Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Coffee and Butter
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Coffee and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
GrantT
GrantT
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra A3
Grinder: HG-One 71mm #002, Macap M4D
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 8:26am
Subject: Re: Coffee and Butter

I follow a mostly fat-burning "Paleo" way of eating, and if you look up "Bullet Proof Coffee", you will find numerous recipes that include butter (preferably grass-fed dairy butter...which is impossible to find in Canada), and coconut oil blended into coffee.

Interestingly, if you take butter (salt free) and coconut oil, pull a shot of espresso into it, and use an immersion blender, you get an amazing froth - very cappuccinoesc (new word of the day).  Add some hot water for a great Americano!

It tastes AMAZING!!!  It is my favorite espresso based drink.

If you follow a low-fat lifestyle, not a good drink for you.  But if you follow a low carb/paleo/fat burning diet lifestyle, it is a great drink.  I often use it as a breakfast substitute, and it holds me over like a meal as well.

Grant

"Wake up and Smell the Coffee"
 View Profile Link to this post
Silas

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 9:46am

Seems like I read somewhere that the monks in Tibet have some kind of drink in the morning that serves as breakfast.  It's a combination of several things.....probably coffee, butter and a grain.  Everyone gets a little bowl.  

What could we be missing!!  A breakfast drink?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:22pm

Some may recall the following conversation on CG in 2007.  I did and remarked about it WAY WAY WAY back then:

"Espresso and butter?"

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
garrett17

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: capresso, OE Lido, Hario...
Vac Pot: belgium royal coffee maker
Roaster: fresh roast sr500
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:38pm

Hi Len:

On this site I even found it back in 2005 but there was not lot of first hand commentary on it. Unfortunately when I look at your link know I can't find your reference. Anyway, I posted this as I wanted to hear first hand remarks on their experience. I am well aware of the use of butter in traditional drinks but hey I also know about tribal women who rub apples under their armpits and give it to the men they like. In both cases, it is interesting to read but much more enticing to hear it from someone who has experience the real deal! :)

After you posted did you ever try espresso with butter?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 1:21pm

garrett17 Said:

Hi Len:

On this site I even found it back in 2005 but there was not lot of first hand commentary on it. Unfortunately when I look at your link know I can't find your reference. Anyway, I posted this as I wanted to hear first hand remarks on their experience. I am well aware of the use of butter in traditional drinks but hey I also know about tribal women who rub apples under their armpits and give it to the men they like. In both cases, it is interesting to read but much more enticing to hear it from someone who has experience the real deal! :)

After you posted did you ever try espresso with butter?

Posted July 26, 2012 link

I posted the 2nd comment in that Espresso and Butter thread.  You know I never tried it as I always use salted butter instead of the unsalted as what should be used.  Maybe I will try it today.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 1:43pm
Subject: .

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 12:54pm

Hello again.  I went for it today and pulled a shot with  my La Pavoni and then added about  1 1/2 teaspoons of butter (salted because thats all I had).  I let it melt, swirled the shot glass a tiny bit, and swilled it down.  Comments:  I could barely tell there was butter in it.  The shots I pull with the pavoni are exceptional to begin with; the taste and mouthfeel already inherent in the shots overwhelm anything the butter may add.  Thats my opinion.  Final analysis:  Save the butter for your toast.

Len

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Jul 31, 2012, 12:05pm

I wasn't aware that they drank butter coffee in Tibet, only butter tea. I haven't tried it but a friend who has had it a number of times told me it is most definately an aquired taste. She drank it so as to not offend her hosts. The tradition there is to continually top up the cup, much to her consternation. I've had this treatment with chang (Sherpa beer) and the refilling didn't bother me in that case.

The Tibetans and Sherpa use yak butter for the tea, which by itself probably isn't so bad (I've eaten some very good yak cheese) except that in the case of my friend it was always rancid. I don't know if this is typical or she was simply unlucky. It is also salted so you have a slightly rancid, salty, and oddly tasting butter flavored tea. An acquired taste.

They also use this tea as the liquid to prepare a kind of porridge made from roasted barley flour which sounds interesting but I think I'd prefer espresso and biscotti.
pizzaman383

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme DDv2, KAProLinePID
Grinder: Fiorenzato Doge 83,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 3:35pm

I tried it this weekend.  I used 1/2 Tbsp of butter in a double shot with maybe a 1/2 tsp of undated butter.

It really transformed the taste.  There was no bitterness.  It was a little too buttery for my taste but there was almost no melted butter floating on top after I stirred it in.  

My wife thought it tasted interesting.  I did, too.  I might try again with 1/4 Tbsp in a double shot.  I prefer with milk but if I run out I would use butter.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 4:16pm

pizzaman383 Said:

I tried it this weekend.  I used 1/2 Tbsp of butter in a double shot with maybe a 1/2 tsp of undated butter.

It really transformed the taste.  There was no bitterness.  It was a little too buttery for my taste but there was almost no melted butter floating on top after I stirred it in.  

My wife thought it tasted interesting.  I did, too.  I might try again with 1/4 Tbsp in a double shot.  I prefer with milk but if I run out I would use butter.

Posted August 1, 2012 link

Maybe I didn't use enough butter.  I feel the 1 1/2 teaspoons I used added nothing to the taste or body.

Len

showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Coffee and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289121866226)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+