Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Favorite mug for when you are not at home?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Favorite mug for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
ridgeroadroaster
ridgeroadroaster
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 11:18am
Subject: Favorite mug for when you are not at home?

Hello, new to coffeegeek. Just taking an informal pole. What is your favorite travel mug? Why? Photo?
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 11:26am
Subject: Re: Favorite mug for when you are not at home?

I'm a big fan of this Stanley leakproof (the first actually leakproof travel mug I've found) that I got a while back on Woot! It's gone flying on multiple occasions and never spilled a drop. Not the greatest insulation ever, but keeps it hot enough to get through the last of the morning pot without too much trouble.

GVDub: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 11:50am

anyone with a hole in the top

OK so seriously I like the double walled ceramic jobs with a stopper in the bottom for hot water. If i am drinking from a roady it's like a long black and i am sipping it so that baby needs to stay hot.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
TrabucoDom

Espresso: CXE-25 , moka pots
Grinder: Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: aeropress / french presses
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 12:45pm

jwoodyu Said:

anyone with a hole in the top

OK so seriously I like the double walled ceramic jobs with a stopper in the bottom for hot water. If i am drinking from a roady it's like a long black and i am sipping it so that baby needs to stay hot.

Posted October 10, 2012 link

Where can I get one of those? Do you have a link with a picture, by any chance? Thanks.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 1:08pm

I got several at Disney World on vacation last year. I have seen them all over in the past few months coffee shops, gift shops even some big box stores. There several that look similar the difference being plastic or ceramic. If you pick up a ceramic one flip it over and see if there is a stopper in the bottom those are the ones you want. I pull water off the steam boiler side of my machine to fill it up from the bottom. You will want a sleeve for sure. I have pretty tough hands and it burns my "little patties" if try it without one.

This is the shape but i don't know this one is double walled with a stopper. Some are just double walled to insulate your hand and the drink.

Click Here (www.google.com)

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
TrabucoDom

Espresso: CXE-25 , moka pots
Grinder: Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: aeropress / french presses
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 2:06pm

Thanks...I have seen ones similar to that but never picked one up to check it out....is it designed to be water-filled, i.e., does it seal good and not  leak or drip water?

I have been using the insulated stainless steel cup but don't really like to drink out of metal, so I guess I don't have a favorite ....and I don't really like the plastic lined ones either....I'd really prefer a mug handle..I wonder if they make double walled ceramic with a handle.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 6:12pm

I agree with the anything with a hole in it mostly.

I am often more into the image than anything else and have really enjoyed laughing at some of the ones I have found on cafe press or other similar sites.

That being said, I have a bodum travel press that says "Give up bad coffee for good" that i love to use, even if I'm not pressing, because I love the pun.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 6:43pm

TrabucoDom Said:

Thanks...I have seen ones similar to that but never picked one up to check it out....is it designed to be water-filled, i.e., does it seal good and not  leak or drip water?

I have been using the insulated stainless steel cup but don't really like to drink out of metal, so I guess I don't have a favorite ....and I don't really like the plastic lined ones either....I'd really prefer a mug handle..I wonder if they make double walled ceramic with a handle.

Posted October 10, 2012 link

Ours all seal up great. I have to think there are 2 - 3 companies that make them all so odds are good one is as good as another or close. We were at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago this past weekend and they Life Way book store had several for $5 on sale but they were all pretty ugly so i took a pass. If there is a draw back its that they are not huge. I am not particularly troubled by it because i normally drink from a 2.25 OZ :0). If you get the one with a stopper it you can use it either way but nearly always use mine with filled with water.

emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 8:57am

My travel "mug" of choice is the Avantro travel tumbler.  It's powder-coated stainless steel double wall insulated.  It keeps hot liquids hot for about 2 hours.  If you can ever find their website, they actually show lab testing results of liquid temperatures over time, starting at different initial temps.  They come with a screw on plastic docking base, that prevents accidental spills.  The lid has a removable ribber seal that allows for easy cleaning and stops leaks effectively.  The top has a sliding closure that seems (to me at least) to have just the right amount of tension, even years into ownership.  The bottom is slightly tapered, so that it fits into almost every car cup holder I've ever used without rocking back and forth.  It seems to me like they thought of everything.  I even clean the inside weekly with Cafitza (although I'm careful not to get it on the powder coating).

They cost about $30 (if I remember correctly), but to me, they are worth every penny.  The only time I've ever needed to replace one, was due to losing it, not because of failure.  OK, my wife lost like 3 of these (so now I only give her paper to go cups).

Aesthetically, the powder-coatings are great looking!

This is not an ad, although I know I sound like I have some interest in their company.  I just love their tumblers that much!  

I've use their travel mug as well, but don't like it because the handle is too big and gets in the way in some cup holders.  I've also broken off the tab that opens the hole on the cap on the mug.  Aesthetically, the taper on the travel mug is too drastic, unlike the tumbler.  Plus the mug hold a smaller volume.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
deleted

Expertise:

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 4:50pm

Hi there. Glad to know there's another Avantro "lover" out there. I got the white leakproof Avantro and I would bring it to the office everyday. In fact, I bought one for my mom last month and she loves it. I simply couldn't leave without coffee either at home or at the office.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Favorite mug for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.274852991104)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+