Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Bought a Brazen.. (new to home brewing) Now what?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Bought a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
TheEther

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:05pm
Subject: Bought a Brazen.. (new to home brewing) Now what?

First post BTW.. thanks!

I've been trying coffee at different places and I notice everything from coffee I have to sissify to make it drinkable to coffee that I can drink black although I'm typically not a black coffee drinker.  Honestly after doing all of the reading, I'm not completely sure I've ever had a proper cup of coffee correctly brewed.  I certainly don't find Starbuck's black coffee to be anything special and frankly I find McDonald's coffee, at least here locally, to be much nicer than $tarbucks.  I bought a Brazen 3 days ago (dont have it yet), that led me to do a bunch of coffee/roaster research.  I totally get this is a slippery slippery slope at this point. :)  

I guess my question is this, if I was going to buy coffee green and roast a home, what kinds of coffee should I be looking at?  There's so many.  I was thinking I might roast with my heat gun until I decide what kind of roaster I might buy (I'm somewhat of a handy type too so I'm comfortable with heat gun roasting till I figure out what I want to do).  I am one that doesn't usually have to have the best but typically buy more than I'll ever need.  I don't drink a LOT of coffee, but like fine cigars, when I want one, I want a good one.  When I'm entertaining, I want my guests to experience real coffee also.

Thanks all for the help, and Merry Christmas!

Bryan
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 1:43pm
Subject: Re: Bought a Brazen.. (new to home brewing) Now what?

Bryan, welcome to CG.

IMO, as you have a new, revolutionary brewer (in several ways) with several options, why not treat yourself and order a couple of lbs of coffee online, or if you have a local roaster?
This way, your roasting "skills" won't come into play. Several roasters, such as Redbird offer 5 lb specials including shipping. You can safely freeze fresh roasted beans in airtight Mason Jars.

I believe you will enjoy your Brazen to it's fullest the first few weeks a bit more, knowing that you were getting pretty much exactly what the artisan roaster had in mind.

The Brazen is a breeze to program, and you'll be up and running in no time. Read the manual, as the 1st time cleaning instructions are important, as they are on any appliance that generates heat and liquid.

If you are going to roast, email a vendor who sells roasters AND green, tell them your project usage per week, your schedule, and they can direct you to the roaster best suited to you, in your price range.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 3:54pm

I agree that maybe buying some roasted coffee first may be a good way to go.  It is overwhelming how many variables there are.  If I had to do over, I would start with Brazen plus a good grinder (Baratza Encore being the go-to recommendation), and buy known good roasted beans.  Just to eliminate variables.  The other variables are: grind quality & coarseness.  Roast level.  Bean quality and taste.

Here are some additional tips for starting out.

- Pay attention to the roast date on the coffee you buy.  Not more than 2 weeks old and fresher the better because you can drink it longer.
- Avoid bins and buy sealed packaged whole beans with a roast date on the package.
- For that matter avoid buying at grocery stores: there are too many mistakes to make there.  Seek out a local roaster or mail order.
- I find 6 cups makes better coffee than 4, using the auto settings.
- A medium or medium coarse grind may be more likely to yield acceptable coffee.  20-22 on my Virtuoso, although the settings vary between grinders.
- Paper filters (Melitta white 8-12 cup flat) may be more likely to yield an acceptable taste than the metal filter
- Centrals (El Salvador) tend to be nice mild coffees that are popular.  Also Colombia.
- Washed coffees (as opposed to wet hulled or dry processed) are more predictable and usually preferred by most
- Medium or light roasts are more likely to taste good or at least interesting.  Beware the way roast level is communicated in the mass market is messed up.
- Brazen indicated temp of 201*F will work well for many coffees.

These are just starting points and you may find you gravitate to the complete opposite in every area!  For example, some people will say they prefer insanely fine grinds, metal filters, dry processed Brazils, and 185*F.  I'd take it all with a grain of salt but there's nothing really illegitimate about any of those choices.  Just remember it's the internet, nuff said.

MC and enjoy the ride!

Look up Sweet Maria's if you haven't already.  They are a great shop and there's plenty of information there to devour.
TheEther

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 6:33pm

Great advice all, thank you so very much.  On your advice, I've been able to locate (count em) one, roaster in my area.  This roaster is currently roasting three varieties of single origin beans.  ...from their website: Peru Cajamarca organic (nearly sold out!), our Ethiopia Sidamo natural process, and our terrific Sulawesi Toraja Grade A microlot.  I'll grab a grinder and start with these. Is there any reason I should buy something other than an encore for grinding?  It's definitely in the price range of what I think is fair for no more than I'm doing.

Bryan
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 8:08am

For what your grinding for, the Encore is more than enough. If you decide to move to espresso it won't be good as you'll need a capable grinder, but for coarse needs (yours) the Encore is great for the money.
MJW

Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 4:34pm

TheEther Said:

Is there any reason I should buy something other than an encore for grinding?  It's definitely in the price range of what I think is fair for no more than I'm doing.
Bryan

Posted December 24, 2012 link

I think it's not known.  I chose the Virtuoso because it's faster but I hate the timer knob.  CMIN is right the Encore is definitely the best value for money, and may be as good as you can do for all practical purposes.  It's just not known yet although everyone who owns an Encore is happy with it.

Other than the low-end Baratzas I just mentioned, there's the Bunn LPG or Ditting grinder, $500 or >$1000 respectively.  I've seen no claims or evidence that either of these yield better taste than the Baratza grinders.  Maybe they do but I haven't seen a serious comparison.

The only other reason I can think of to get an LPG for example, is that it's built to last.  The Baratza might break, but if it breaks you buy new parts and fix it.  Or buy another one.

Most other grinders like Mazzers, Macap, are designed for espresso and might not work well for drip coffee.  (Google: "bimodal grind distribution")
TheEther

Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 7:11pm

I bought a Baratza Preciso refurb from Baratzas site.  Should do anything I want to do.  Thank you very much for steering me in th right direction.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 8:50pm

TheEther Said:

I bought a Baratza Preciso refurb from Baratzas site.  Should do anything I want to do.  Thank you very much for steering me in th right direction.

Posted December 25, 2012 link

While the Encore does a fine job, you'll have an even better result with the Preciso. I own one (with the Esatto attachment for weight grinding) and love it.
I'd get a nice digital scale to get consistency pot to pot. Get one withy .1 gram accuracy, as that's what you'll want should you decide to add an espresso maker to your coffee asenal!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MJW

Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 11:56pm

IMAWriter Said:

While the Encore does a fine job, you'll have an even better result with the Preciso. I own one (with the Esatto attachment for weight grinding) and love it.

Posted December 25, 2012 link

Robert, where have you seen these two grinders compared?  For all I know the Encore may be better for drip brewing than the Preciso...
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 9:02am

Mike, right, there's precious little info. online comparing the Encore to the Preciso AFAIK. I did find this:

Click Here (prima-coffee.com)

Here's the $$ quote:

I matched up the Encore against two other Baratza Models: the now-retired Maestro Plus as well as the Virtuoso Preciso. I do feel like out of the three grinders, the Encore performed third best in brewing trials, but the margins between the three were very close. I attribute the main disadvantage of the Encore to the lack of granularity—I was able to dial in the other grinders more effectively. However, the final products of most brews were so similar between grinders that the difference was hardly notable, especially at coarser grinds used for the Chemex and Café Solo.

Grain of salt, YMMV, etc.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Bought a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283296108246)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+