Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
BeanSafe Coffee Canister
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > BeanSafe Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
BlackPoodle
BlackPoodle
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 7:19am
Subject: Re: BeanSafe Coffee Canister

jpender Said:

According to Illy, degassing proceeds over a period of weeks or even months. Even a small amount of gas could carry a strong scent.

But does the container seal when the internal pressure is less than or equal to the external pressure? One way you might try to test this is to place a small cup of warm water inside the container, close it, allow it to cool, and then see if you can hear an inrush of air when you open it (or disturb it).

As an aside, silicone airlocks are also marketed to home beer brewers and winemakers. A do-it-yourself approach is to buy one of those (they cost less than $5) and then use silicone adhesive to attach it to the jar of your choice.

Posted November 30, 2012 link

That is a novel idea.. I had never considered that. (Not surprising since I don't brew my own beer)

I'll to try that out. But for now, my storage solution seems to work.

To me it sounds like this product "sort of" works. But I mean, if the ball moves around when it's disturbed then it stands to reason that if for some reason you have moved it and it's not 100% level, it could be detrimental to the beans you are storing because it would constantly be open? Just saying....

For example, You put it on a counter top, but for some reason your counter isn't level... (I have seen some whacked out counters before...)
 View Profile Link to this post
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 2:30pm

Hey guys,

I was looking for proper storage containers for bean and ground, saw someone on HulaDaddy mention Airscape canisters. Googled that then saw demo on SCG. Take a look...  come in 32 & 64 ounce and have a valve that seems better than the BBB thing. Also several color choices. Their web site is PlanetaryDesign.us or can also purchase at ContainerStore.com

Becky
jliedeka
jliedeka
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 11:49am

I think worrying about containers is fixing the wrong problem.  If the goal is to have the freshest possible coffee, don't roast or buy more than you can use in a week or so.  I pretty much just roast my own but when I last bought beans, it was 1/2 pound at a time.  My roasted beans just go into a Mason type jar.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
tonycswu
tonycswu

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 7:16pm

Hi, My name is Cheng S. Wu. This One Way Valve was I developed it. Thanks for be interested of this product.

Yes, The valve is working as you said. And we also sent this product to Intertek for testing. And the result is perfect. Which means it allows the air out and prevent the fresh air enters the container. (For testing report you can find it on my web site of www.coffee-buddy.com , The web site will start on next few days.)

I have been work on this valve for 4 years. We use the simple concept. It's simple but it works great.   (It says simple, But it took me a long time. Because it still have a lot of issues need to figure out, How is the curve line inside. How big and what is the weight of the ball, How to production... A ton of problem need to solve. So it took me 4 years.)

The valve no need to replace. Because I use the best material for every things. The container, I used Polypropylene, Stainless Steel 304 and Ceramic. The valve, I used silicone which is the best safety material. And the inside ball, I use glass ball. All the material can be use forever. So the valve stated "No need to  replace."
tonycswu
tonycswu

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 7:45pm

I also roasted my own coffee, That is why I developed this container.

Below is my personal opinion. I like fresh coffee. I roasted my own coffee every week. (half Pound) Long time ago, I roasted coffee, I found the first day is not good, Even I can say it terrible, It had a very storng grassy smile. But the second day comes good. And the following days comes better and better. So I always put my coffee in my container for one day after then drink it.

Also I know roaster always put their roasted bean one day then packed. They call it de-gas. This is the same concept as my idea, The coffee bean need breath. The coffee bean need to oxided to release favour.

My suggestion, All the coffee lover, Take a try, Go to your local roaster and buy half pound or one pound coffee. Then put it into a soft bag or container with one way valve. Then taste every day. You will be exciting that coffee bring you so much fun.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 11:02pm

Evan, interestingly, years ago I tried out those "pump the oxygen" out containers which pretty create a vacuum.
I found my coffee actually aged FASTER...oil appeared on beans 3 days post roast that never made it to 2nd crack in the first place.
I believe others corroborated. It's as if the vacuum "drew out" the oil. Weird to say, I realize.
This is not to say this particular device you're messing with might not work perfectly, but I can purchase 100 1# 1 way valved bags for $20.
I also do Mason jars for freezing.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
igotyofire

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 1:00am

I use these containers, Ive been planning to do my own test as well, but have been super busy over the holidays. I however am new to coffee & don't know much about the science, i figured I could leave an open bag of chips inside?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 6:58am

I have used lots of things to store coffee but for me, a zip lock freezer bag, remove as much air as possible without being mental about it, seal then store in the bottom of the freezer keeps coffee fresh for me over the course of a month that it takes me to go through 5 pounds.

I have used seal a meal vac sealing bags and  machine, canning jars etc and for me, this is the least expensive and easiest and works as well or better than anything else. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bs259

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 6:36pm

tonycswu Said:

Hi, My name is Cheng S. Wu. This One Way Valve was I developed it. Thanks for be interested of this product.

Yes, The valve is working as you said. And we also sent this product to Intertek for testing. And the result is perfect. Which means it allows the air out and prevent the fresh air enters the container. (For testing report you can find it on my web site of www.coffee-buddy.com , The web site will start on next few days.)

I have been work on this valve for 4 years. We use the simple concept. It's simple but it works great.   (It says simple, But it took me a long time. Because it still have a lot of issues need to figure out, How is the curve line inside. How big and what is the weight of the ball, How to production... A ton of problem need to solve. So it took me 4 years.)

The valve no need to replace. Because I use the best material for every things. The container, I used Polypropylene, Stainless Steel 304 and Ceramic. The valve, I used silicone which is the best safety material. And the inside ball, I use glass ball. All the material can be use forever. So the valve stated "No need to  replace."

Posted December 8, 2012 link

Can you tell me what the difference is between BeanSafe and Coffee-Buddy? They look identical. Is it the same company marketed under two different names?
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > BeanSafe Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.274667024612)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+