Coffee: General Discussion
3-Leaf Coffee Questions
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > 3-Leaf Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TNAndy

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 6:16am
Subject: 3-Leaf Coffee Questions

I bought 100 Kona coffee tree seedlings from a seed vendor in Hawaii last year.  (I'd like to recommend him, but I just joined this forum and don't want to get my hand slapped.)

Normal coffee trees grow 'opposite' leaves--two leaves at each node on opposite sides of the stem.  97% of my plants look this way.  However, I've got three plants that consistently grow three leaves in a 'whorl'.  Instead of two leaves 180 degrees apart, these plants have three leaves 120 degrees apart at each node.  Just as there are three leaves at each node, there are three branches at all of the nodes that have grown branches.  The branches all grow in the normal, opposite two-leaf pattern.

Normal coffee trees are decussate--each pair of leaves is offset 90 degrees from the leaves below them.  (Side branches grow this way, too, but the stems twist between the leaf nodes so each pair of leaves ends up level.)  My 3-Leaf plants are also decussate, but the angle between successive leaf nodes is 60 degrees, not 90.  With three branches at each node instead of the usual two, I'm getting 50% more branches off the trunk.  If it flowers, I might get 50% more beans.

I'm not the first person to notice this phenomenon: http://3leafcoffee.com/

I contacted my seed vendor about this.  He says farmers normally cull abnormal plants rather than waste time or fertilizer on them.  I asked a couple of professors at the University of Hawaii about these plants.  They were unfamiliar with the phenomenon.

Has anyone else seen this growth pattern in coffee saplings?  Are these odd plants fertile?  Will they make beans?  What causes this?  Could these plants be triploid?
 View Profile Link to this post
MikeReilly

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 8:41am
Subject: Re: 3-Leaf Coffee Questions

I'd grow em and find out =).  By the way, where'd you plant them?  I have property outside Mountain View on the Hilo side and just planted a flat of em there.
TNAndy

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 8:31am
Subject: Re: 3-Leaf Coffee Questions

You planted a whole flat of THREE-LEAF coffee plants?!?  You must have sorted through hundreds of sprouts to find that many.  Only 3 out of the 100 seedlings I bought were 3-leaf mutants.

I live in Tennessee.  All of my tropical plants are in containers mounted on casters.  I roll them outside in the Spring to enjoy the warm summer.  I roll them into my sunroom in the fall to huddle together against the winter cold.  I exclusively use regular Miracle-Gro potting mix (but do not recommend the moisture control version).  Once the built-in fertilizer runs out, I try to use organic fertilizers from then on.  I hope this helps.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > 3-Leaf Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.178687095642)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+