Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
What's the deal with Tim Hortons coffee?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > What's the deal...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:56am
Subject: What's the deal with Tim Hortons coffee?

I don't get it.

There are two Tim Hortons franchises where I live which are practically within a 20 minute walk from each other and less than a 5 minute drive away.

All morning and for a good chunk of the day, I see long long lineups of vehicles waiting to get their coffee through the drive through. God help you if you ask for a bagel, while holding up
other peoples double-doubles.

I've had their coffee and it is OK, but I don't really get what is so special about it. It is just normal drip coffee, usually with cream and sugar added. Nothing special.

I've heard rumors that they put chocolate in with the grounds.. other people speculate they put in a little bit of cocaine, which judging from peoples need to have their Timmies in the morning, one has to wonder. :-)
(I know I know.. they don't really...)

I just don't get it.. Have any seasoned coffee geeks been able to put a traditional cup of Timmies up against their own drip coffee and compare?

I know they just use traditional Bunn coffee brewing equipment, nothing special there.. Although, come to think of it, I've never seen them grind coffee.... Maybe I just haven't noticed.

I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:49am
Subject: Re: What's the deal with Tim Hortons coffee?

This past Labor Day weekend we visited some good friends in Grand Bend, ON. Every morning, they (and unfortunately anyone to happened to be visiting) would have to make the trek down to the local "Timmie's" for coffee. They had a Tim Horton coffee maker and a can of his coffee, sitting on their kitchen counter, but nooooo, we had to walk down there and join "Tim Horton's Coffee Circus". I was simply in awe at the lines and traffic jam around the building. We waited in line for 20 minutes for plain old drip coffee. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I'm sure I could have duplicated it with what they had sitting on their kitchen counter. I don't get it either and second the idea that they must put cocaine in what they brew at the store. Luckily my withdrawal symptoms were minimal and I can attest to being Tim Horton's clean ever since. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:20pm
Subject: .

emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 3:00pm

My first thought was...Who the f#%k is Tim Horton?

Ok so I see it's some coffee house sort of franchise. Why did people in LA get up at 5am to get in line for Krispy Kreme? It's just a freakin' donut for christs sake!

In my world a double-double is a cheeseburger...and has been since I was a little kid. For the Californians...I grew up less than a mile from in-n-out back when they were pretty scarce.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 5:24pm

I remember an interview on CBC a few years back with one of the marketing guru's with Tim Horton's.  I remember something along the lines of, 'well we knew we didn't have a really great product, but we had to find something that made it appealing to all Canadians'. And that's what they did; they've somehow managed to convince Canadians that we can take pride in sharing this brand together coast to coast.  It is not about the product. It is a deep seeded notion that this is what Canadians do.  And, although the brand has expanded to some extent south of the border, they don't have this nationalistic element to draw from. It is only about the crappy product that they offer, and that is a difficult mountain to climb as they don't really have a 'hook' in the US as in Canada.
I find the above posts a bit overly complimentary for this brand. I find their product absolutely undrinkable. As a business, they have done an incredible job of turning profits; but as a product, no thank you. I have had several free cups thrust in my hands, and will pass it to someone else, or try to abstain politely.  Very sour and just not pleasant at all.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 6:07am
Subject: .

JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 7:33am

Tim Horton's is a Canadian chain.

I find their coffee to be usually fresh, drinkable and not fantastic but at least consistent.  I believe they use 18% cream to improve it (?).

Their donuts are excellent.  I particularly like their apple-fritters and blueberry fritters and honey crullers.  Their 'Tim-Bits' (...holes from the donuts) are a big hit with the kids.

A few years ago they recognized that folks were staying away from donuts for health reasons.  They launched bagels and made 'bagel' a household word all across Canada.

They regularly come out with new products and their coffee-shops are crowded at lunch time.  I particularly remember their 'Chilli-In-A-Bread-Bowl' that went well for a couple of years.  

You have to remember that ...it's not about the coffee ...it's about making money.

Jerry
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 7:04pm

Tim Horton bought out the old Bess Eaton chain here in New England back in 2004 & tried to compete with Dunkin Donuts. By 2010 they'd given up & closed about 35 stores. Nothing great about DD's coffee either but some folks love it. They do make the best chocolate glazed donut though.

John
marlap
marlap

Espresso: Starbucks Barista Athena
Grinder: Braun KM 30 (modded)
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 7:35pm

emradguy Said:

My first thought was...Who the f#%k is Tim Horton?

Ok so I see it's some coffee house sort of franchise. Why did people in LA get up at 5am to get in line for Krispy Kreme? It's just a freakin' donut for christs sake!

In my world a double-double is a cheeseburger...and has been since I was a little kid. For the Californians...I grew up less than a mile from in-n-out back when they were pretty scarce.

Posted December 20, 2012 link

Tim Horton was a Hockey player for the Toronto Maple Leafs franchise, who later opened up a coffee shop named after himself. The rest as they say is history.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 8:16pm

Wow, a Tim Horton's thread and not a peep from my bud CraigA. :>D
Must be having a beer...
A Belated Happy Hanukkah and a future merry Christmas to all...and to all a good-night!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > What's the deal...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271044969559)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+