Coffee: General Discussion
Victor coffee mugs--Yes!
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Victor coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 4:26am
Subject: Re: Victor coffee mugs--Yes!

CSG Said:

So now I have 10.

Posted August 15, 2012 link

Lol!

I found some in the 7.5 oz size (they made both 6 and 7.5 oz mugs).  And all I needed was one...

I just bought another 6 white ones yesterday as the sale was local to me & I can pick them up. Now I'll have 12!

I now wish I had a few of these larger 7.5 oz ones haha! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CSG

Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 8:30am

The 7.5's *seem* to have slightly thinner walls but I'm going to have to get my calipers out to check.  

I know someone who was selling the remaining stock of Victors talked about counterfeits on his site but the only reference to Chinese mugs that I ever found from an official source was a trade magazine article published in 2004 (?) that said Victor decided to cease production because of competition from the Chinese (Ultima, IIRC) and said nothing about their mugs being counterfeited with the Victor name imprinted on the bottom.  I don't believe the counterfeit story at all or the whole serif/sans serif logo.  Neither did anyone involved in a discussion about this issue on a restaurant ware discussion site.

The seller of these 7.5 oz mugs stated they were told that Victor didn't make 7.5 oz mugs (indeed they did) so they were probably fake.
 View Profile Link to this post
CSG

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 10:13am

I wanted to post a link to the story about Victor mugs that talked about Ultima making copies that were stamped "China" on  the bottom.  The Victor folks were convinced they took a Victor mug and made a copy of it but nowhere was the claim of counterfeiting the Victor logo.

Click Here (www.cjow.com)
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 1:53pm

Thanks for the link Chris!

I actually saved this page to "My Documents" folder back on July 24th one day after my order to Victor Mugs when I was doing some research on Victor mugs.

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 6:14pm

CSG Said:

The 7.5's *seem* to have slightly thinner walls but I'm going to have to get my calipers out to check.  

I know someone who was selling the remaining stock of Victors talked about counterfeits on his site but the only reference to Chinese mugs that I ever found from an official source was a trade magazine article published in 2004 (?) that said Victor decided to cease production because of competition from the Chinese (Ultima, IIRC) and said nothing about their mugs being counterfeited with the Victor name imprinted on the bottom.  I don't believe the counterfeit story at all or the whole serif/sans serif logo.  Neither did anyone involved in a discussion about this issue on a restaurant ware discussion site.

The seller of these 7.5 oz mugs stated they were told that Victor didn't make 7.5 oz mugs (indeed they did) so they were probably fake.

Posted August 16, 2012 link

Is this the claim?

I just re-measured the capacity of one of mine. My mugs are 20 ounces empty, and the one I just measured holds 7.5 ounces (weighed on a .1 gram scale) filled to the absolute rim. There is a weight variance of about .25 to .4 ounce across my mugs, so the capacity might also vary a very slight amount. I poured it in until just before it would have dribbled over.

(I usually drink a 6-ounce cup--another reason this is the perfect mug for me!)

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 6:26pm

So is the volume measurement any different than your weight measurement?

lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 7:05pm

CraigA Said:

So is the volume measurement any different than your weight measurement?

Posted August 19, 2012 link

Hmmm. . . I'm not sure I know how to answer that!

I just poured in water and weighed it. So the 7.5 number is a liquid ounce weight of pure water.

www.lampmode.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 7:28pm

lifeandpeace Said:

Is this the claim?

I just re-measured the capacity of one of mine. My mugs are 20 ounces empty, and the one I just measured holds 7.5 ounces (weighed on a .1 gram scale) filled to the absolute rim. There is a weight variance of about .25 to .4 ounce across my mugs, so the capacity might also vary a very slight amount. I poured it in until just before it would have dribbled over.

(I usually drink a 6-ounce cup--another reason this is the perfect mug for me!)

Posted August 19, 2012 link

Wow, smaller capacity than I would how imagined, considering the MASS off these mugs.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
CSG

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 6:49am

lifeand peace, that's the place.

Yeah, the weight to volume capacity is out of whack.  That's why mugs with similar height and width dimensions but thin walls hold more (like the Chinese stuff from Retro-Planet).

I was at an antique mall recently and one of the sellers had a Wallace mug that was even more massive than the typical Victor mugs.  The walls on that thing seemed like they were nearly 1/2" thick!  I was going to buy it but was afraid I wouldn't be able to lift it with coffee in it. ;o)
jpaquin

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 10:09pm

This whole thread made me smile :)
I grew up in Victor and my neighbors and I would rummage around around the ceramics dump pile in back of Victor Insulators. At one point we had hundreds of mugs in my father's barn. We would tie a rope to a mug handle and then thread the more mugs on and then tie them to the beams. At some point he got rid of them all, I don't remember why.

A couple years ago the insulator plant sold off the remaining inventory, it might have been for the Victor Bicentennial, I don't recall.

But I bought a case of the green striped mugs. That case is HEAVY.

After reading this thread I had to run down, pluck one out of the case and make myself a cup of coffee with the keurig. It's much smaller than today's coffee mugs. If I select 6oz on the keurig it fills it RIGHT to the brim. So I went with a 4oz cup of coffee so I could add my cream and sugar.

In looking at the bottom of mine, it must be more current than the antiques. Mine has the Victor stamped but it also has stamped "Made in U.S.A." right under that.
I don't remember that on the classics of my childhood, but it might be something they added towards the end of their production.

I'd have to assume their genuine since I picked them up at the plant.

Thanks for the memories :)
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Victor coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311064958572)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+