Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
What's the deal with Tim Hortons coffee?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > What's the deal...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 9:36pm
Subject: Re: What's the deal with Tim Hortons coffee?

IMAWriter Said:

Wow, a Tim Horton's thread and not a peep from my bud CraigA. :>D
Must be having a beer...

Posted December 21, 2012 link

LOL! {;-D
Been watching it all from the start., & yeah you have that down pat/right & darn tootin'!

1- 2 -3 -__-|... Signing off for the night now. ;)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 1:16am

Wow.

Thanks for all of the replies!

To Net philosipher:

I had no idea whatsoever that "Pulling the pot" would make such a huge difference. Guess I learned something new today.

You are a lot braver than me when it comes to showing the staff how to make a cup of coffee! :-)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 1:23pm

I don't really know how it happened, but Tim Horton's has become "Comfort Coffee" in canada. As previously stated, it is fresh and consistent (not to mention 18% cream). And quite frankly the prices are excellent leaving absolutely no reason to spend more at the other large chains like Starbucks or Second Cup.

The other props I'll offer is that Tim's does get involved in the community by supporting their camps, supporting sports teams and they are always willing to support an event. That goes a long way for me. Ad who doesn't like the "Tim Bits" hockey players!!

They do a good job for a large operation.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 3:05pm

Bud, what's the deal with McDonalds? Millions of people line up for them, too, but no one has ever suggested that the Big Mac is the single best burger in the world.

So, when it comes to Tim Horton's (or Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks), what's the difference between them and McDonald's?  (I know, Tim Horton's in Canadian.)  ;^)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Silas

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 5:23pm

Went on my first cruise last year....to Alaska.  The coffee on the Norwegian Cruise line was flat AWFUL!!  Even the little Java cafe onboard was bad....the "barista" didn't tighten the shot and it shot across the room while I was watching.

We stopped at a few Alaskan towns and no good coffee there.  Then on the Gaston Peninsula(?) found a Tim Horton's.  Hadn't heard of it, but noticed it was full of people.  Of course the little town had only about 200 people at most in it.

Wandered in and found fresh, great tasting coffee!!  I was delighted!!  It wasn't as good as my coffee, but heads and shoulders above everything I'd been served the past week....even in "gourmet" restaurants!  Heard about the hockey player thing and his wife selling the franchise or something like that.

All in all, a FAR cry above ANY Starbucks I've been to.  I don't know why the coffee is good.....I DO know it is not CHARRED!  I watched as pot after pot was served.....no time for stale coffee.

Wish we had one down here in the South.
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 6:34pm

You ignore the obvious. It's simply a drug delivery system...and we are all addicts:

Click Here (www.energyfiend.com)

That's more than double a Redbull.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 6:36pm
Subject: .

qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 5:09am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Bud, what's the deal with McDonalds? Millions of people line up for them, too, but no one has ever suggested that the Big Mac is the single best burger in the world.

Posted December 23, 2012 link

That's true.. Their burgers are cheap and fast but that's about it. Tims coffee kind of shares those things as well, but I know I can make drip for cheaper.

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

So, when it comes to Tim Horton's (or Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks), what's the difference between them and McDonald's?  (I know, Tim Horton's in Canadian.)

You know, it's funny that you mentioned that. Up here in Canada, McDonalds have revamped themselves to take on more of a "Cafe" kind of look and they've been touting "McCafe" espresso
based drinks. They suddenly think they're a cafe because they've bought a bunch of commercial grade Jura Super-Automatic machines. From the point of view of their management, it's an
excellent business decision. I've had their cappuccino. It's OK, it's drinkable and is slightly better than what one can get out of a star****s. Its also quite cheap as well, so can't complain there.

Endo Said:

You ignore the obvious. It's simply a drug delivery system...and we are all addicts:

Damn, I KNEW it!!! Maybe something in their Arabica blend has a much higher caffeine content than other blends of coffee? The Tims here now also serve espresso drinks using a super auto. I
think they also use Jura machines similar to what McDonalds use. It makes me wonder if they use the same beans in those machines. I'm also tempted just to ask the manager for a Kilogram
of their beans and experiment with them, making both drip and espresso on the same beans.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 8:16pm

qualin Said:

Damn, I KNEW it!!! Maybe something in their Arabica blend has a much higher caffeine content than other blends of coffee? The Tims here now also serve espresso drinks using a super auto. I
think they also use Jura machines similar to what McDonalds use. It makes me wonder if they use the same beans in those machines. I'm also tempted just to ask the manager for a Kilogram
of their beans and experiment with them, making both drip and espresso on the same beans.

Posted December 24, 2012 link

As you prolly know, get the equivalent measure of a Jura made Americano (say 2oz shot 6oz water) versus and 8oz drip coffee, you'll have significantly LESS caffeine in the Jura cup.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
doubleOsoul
doubleOsoul

Espresso: Elektra Epoque,3 MCals,...
Grinder: Mazzer, Cunill, Pede (s),...
Vac Pot: vintage
Drip: Nope...
Roaster: I hand roast
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 9:01pm

When I was at the SCAA this year, a few of us were having a good laugh over the Tim Horton's buyer and his persuit for the cheapest beans. The menu is like eating processed food from the Dollar Tree - mmm.... nutritious! The food and drink are cheap like their customers who wouldn't know a good donut if it slapped them upside the head...lol.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > What's the deal...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327829122543)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+