Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
A new show from Travel Channel.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > A new show from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 7:01am
Subject: Re: A new show from Travel Channel.

I thought he did a good job explaining how coffee grows.  The non-coffeegeek coffee consumers have no clues where or how the coffee is cultivated. They have to make the show interesting, otherwise who would watch it?
 View Profile Link to this post
parity
parity
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, La Pavoni...
Roaster: CO/SC
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 11:12am

This show was ridiculous as most reality shows have nothing to do with reality. First he starts out in the market buying 2 pounds of crappy coffee because he doesn't want to offend the locals. Gets a tip on where to go but then rejects it later on? The whole conclusion of the show is a bit laughable too. He stumbles on to a farm that happens to have 19 bags of coffee laying outside, stacked and ready to go for him? I would think you would do your research a head of time and figure out whom to buy from instead of pretending to stumble and bumble your way around the mountains of Haiti. Hoping to find some good quality coffee. Just because its grown at the highest elevation doesn't necessary equate quality. So in my opinion the whole thing is just fake and they are trying to make entertaining TV, like WWF wrestling.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mthedude

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: La Spaziale Junior
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew
Roaster: n/a
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 7:55am

Well, the show got me to try 3 of their beans...I ordered some of the Haiti Mare Blanche single origin espresso, a bag of Nizza and a bag of Lyon. I emailed them prior to ask about roasted on date, and I didn't get a direct answer but was assured that they roast daily and my order was shipped the same day, so I'll see if there's a roasted on date when I receive them.

I think the show is a bit puffed up for the show's own good, obviously if he traveled to Rwanda and was setup in a nice hotel and had guides the entire time nobody would find it interesting and they wouldn't watch.

Hopefully the coffee is good, I'll find out next week.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 1:49pm

This show is totally contrived and has almost nothing to do with the way that real roasters go about sourcing beans.

The premise is that some clueless yokel flies into a foreign country with absolutely no advance preparation and then stumbles around until he finds some wild coffee beans for sale by some peasant farmer who has no idea why anyone would drink coffee. The adventurer then makes a big score, saves the farmer from oppression, ends global warming, stops the drug trade, makes the world safe for democracy and celebrates his coolness.

In the first episode, he goes to Haiti and makes a big deal out of buying direct from the grower instead of buying from the evil dealer who he claims has a stranglehold on the growers. So he rents a falling-down truck and heads up into the mountains on a random search for some beans. Along the way, he loses second gear, then breaks a shock, and finally comes to a standstill after his driveshaft breaks, right in the middle of the territory of the dreaded dealer that he's trying to bypass. So what does he do? Calls a non-evil dealer he knows for a new truck, the kind he would have rented in the first place if he was a serious buyer and not a TV creature.

In the second episode, he drives up the notorious "Road of Death" in Bolivia and takes a zip line from one mountain top to another instead of simply taking the new road that's perfectly safe and going direct to the mountain where the coffee is grown. This time it's all about saving Bolivia from the scourge of coca. He makes inane observations about the so-called devastating effects of coca cultivation on the soil that aren't remotely true and then claims all the coca fields are guarded by gun-toting thugs. Thing is, coca cultivation is perfectly legal in Bolivia, and it's freely sold in the markets. People chew it and drink it as a tea to help deal with the effects of the altitude. It's actually less soil-depleting than coffee, as far as that goes, and the fields are not valuable enough to be guarded.

According the Sweet Maria's, Bolivia has a reasonably efficient system of coffee cultivation and processing, largely thanks to the efforts of USAID to build the industry. For the farmer, it's probably more profitable to grow coffee than coca, although it's more labor intensive. In any event, Carmichael didn't "discover" Bolivian coffee, it's long been a big fav in Holland and Germany, again according to Sweet Maria's, folks who know a thing or two about sourcing coffee.

The show is a real train wreak, more or less the "Jersey Shore" of coffee, with the star playing "The Situation." It's oddly entertaining, but don't take a thing the guy says as true. He's the king of all coffee poseurs, to such an extreme that he tries to talk French to Bolivians who barely speak Spanish since they use the indigenous languages.

If you like bad reality shows, you'll find it entertaining, but watching this show will cost you valuable IQ points.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
N_West

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Quickmill Alexia
Drip: Technivorm Mochamaster
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 5:28pm

I'm new to the forum and learning so much with all these great posts....thanks for sharing!
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 5:16pm

mthedude Said:

Well, the show got me to try 3 of their beans...I ordered some of the Haiti Mare Blanche single origin espresso, a bag of Nizza and a bag of Lyon. I emailed them prior to ask about roasted on date, and I didn't get a direct answer but was assured that they roast daily and my order was shipped the same day, so I'll see if there's a roasted on date when I receive them.

I think the show is a bit puffed up for the show's own good, obviously if he traveled to Rwanda and was setup in a nice hotel and had guides the entire time nobody would find it interesting and they wouldn't watch.

Posted November 16, 2012 link

Where can one buy the Blue Mountain Papu New Guinea coffee?
AnotherRob

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: CCD, Behmor BraZen
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 6:21pm

mthedude Said:

Posted November 16, 2012 link

Was the coffee good?
AnotherRob

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: CCD, Behmor BraZen
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 6:24pm

cuznvin Said:

Where can one buy the Blue Mountain Papu New Guinea coffee?

Posted December 30, 2012 link

Is this it? http://shop.lacolombe.com/products/papua-new-guinea
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 6:25pm

Thanks
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:24pm

I watched one show and thought it was entertaining. I have a hard time believing the guy is a coffee expert though.When
anyone seems that ego centric I just have a tendency to be skeptical.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > A new show from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30969786644)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+