason why the FDA keeps distribution illegal. I would never buy it without visiting the farm and inspecting their operation. If they are not extremely careful and clean it can make you very sick and even kill you.

“It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.”  - Jack Handy
brandkb

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 12:56pm

I couldn't tell you how much milk costs per gallon, either. I want to say the organic milk I get is 4.79/half gallon? I usually get 1% and have noticed that stores have been out of it (or just choosing not to stock it).

"Shake, rattle and roll..."
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 3:40pm

You guys crack me up.

RapidCoffee: milk.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > When Milk hits...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232517004013)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+