Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Here's another reason to drink coffee!
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Here's another...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
marlap
marlap
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista Athena
Grinder: Braun KM 30 (modded)
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 5:29am
Subject: Here's another reason to drink coffee!

Here's another reason to drink coffee!
Roger Greenway, ENN
Published October 9, 2012 03:37 PM

As dedicated coffee drinker, I don't really need more reasons to drink more of the heavenly drink! There are some negatives for some, like difficulty getting to sleep after drinking regular coffee, but more studies seem to show benefits from coffee, both from regular, and also from decaffe. A recent study by the University of Illinois now shows that caffeine may block inflammation linked to mild cognitive impairment

"We have discovered a novel signal that activates the brain-based inflammation associated with neurodegenerative diseases, and caffeine appears to block its activity. This discovery may eventually lead to drugs that could reverse or inhibit mild cognitive impairment," said Gregory Freund, a professor in the U of I's College of Medicine and a member of the U of I's Division of Nutritional Sciences.

Freund's team examined the effects of caffeine on memory formation in two groups of mice—one group given caffeine, the other receiving none. The two groups were then exposed to hypoxia, simulating what happens in the brain during an interruption of breathing or blood flow, and then allowed to recover.

The caffeine-treated mice recovered their ability to form a new memory 33 percent faster than the non-caffeine-treated mice. In fact, caffeine had the same anti-inflammatory effect as blocking IL-1 signaling. IL-1 is a critical player in the inflammation associated with many neurodegenerative diseases, he said.

"It's not surprising that the insult to the brain that the mice experienced would cause learning memory to be impaired. But how does that occur?" he wondered.

The scientists noted that the hypoxic episode triggered the release of adenosine by brain cells.

"Your cells are little powerhouses, and they run on a fuel called ATP that's made up of molecules of adenosine. When there's damage to a cell, adenosine is released," he said.

Just as gasoline leaking out of a tank poses a danger to everything around it, adenosine leaking out of a cell poses a danger to its environment, he noted.

source:
http://www.enn.com/lifestyle/article/45060
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 2:32am
Subject: Re: Here's another reason to drink coffee!

Based on up-to-date scientific data the Deutsches Grünes Kreuz advised in 2009: "Drinking two, three, four or even more cups of coffe a day has positive effects on numerous internal organs and body functions. There even seems to be a protective or preventative effect in some diseases. In in most cases, there is no reason to stop drinking coffee for medical considerations. However, in individual cases it's advisable to consult your doctor, especially during pregnancy."

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
BlackPoodle
BlackPoodle

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:35am

What the article fails to mention (even though it's a really good article) is that coffee is also good to help keep you regular. It acts as a natural stool softener and is better to take than most medication out there and is much easier not only on your digestive system, but also your body in general.

Couple in the above benefits from the article and you have a real winner :)
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:34am

Here's many more benefits that I posted on Thu May 28, 2009: "Re: Coffeegeek curious about coffee"

Once there click the link "Drinking coffee is good for you.Therefore drinking GOOD coffee is VERY GOOD for you."

There's 37 reasons why,
Cheers! {;-)

Link addded here: http://www.bluehorsekona.com/healthykonacoffee.html

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BlackPoodle
BlackPoodle

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:20am

CraigA Said:

Here's many more benefits that I posted on Thu May 28, 2009: "Re: Coffeegeek curious about coffee"

Once there click the link "Drinking coffee is good for you.Therefore drinking GOOD coffee is VERY GOOD for you."

There's 37 reasons why,
Cheers! {;-)

Link addded here: http://www.bluehorsekona.com/healthykonacoffee.html

Posted November 28, 2012 link

Wowsers... That is a lot of benefits!

Yes, GOOD coffee is not only good for you, it is good for the soul. However, when someone gets on my case about my third cup of the day, I can just refer them to those 37 reasons ;)

Thanks for sharing :)
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:31am

BlackPoodle Said:

Wowsers... That is a lot of benefits!

Yes, GOOD coffee is not only good for you, it is good for the soul. However, when someone gets on my case about my third cup of the day, I can just refer them to those 37 reasons ;)

Thanks for sharing :)

Posted November 30, 2012 link

lol, anytime Ella!

CraigA: twothumbsup.jpg

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
EspressoObsessed

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: CMH; VL M3
Drip: TV, KMB, Eva Solo, AP
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:09am

And then there is The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like
BlackPoodle
BlackPoodle

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 11:16am

EspressoObsessed Said:

And then there is The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like

Posted December 1, 2012 link

What a weird article...

"Coffee contains Known Carcinogens...."

Then like a paragraph down:

"Coffee fights cancer..."

So which is it? You can't have it both ways? Interesting article, but not sure what point it was actually trying to drive at.
N_West

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Quickmill Alexia
Drip: Technivorm Mochamaster
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 4:32pm

God bless those little coffee drinking mice in IL! LOL

A wonderfully brilliant DR that I know had a forum discussion on the new studies that have been done and he has changed his position and now encourages patients to drink coffee.  

Here is a link to listen to the discussion - you have to sign up but it is worth it.  He has other good health info there too!

Click Here (www.wholepsychiatry.com)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Here's another...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.314210891724)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+