Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
coffee refractometer
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 17 last page next page
Author Messages
TimothyH
TimothyH
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: silvia (pid); Europiccola
Grinder: mazzer mini (doser)
Vac Pot: yama 3 cup; bodum press pot
Drip: capresso;
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Sep 20, 2010, 2:29pm
Subject: coffee refractometer

According to their claims this won a best new product award at SCCA.  Does anyone know anything about it?  This is not spam, I am not recommending this product.  I just wonder if it would help me improve the quality of my espresso and coffee.

http://vstapps.com/store/coffee-espresso-refractometer/

Thanks,

Tim
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonCoffee
JasonCoffee
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2010, 6:23pm
Subject: Re: coffee refractometer

I have been asked about this by a few of my readers also. I am going to see if I can't get my hands on one of these. If I do I will be happy to share my thoughts with you.

NEW Coffee Forum: http://coffeecupnews.org/forum
Coffee Reviews: http://coffeecupnews.org
Chang94598

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2010, 8:30pm

My personal opinion is that the refractometer would work more advantageously in brewed coffee than espresso. In brewed coffee, there is less solid particle, compared with espresso, to reflect light.  For example, the amount of solid particles in espresso will conceivably be altered by the hole shape of the espresso filter.

On the other hand, due to the small amount of liquid required for refractometer, it is easier to use than conductive TDS meter. But also be mindful, espresso also composes crema, which cannot be measured by refractometer.

I use however a conductive TDS meter for brewed coffee. It is easily available from retailers at fraction of the cost of refractometer. I just calculate the result on my Palm device (yes, I still use the Palm for its simplicity).  It is helpful to read over the SCAA Coffee Brewing Handbook and its concepts, as most of the studies were done many years ago and some of the units are archaic. My discussion on the TDS meter is on HB, if one just wants to use the formula without reading through the book and save some money:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Although there are many conductive meters on the market, make sure to use one which can measure NaCl-unit to at least 2000 ppm.
lost

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Fri Sep 24, 2010, 4:26pm

Isn't that George Howell's invention ?
He does have an impeccable reputation ?

My question is, would a normal refractometer work ?
andys
andys

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Fri Sep 24, 2010, 5:47pm

Chang94598 Said:

My personal opinion is that the refractometer would work more advantageously in brewed coffee than espresso. In brewed coffee, there is less solid particle, compared with espresso, to reflect light.  For example, the amount of solid particles in espresso will conceivably be altered by the hole shape of the espresso filter.

Posted September 20, 2010 link

This is incorrect. Refractometers can be used to accurately measure TDS in espresso if the espresso is filtered before taking the measurement.

Chang94598 Said:

also be mindful, espresso also composes crema, which cannot be measured by refractometer.

(1) After a short time, crema collapses into the main beverage, so it's not a problem.
(2) The mass of the crema is so small compared to the mass of beverage liquid that measuring it is unimportant.
(3) Are you saying that your meter accurately measures crema TDS?

Chang94598 Said:

I use however a conductive TDS meter for brewed coffee. It is easily available from retailers at fraction of the cost of refractometer.

The VST refractometer is warranted to be accurate to +/- 0.12% TDS. If you want to get a laugh sometime, call up the manufacturer of your conductivity meter and ask them to guarantee its accuracy when measuring coffee TDS. Perhaps then it won't seem like such a bargain.  :-)

Chang94598 Said:

Although there are many conductive meters on the market, make sure to use one which can measure NaCl-unit to at least 2000 ppm.

Coffee labs used to struggle with conductivity meters. Since the VST refractometers came on the market, no serious coffee lab continues to rely on conductive meters.

They are inexpensive, however!  :-)

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
andys
andys

Posted Fri Sep 24, 2010, 5:58pm

lost Said:

Isn't that George Howell's invention ?
He does have an impeccable reputation ?

My question is, would a normal refractometer work ?

Posted September 24, 2010 link

[edited 9-25-10]

The coffee/espresso refractometers and accompanying software were invented and developed by Vince Fedele of VST while VST was a consultant to the George Howell Coffee Company. When Vince left, he retained and or acquired remaining rights to the ExtractMoJo and the Coffee and Espresso refractometers. VST and GHCC made a joint announcement about this last March. So the software and instruments are VST products, not GHCC products.

Last time I checked, George's reputation was still impeccable.  :)

A "normal" refractometer measures "nD", otherwise known as refractive index. nD must be converted into coffee TDS to be useful. The VST refractometers have this conversion built in.

-AndyS
Chang94598

Posted Fri Sep 24, 2010, 8:49pm

andys Said:

This is incorrect. Refractometers can be used to accurately measure TDS in espresso if the espresso is filtered before taking the measurement.

(1) After a short time, crema collapses into the main beverage, so it's not a problem.
(2) The mass of the crema is so small compared to the mass of beverage liquid that measuring it is unimportant.
(3) Are you saying that your meter accurately measures crema TDS?

The VST refractometer is warranted to be accurate to +/- 0.12% TDS. If you want to get a laugh sometime, call up the manufacturer of your conductivity meter and ask them to guarantee its accuracy when measuring coffee TDS. Perhaps then it won't seem like such a bargain.  :-)

Coffee labs used to struggle with conductivity meters. Since the VST refractometers came on the market, no serious coffee lab continues to rely on conductive meters.

They are inexpensive, however!  :-)

I don't understand espresso enough at the academic level, but I generally don't drink "filtered" espresso. This was my original question about the refractometer. The polyphasic and colloidal feature of espresso "could" make refractometer difficult to apply for espresso. If this device solves this problem, maybe it is well worth the cost.  I always wonder how the other material in espresso contribute to the final refractive index. For example, if only the liquid aliquot is withdrawn, before the crema is settled, will the measurement be different? From my understanding, the formation of the gaseous phase is directly related to the galactomannan and arabinogalactan, which vary from degree of roast and bean variety. The solid cellulose in the espresso brew will also reflect light differently; potentially a planar vs conical grinder will produce different shape particles. The typical espresso brew also contains about 5% of lipid by weight. How much of this lipid is filtered out? What kind of paper? How thick of the filter? How do these factors contribute to the refractive reading, in a typically consumed, unfiltered espresso drink? At least when I was in school, the content in the cuvette cannot contain bubbles, finger prints, solids, etc., and if the measured aliqot is filtered, I am concerned the reading will not reflect the true TDS of espresso.

Where did I say the conductive meter is more or less accurate? Or it measures crema?  My olfactory and taste nerves probably cannot detect a 0.12% difference currently.  The variability in the 5% of lipid that was filtered out alone will contribute more to the margin of error, IMHO.

On a more serious note, what are the problems/struggles encountered by coffee labs with conductive meter? I am a home user who brews mostly one cup at a time.  My municipal water TDS also varies season to season, and this will also contribute my cup TDS.  Knowing the difficulty encountered would be helpful for me to  understand the brewing process better.

:)
MikeWhite
MikeWhite
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Sep 26, 2010, 9:13am

For what it's worth, I'm a huge fan of the refractometer and MoJo software. I think it's the single most useful tool anyone can have when concerned about consistency and quality. I've written a few posts about my experiences with it here if you're interested.

Mike White
NYC
andys
andys

Posted Sun Sep 26, 2010, 11:08am

Chang94598 Said:

I generally don't drink "filtered" espresso.

Nobody said you're supposed to drink filtered espresso. But in using a refractometer, one reserves a few ml of the espresso extraction and filters it in order to get an accurate TDS reading.

Chang94598 Said:

The polyphasic and colloidal feature of espresso "could" make refractometer difficult to apply for espresso....I always wonder how the other material in espresso contribute to the final refractive index. For example, if only the liquid aliquot is withdrawn, before the crema is settled, will the measurement be different? From my understanding, the formation of the gaseous phase is directly related to the galactomannan and arabinogalactan, which vary from degree of roast and bean variety.

Henry, the basic flavor balance (sour, grassy, sweet, bitter) is related to dissolved solids. Undissolved solids contribute mouthfeel, but little flavor (unless the amount of undissolved solids gets waaay too high). Your concerns about how much crema has collapsed or about the exact quantity of galactomannan may be interesting academically, but have little bearing on flavor balance.

Chang94598 Said:

The solid cellulose in the espresso brew will also reflect light differently...if the measured aliqot is filtered, I am concerned the reading will not reflect the true TDS of espresso

What you're saying makes absolutely no sense. TDS means Total Dissolved Solids. Filtering out undissolved cellulose has zero effect on dissolved solids.

Chang94598 Said:

The typical espresso brew also contains about 5% of lipid by weight.

You're not even close. According to Illy, a typical Italian espresso contains 0.25% lipids.

Chang94598 Said:

My municipal water TDS also varies season to season, and this will also contribute my cup TDS.

Wrong again. The TDS of a brewed coffee averages 13,000 ppm; espresso can be 50,000 ppm - 150,000 ppm. Variations in municipal water TDS of 100-200 ppm are completely swamped by the coffee TDS.

-AndyS
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Sep 26, 2010, 1:28pm

Decisive rebuttal, well done...

EricBNC: Note.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
showing page 1 of 17 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.401922941208)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+