Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
BeanSafe Coffee Canister
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > BeanSafe Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 12:38pm
Subject: BeanSafe Coffee Canister

While shopping at Bed Bath & Beyond the other day, I noticed a new coffee storage product on their shelves. It's called BeanSafe, and it has a one way valve with the word "VALVE NEVER NEEDS REPLACING" in big letters on a sticker on the unit. I was very very tempted to pick one up, but first wanted to see if anyone here has used one yet? If not..I'll be the guinea-pig.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40597430
 View Profile Link to this post
iroast

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 1:49pm
Subject: Re: BeanSafe Coffee Canister

Don't forget your 20% off coupon ;-)
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 2:37pm

ah, this is the product whose blurb claims that coffee beans are damaged by exposure to CO2...
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:17pm

dyqik Said:

ah, this is the product whose blurb claims that coffee beans are damaged by exposure to CO2...

Posted November 16, 2012 link

Irrelevant. The product is an airtight container with a one way valve that the manufacturer claims will never need replacing. That is what is necessary for roasted bean storage, and anything else the marketing team comes up with is in my opinion irrelevant.

I picked one up today. There is a small glass bead inside the silicone vent that apparently moves slightly up when enough pressure is built up against it from CO2. It is supposed to rise just enough to let the pressure out, then fall without letting oxygen back in. At least that's how I'm assuming it works.

I'm testing it out with a pound of Sweet Maria's French Roast Blend that I roasted well into second crack. Darker roasts vent off a ton of CO2 so I figured this bean would be great for testing.

Will report back!
harmolodic

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 7:46am

Please do report back. It looks like a slightly more robust version of the canisters available at Sweet Maria's: Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com)

I have several and like them very much.
BlackPoodle
BlackPoodle

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:29am

I use something similar... Called Ziplock airtight containers, and swap them out once every couple of months.

They seem to work well for me. Although truth be told, I haven't noticed a huge difference between the ones in the air tight ziplock containers and the ones I had been storing normally..

So, it could just be an elaborate marketing ploy. Now, if it were vacuum sealed, that might be another story, but it isn't...

I haven't ever tried vacuum sealing coffee, I don't think it's ever been suggested? Hmmm... Maybe I just had a new million dollar idea... :D
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:41am

I'm honestly unsure if this is working. Upon closer inspection, there is a small hole inside the bottom silicone vent. The glass ball literally rolls free inside the sillicone and just rests inside the small hole whenever the unit is on a smooth surface. Meaning if you tilt the unit or even disturb it slightly, the glass ball rolls out of the hole and can let oxygen into the container. That's all fine and good, however I'm not sure if the ball is actually sealing anything by sitting inside the hole. My suspicions arise from the fact that if I smell the vent, the smell of coffee is VERY strong even after over a weeks roast. If the container were sealed, shouldn't there be no smell arising? It COULD just be that the sillicone has absorbed some of the smell, but I really don't know how to test this.

Anyone have any input or ideas on how to see if this thing is actually working?
BlackPoodle
BlackPoodle

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:29am

EvanOz85 Said:

I'm honestly unsure if this is working. Upon closer inspection, there is a small hole inside the bottom silicone vent. The glass ball literally rolls free inside the sillicone and just rests inside the small hole whenever the unit is on a smooth surface. Meaning if you tilt the unit or even disturb it slightly, the glass ball rolls out of the hole and can let oxygen into the container. That's all fine and good, however I'm not sure if the ball is actually sealing anything by sitting inside the hole. My suspicions arise from the fact that if I smell the vent, the smell of coffee is VERY strong even after over a weeks roast. If the container were sealed, shouldn't there be no smell arising? It COULD just be that the sillicone has absorbed some of the smell, but I really don't know how to test this.

Anyone have any input or ideas on how to see if this thing is actually working?

Posted November 30, 2012 link

i would go with the fact that it's a one way valve then you will smell something coming out. Otherwise it wouldn't be a valve... But the whole description doesn't really make sense when you look at it from the valve part...

It says "One way valve to let the co2 out while still letting the oxygen in"... What? I'm sorry, but one way is one way... So, at most it's faulty description, at worst false advertising.

If the ball rolls around there no matter what, then it is not a one way valve in any shape or form.  But to as if it works.. You'll need to report back and store some coffee normally, and some using this new found miracle and let us know the difference :)
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:41pm

BlackPoodle Said:

If the ball rolls around there no matter what, then it is not a one way valve in any shape or form.

Posted November 30, 2012 link

Well it doesn't roll around no matter what..only if you tilt the container. It sits in the hole, otherwise.

I understand that a one way valve would let out a smell, but shouldn't it only be letting it out while the beans are off-gassing enough to lift the ball? These beans have finished most of their off-gassing yet there is still a constant smell of roasted coffee emanating from the valve.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 1:09pm

According to Illy, degassing proceeds over a period of weeks or even months. Even a small amount of gas could carry a strong scent.

But does the container seal when the internal pressure is less than or equal to the external pressure? One way you might try to test this is to place a small cup of warm water inside the container, close it, allow it to cool, and then see if you can hear an inrush of air when you open it (or disturb it).

As an aside, silicone airlocks are also marketed to home beer brewers and winemakers. A do-it-yourself approach is to buy one of those (they cost less than $5) and then use silicone adhesive to attach it to the jar of your choice.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > BeanSafe Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295175075531)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+