Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
New to this
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > New to this  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
isabayo

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bonavita
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 5:27am
Subject: New to this

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and just got into what I guess is called 3rd wave coffee in an effort to drink the best tasting smoothest coffee possible.  I've been on this forum for the past few weeks as well as home-barista for countless hours learning about the different coffees, brewing methods, and etc.  I've upgraded my autodrip from a Cuisinart to a Bonavita and have been playing around with different grind settings and doses but still don't enjoy it black because of the bitter taste, I don't really taste much of anything else.  I hope I'm not a supertaster!  I started using fresh coffee from Intelligentsia at home for the past 2 days and didn't notice much of a difference from my K cups I use at work initially but all of a sudden my K cups this morning started tasting really bad; excessively sour and bitter.  Maybe its one of those things where the upgrade doesn't seem like much until you go back.  Did you guys start off thinking black coffee is too bitter than gradually developed the palate for it and the different nuances and flavor notes?  I'm using Intelligentsia's sugar glider, its supposed to be very sweet but I don't taste the sweetness at all... maybe it'll be different when I use it in espresso?
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 5:52am
Subject: .

isabayo

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bonavita
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 6:09am
Subject: Re: New to this

Interesting..  I don't like olives, beer, dry wines though I don't mind dark chocolate but maybe not 90%.  On the other hand I love sweet.  Maybe my coffee experience will always be restricted to milk based drinks
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 6:33am

isabayo Said:

Interesting..  I don't like olives, beer, dry wines though I don't mind dark chocolate but maybe not 90%.  On the other hand I love sweet.  Maybe my coffee experience will always be restricted to milk based drinks

Posted June 26, 2012 link

Well, I doubt that, but I suppose it's possible. While a lot of coffee black is bitter, not all are. I'm the same as steve, in that I've never avoided bitter and have drank coffee black ever since I was in high school (before high school I put in so much sugar, I wouldn't even call it coffee). But it's unlikely that you'll never find an espresso sweet enough to enjoy straight. You'll certainly probably lean toward milk drinks on a regular basis, but you may find yourself wanting to just enjoy the taste of a straight shot of a sweet espresso every once in a while.

Sugar glider IS a sweet espresso, but you're right that sometimes it's harder to pick up these things in a brewed cup if you're not used to trying to pull out specific tastes. Think of espresso as a sort of magnifier, in a couple ways: it focuses you in on the heart of the coffee, and then it intensifies it. This means that it's going to bring out all those sweet tastes in a much more obvious way.

What may be something to try is a pourover. They're pretty inexpensive (the $20 V60 is a favorite of mine) and, in my experience, bring out the brighter, sweeter aspects of a coffee the best when they're brewed correctly. It is also a very clean, clear, and light cup, as compared with some other brewing methods.

Experimentation is key. Hope it helped.

-Dave-
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 8:31am

isabayo Said:

Posted June 26, 2012 link

I love olives, beer and dry wines...and all chocolate.  I've always taken my coffee with milk and sweetener.  I have been doing my own espresso for nearly 10 years and though I've moved from what most would clearly call a cappuccino to something probably closer to a macchiato, and reduced the amount of sweetener I use, I'd say at the rate I have drifted towards black, it'll take another 20 years to get there.

EDIT:  btw, I used to drink Klatch WBC almost exclusively, but have been using Red Bird for...oh...about 6 months, maybe.  Neither of these is very bitter at all.

Bottom line is take it the way you like it, and don't worry about what others think or how they like theirs.  Everyone's tastes are different.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 5:45pm

I have never added sugar to coffee, even when I had my first cup, I think I was about 7 or 8. I begged, and my mom poured a tiny bit into a cup of milk. I gradually lightened it until high school I drank it black. Now, talk about bitter, I drank Chicory in Coffee for awhile, the grocery store stuff. But never went back to adding milk or creamer.

I can go into a Denney's and get coffee and I drink it black and trust me, I just tell myself it is a way to get caffeine in my system, not a way to enjoy coffee.

Sometimes, though, it is expectations.

I introduced a friend who always added tons of creamer and sugar to her coffee to Intelli about 18 months ago. We were at their Pasadena California location. I ordered her coffee, and told her to taste it before she added anything to it. She drank the first half black. She then decided to add some of her usual to the second half and said she should have left it black. We go out for coffee a few times a year since we live a good distance away from each other. When we are in a good third wave location, she drinks it black. At work, she still pollutes the crud they serve because she says it is the only way to gag it down.

So yes, your tastes can change. It might even vary with the origin of the coffee.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
profjayrob

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Krupps
Grinder: Cuisinart
Drip: Krupps
Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 8:26am

With me it depends on mood. About 75-80% of the time I drink my coffee black. When I am feeling in a "desserty" mood I'll go for the flavored milky coffee/espresso drinks preferably one usong chocolate...the darker the better
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 9:02am

I developed a taste for the dark roast K-cups about 5 years ago. Still, I found them pretty aggressive, but there was something appealing about them. It became an acquired taste. For no reason at all, I decided to buy a burr grinder, a french press, and a bag of Terroir coffee and I've never looked back. I prefer light and medium roasts, roast my own coffee, and love bright floral single origin coffees. I now find dark roasts to be overly pungent and unnecessary, unless a darker roast brings out a chocolate character in the bean.

I love craft beer and find that I acquire a taste for things VERY quickly. I decided that I wanted to try bourbon and soon after developed a taste for it neat. Caffeine is a bitter component, which is only enhanced by bitter/bittersweet roast notes. There is definitely an acquired element in there, but once you develop a taste for it, your taste buds almost look past it. I'm drinking a cup of home roasted Kenyan that has a nice round bittersweet dark chocolate finish and I love it. If I were to taste it for the first time, my taste buds would probably just taste bitter. Similar to the first time I drank a heavily hopped India Pale Ale. All I tasted was bitterness, but now I can appreciate piney grapefruit within the bitterness.

It's a journey.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 9:46am

I'm also a home brewer.  My house specialty is akin to an ESB.  I pretty much love all high quality beers and when selecting a beer to enjoy, do so from any of the numerous AHA-recognized brew styles, depending on my mood.  I do love IPAs and even enjoy barley wine, one of the most bitter styles around (by the way, I even have traveled to San Francisco to attend the Toronado barley wine fest (where I sampled everything on the menu, which was about 50 that year).

Having said all that, I still prefer sweetener in my coffee based drinks.

Just saying so to illustrate that everyone's tastes are different.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 9:59am

emradguy Said:

I'm also a home brewer.  My house specialty is akin to an ESB.  I pretty much love all high quality beers and when selecting a beer to enjoy, do so from any of the numerous AHA-recognized brew styles, depending on my mood.  I do love IPAs and even enjoy barley wine, one of the most bitter styles around (by the way, I even have traveled to San Francisco to attend the Toronado barley wine fest (where I sampled everything on the menu, which was about 50 that year).

Having said all that, I still prefer sweetener in my coffee based drinks.

Just saying so to illustrate that everyone's tastes are different.

Posted June 27, 2012 link

+1. Great post.

The beer world is one of so much variation that it is a perfect example of how tastes can differ, as can opinions of a beer style. I love the big almost cloyingly sweet English barley wines over the enamel-dissolving-heavily-hopped American versions. There is so much variation in the beer world as with the coffee world. Tastes, opinions, and approaches will be different from person to person. In the end, it's all about enjoyment. Drink and eat what you enjoy!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > New to this  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (4.95893001556)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+