Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Kopi Luwak
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Kopi Luwak  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
pvkalso
pvkalso
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: nothing special
Vac Pot: An ancient Cory - stainless...
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:50pm
Subject: Kopi Luwak

Has anyone tried the Kopi Luwak, sometimes available from J Martinez?   It's purported to be THE most expensive, and THE most unique coffee in the world, and given how it's "processed", I think I can understand why.

Mod Note: Seller link removed

It appears they don't have any right now, but they have offered it in the past. Before I spend $300 for a pound for it (they also offer it by the ounce), I'd like to get someone's opinion about it, it's supposedly "unique" flavor, and whether they thought it was worth the price.  I've been thinking that I'd like to try it once before I die, but if I do, I WOULD like it to be something special, something different from the Jamicans and Konas.  I've left a "note of interest" on their site, to be notified when they have it again, but I'd sure like to hear someone's opinion of it that has tried it, before I buy it. Thanks a bunch.  

Peter
 View Profile Link to this post
iroast

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 1:05pm
Subject: Re: Kopi Luwak

I think I can live w/o ever trying coffee that expensive.

By the way, there are variations on this: from elephants...from a man on Craigslist.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 1:07pm

Welcome to coffeegeek!

The vast majority of "Kopi Luwak" sold in the world is faked, and none of it is worth trying.  Plus, a fair portion of the "real" stuff is produced using methods that are cruel to the animals.  For these reasons, any marketing of Luwak coffee is severely frowned upon at coffeegeek.  

That's why I have removed your posted link to the seller.  We do not endorse or condone any sales of Kopi Luwak, and we have a probation period for new members as well (our rules are shown at the bottom of every forum page).  

If you want to try the world's most exclusive and expensive coffee (for real) then look up Panama Esmerelda Geisha
Another option might be to find "Cup of Excellence" auction lot coffees from some of the other countries.   :)

Cheers,
Jon

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 1:17pm

Here's A LINK to a roaster in NC that sells freshly roasted microlots, including the Hacienda Esmerelda (and Aida Battle's Grande Reserve!).  
And here's a link to A List of Roasters - all offer high-quality freshly roasted beans.

Any coffee that any of these roasters offers will be far superior to anything that is sold as "Kopi Luwak"

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 7:59pm

JonR10 Said:

Here's A LINK to a roaster in NC that sells freshly roasted microlots, including the Hacienda Esmerelda (and Aida Battle's Grande Reserve!).  
And here's a link to A List of Roasters - all offer high-quality freshly roasted beans.

Any coffee that any of these roasters offers will be far superior to anything that is sold as "Kopi Luwak"

Posted December 26, 2012 link

Jon, excellent work there, sir.
Before I croak, I hope to have that precious Esmeralda twixt my lips and over my gums! Gotta get some music on the radio first. LOL

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
doubleOsoul
doubleOsoul

Espresso: Elektra Epoque,3 MCals,...
Grinder: Mazzer, Cunill, Pede (s),...
Vac Pot: vintage
Drip: Nope...
Roaster: I hand roast
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 9:05pm

Dooky coffee is a pass for me too. There's no coffee so good that I'm willing to overlook the fact that it went through some animal's colon.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 9:06pm

Can't we create a program so that -- whenever the words "Kopi Luwak" are entered into the Post a Reply section -- a power surge runs back along the internet and fries the hard drive of the offending perpetrator . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:18pm

It's true that the commercial production of Kopi Luwak is cruel to civet cats, because thee animals are forced eat large amounts of coffee berries and therefore suffer from malnutrition, but there are other exclusive coffees as well like Black Ivory, for example. I'm not sure what production does to the elephants though.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 4:59am

00 Lord not again

To the original poster please use the search feature of the forum to find the many many post about this dreadful product and how we feel about it thank you.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 6:58am

Let me be honest with the original question.

My daughter bought me some as a gift, it was, I think, the real stuff, as it was before all the hype.

It was one of the most nasty uncoffee tasting coffee's to pass my lips. About all I could say is yes, I tried it, and no it is so not worth the money.

The claim, made back then, was that the digestive juices of the civet removed the bitterness and acidity (not like the coffee characteristic, but like the eats your belly type). Okay it did that and removed the taste too. A good cold press of a nice roast does it better and still tastes good.

As to Esmerelda - I found it just as big a waste of money - it was too tea like for me. If I want tea I'll make tea. I've heard several roasters of the high end Geisha's say you love 'em or hate 'em and there is no middle point.

You live in Arizona? I don't remember the city right now, but there are some good places there, including Cartel and some not so bad places for foo-foo drinks, i.e, flavored latte's, if that's your poison.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Kopi Luwak  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.274225950241)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+