Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Good espresso machine supplier recommendation?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Good espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
bkpr
bkpr
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 3:54pm
Subject: Good espresso machine supplier recommendation?

Hey all.

Just moved to the US for 2–3 years and am looking to spend some cash on new equipment (Breville Dual Boiler + Baratza grinder).
I'd prefer to give my money to an independent online store rather than Amazon. Any recommendations?

I'm in Houston TX if there happens to be a good store close to me.

Thanks in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 6:34am
Subject: Re: Good espresso machine supplier recommendation?

I don't know of local to you stores but any of the vendors who are advertising on this site are great and i would buy from in a second.

Welcome to the board!

I would think many times before looking at a BDB as they are famous for disposable counter top appliances, not quality products. They have made several design decisions that to me are very questionable such as not being able to do preventive maint on the machine yourself, high quantity of proprietory parts etc.

There are several people that have them here and like them. For MY money, I would wait and see what kind of quality and issues the machine has before spending more money on that machine than other, well proven machines that do not have all the GEE WIZZ features. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 7:51am

Chris's Coffee

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
bkpr
bkpr

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 8:23am

Thanks for your quick replies!
I'm so oblivious to ads on websites these days that I didn't even think to check them out :S

calblacksmith Said:

I would think many times before looking at a BDB as they are famous for disposable counter top appliances, not quality products. They have made several design decisions that to me are very questionable such as not being able to do preventive maint on the machine yourself, high quantity of proprietory parts etc.

Posted September 28, 2012 link

I know I'll only be in the US for 2–3 years, so long-term maintenance isn't an issue as I won't be able to take it back to Australia due to the voltage difference.
My previous machine in Australia was the Sunbeam E6910 which I quite liked. To be honest I never drank coffee until 2.5 years ago when my wife and I bought the machine with wedding gift money. I just really enjoyed the process of making a good coffee for my wife until eventually, not being able to make *only* one per day, I started making coffee for me also. And here I am!  (as a side note, my friends and I got machines at the same time, so had a challenge to see who could make the first decent rosetta: clicky which was a lot of fun :)

Back on topic: I need something reasonable for a few years, and now I'm used to a double boiler (I'm impatient), I'm looking at the Breville. I'll sell the machine and grinder when I leave the US, and will look for something of better quality and maintainable when I'm permanently back in Oz.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 9:35am

I wish you well, REALLY, that was not sarcastic!

I am not sure what you mean when you say you are impatient as the BDB will take about the same amount of time as most any other machine to warm up, about half an hour to an hour. Any machine on a timer is able to be warm for you when need and the speed of production is the same with DB or HX when you are referenced to a SBDU, yes it will be quicker!

You might want to join the board http://coffeesnobs.com.au/ they are based down under and you might feel a little closer to home. DO stay here too, we want you to join in!

Here is to having your stay with us be a good one!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 9:52am

Hi Bart,

You could get a 220V machine. I checked & Australia's voltage is 230V +/- 10% @ 50 khz versus USA's 220v @ 60khz & it shouldn't be a problem?

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
bkpr
bkpr

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 11:40am

calblacksmith Said:

I wish you well, REALLY, that was not sarcastic!

Hey, no problem. I didn't take anything as sarcastic! I probably should have put a :) after "thanks for the warm welcome". I actually meant that!

What I meant by impatient was I could steam milk while the shot was being poured. My friends who participated in the latte-art off (link in my previous post) had a smaller machine, and they could steam only after their shot had poured. In the literature for my Sunbeam machine, it touted the benefits of double boiler (or thermoblock, now that I think of it) was I could pull and steam at once. Hence the reason for the Breville. Also because it seems like a more advanced version of what I had previously.

I'm not sure what HX means, but I sense it might be one of those rabbit holes I tend to fall down when I get stuck into the nitty-gritty of things. I love that people are as passionate about coffee as other people are about their cars!

In terms of voltages, I emailed Breville about it. Here's the response:

There are two different versions of the product, they are not interchangeable nor would it be recommend to use an adapter on a machine of this sophistication. If you are moving permanently to Aus I would wait and buy it there.

Plus warranty is only valid within the country of origin and on a purchase like this you want that coverage inside and outside of the 1 year.

All of our machines are built under safety specifications with American 120V outlets. We do not recommend use of our machines overseas as it may not be safe, and if you are so inclined to use our machine overseas, you may want to contact a local electrician for assistance with a possible converter, adapter, or special accommodation to allow for a 220V connection. Small electrical appliances have to be manufactured specifically for the country of destination in order to comply with local product certification requirements and other import regulations.

I'm not fussed with selling after my US stint is over; it'll be one more thing to add to the many things we'll pass on after we leave. I have done this a few times times before and while I dislike buying things for the sake of buying them — preferring to buy quality once and use it for a long time — I think the opportunity of living temporarily in other countries outweighs this. Also, the people who we offload stuff to for cheap or free probably don't mind either ;)
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 11:51am

You could also buy a 110-230V transformer for use in either direction - I'm running my UK spec Gaggia Classic on one here, and it can also do 230->110V.  It'll cost about $90 or so for a 1500W one.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 8:52pm

bkpr Said:

I'm not sure what HX means . . .

Take a look at this post on Machine Types.

Now, in terms of what kind of machine to get, there are the usual Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

And in terms of where to buy, I think you'll find that many people here have purchased equipment, and been happy with the service both before and after the sale, from (in alphabetical order):

-- Chris' Coffee Service
-- 1st-Line Equipment
-- Great Infusions
-- Orphan Espresso
-- Seattle CoffeeGear
-- Stefano's Espresso Care

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
bkpr
bkpr

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 12:04pm

Hey Jason. Thanks for all the info!

The reason I'm pretty set on the Breville (at this stage) is it looks to be a very similar machine to what I had in Oz: Sunbeam 6910. It had a "Twin pump and twin thermoblock - TPTT™ System" which allowed me to steam and pull a coffee at the same time. I don't know if this is an actual double boiler or HX machine. The Breville seems to be a step up form the Sunbeam, at least in terms of features, so I feel it'll be a quick learning process to make a decent coffee.

To answer the standard questions:

1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make? 99.9% milky ones: lattes or cappuccinos + the occasional long/short black for friends, or a shot for an affogato :)
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? 1–4, but mostly 1 or 2.
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week? ~20
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir? Needs it own reservoir
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit? I'm guessing it's the standard circuit in the house we'll be renting
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder? We don't really have a budget, but I'd say the $1200 (for the Breville) is at the top of our budget for a coffee machine given we'll be in the US for 2–3 years. I'll get another Baratza grinder (separate cost) because I liked the previous one I had.

I guess I'm a typical domestic user, with average needs, which is why I'm leaning towards the Breville. My wife reckons I make better coffee than what we've found so far in Houston :)  so while I'm happy to check out any other suggestions, the familiarity of the machine appeals to me greatly right now.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Good espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300348997116)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+