Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Water thermometer?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Water...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JPDyson
JPDyson
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 8:04am
Subject: Re: Water thermometer?

We have a Thermapen and love it. Fast and accurate. Never would have bought it (gift from my Mother-in-law).

I've also got a much cheaper OXO thermometer that's holding up well; I enlarged one of the outlet holes in the lid of my Hario Buono and just sit that thermometer in that hole while the water is heating. I only turn it on after the water is mostly heated (I've gotten really good at predicting 195F by sound) and this eliminates read-time lag. The lead is already hot, and it keeps up pretty well as the water continues to rise up to 200-207F (which I then use to rinse or pre-heat the vessels I'll use for brewing, and it cools down to brew temp). I think I paid $20 for it at BB&B, and you can certainly get by like this.

I have a friend who brews tea and can get within 5F by sight... puts me to shame.

--Josh
 View Profile Link to this post
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 8:16am

Oh, btw my OXO has just decided to drop a couple segments from the LCD, so it's harder to read now (is that a 3 or an 8?). Guess you get what you pay for in the long run. Still got that Thermapen...

--Josh
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 10:39am

JKalpin Said:

An accurate thermometer is an essential tool for anyone working with coffee.

Posted June 23, 2012 link

How accurate?
jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 10:42am

EvanOz85 Said:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

It's expensive, yes, but it is ridiculously fast and accurate. It uses an actual thermocouple rather than a thermistor which is why it's more expensive, but also why it works so much better than the cheap ones.

That's a very nice looking probe. But thermocouples are not inherently more accurate or faster than thermistors. If anything thermistors tend to be more accurate and more stable over time. Thermocouples have a wider temperature range but that isn't important for coffee brewing. The main disadvantage with a thermistor is that its output is non-linear so the electronics have to be more complicated.

You can buy a tiny thermistor bead for $3 that is accurate to +/-1C at brew water temperature and has a very fast response time. It can easily be made into a small, flexible, waterproof probe and still retain fast response. If you calibrate it the accuracy can be improved. For $10-15 you can buy one that is accurate to a fraction of a degree out of the package. All you need is an ohmmeter to read one. Admittedly, using a table to convert to the temperature would bug most people, but for cheapskates it's a viable option. And a small flexible probe can reach places that a rigid thermometer can't.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 1:25pm

jpender Said:

How accurate?

Posted June 28, 2012 link

At the ice-point and boiling-point it is within 1F degree.  It is repeatable to within 0.5F.  The resolution is 0.1F.  For cooking (and coffee) that's probably OK.

Jerry
jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012, 6:03pm

JKalpin Said:

At the ice-point and boiling-point it is within 1F degree.  It is repeatable to within 0.5F.  The resolution is 0.1F.  For cooking (and coffee) that's probably OK.

Posted June 28, 2012 link

That's good to know. I almost bought one of those a few months ago but hesitated since the packaging (and even their website) said nothing about the accuracy.
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012, 5:19pm

*hangs head in shame*

I've used a Pyrex meat thermometer before...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 3:04pm

JKalpin Said:

An accurate thermometer is an essential tool for anyone working with coffee.  

I have a Taylor Instruments 9847N, look here.

I bought mine in a kitchen store, around $15.  

I checked it at the boiling point and the ice point and it was very accurate.  Also, it is very fast.

I bought one of these $15 Taylor 9847N probes at BB&B a number of months ago. It's a little slow to reach a stable reading but has otherwise seemed satisfactory for brewing coffee. Recently I purchased a second one to implant into my moka pot. I took the time to check the accuracy of these two as compared to a US Sensor KS103J2 precision thermistor, which is guaranteed to be accurate to 0.1C up to 80C 70C. Above that temperature US Sensor makes no claims.

The thermistor in the Taylor probe is a tiny glass encapsulated bead of unknown make. It has a resistance of 1 kohm at 25C.

The two Taylor probes differed from one another somewhat consistently by a fraction of a degree. More interestingly they both read low compared to the precision thermistor up to about 60C and read higher than it for higher temperatures (see graph). So it appears that I had been brewing about half a degree Celsius cooler than I had thought.

To prepare it for my moka pot I carefully removed the tiny thermistor from the metal tip of the second Taylor probe, and then protected the wires and thermistor with a thin coating of epoxy. This had a pronounced effect on the response time. The factory version takes ~25 seconds to go from room temperature to a stable reading when immersed in water above 90C whereas the stripped down probe is stable in under 10 seconds. There's too much metal in the Taylor probe tip.

jpender: Taylor.jpg
(Click for larger image)
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 8:52pm

I notice you used 0C to test both Taylor thermometers against your precision thermister.  Was that in an ice-water bath?

It seems that the variations of each were within 0.9C which is probably OK for coffee (and other cooking).

I wonder if those thermisters have the same error up around 100C which is where you would be doing a lot of testing for coffee.  

I tested mine in boiling water and found a source of error in the gradient between the bottom and top of the boiling pot (currents?) and wonder if my ice-water bath had a similar gradient between the top and bottom.

Jerry
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 5:42am

I use the Taylor NSF digital unit, it is inexpensive and works well for me in all my kitchen duties. Nothing against the Thermalpin, they are great but a bit more on the expensive side.
Click Here (www.chefsresource.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Water...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.341717004776)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+