Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
P3 International P0270 Mold Alert Electronic Thermo-Hygrometer
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > P3 International...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 6:12am
Subject: P3 International P0270 Mold Alert Electronic Thermo-Hygrometer

Does this relate to coffee?  Not sure.  

It's hard to find a low-cost accurate instrument to measure relative humidity (RH).  Some of the cheap ones still use horse-hair movements (not accurate).  The good ones are expensive.

If you do a Google search on 'P3 International P0270 Mold Alert Electronic Thermo-Hygrometer ' you will find a good candidate for low-cost and accurate.  I ordered one this morning from amazon.ca (out of stock) and will report back when I get it.

The relation to coffee?  the company 'P3 International' is the same one that makes our Kill-A-Watt meter, which works, is well-made and is good value.

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012, 1:38pm
Subject: Re: P3 International P0270 Electronic Thermo-Hygrometer

Not only is the PO270 sold by P3 International, of Kill-A-Watt fame and fortune, it also has a Swedish-made sensor.  

Fifteen years ago, when I was controlling quality in an injection-moulding plant, we had a problem with a polystyrene bulk supplier which was caused by inadequate drying of the PS pellets.  But how to measure that?

I eventually found a company called Vaisalla Oyj of Sweden who sold me a very fine relative humidity (RH) meter and advised me as follows:  Open up a newly delivered drum of PS pellets, stick the probe in for five minutes and read the RH of the airspaces between the pellets.  That will give you a comparative measure.  If you have inventory of PS that work OK, use that as an initial standard.  

It would not surprise me if the sensor is made by Vaisalla.  If so, it is probably accurate.

Lurching back to coffee (as this is a coffee forum) those who wonder if their greens are coming in properly dried, here is the opportunity for more basic research:  Get one of these P3 PO270 Thermo Hygrometers ($36).  Get a Tupperware container.  Fill it half-full of green coffee.  Sit the PO270 on top and seal the container.  Come back an hour later and read the RH and wet-bulb temperature of the airspace above the coffee.

Why am I even thinking about this?  Because ...my current 10 lbs of Sumatra Mandheling is losing 18% in the roast.  And I am paying (by the lb) for coffee plus included moisture.  

The instrument itself, now hanging on my wall, seems to work well.  The temperature reading is within 1F degree of my accurate Taylor thermometer.  Right now, on a very hot day in Thornhill, Ontario Canada, where it is 93F and 37% RH outside, it is 77F, 47%RH and the T(wb) is 51F.  My air-conditioning if fighting the 'good fight'.

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > P3 International...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.178396940231)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+