Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
"Why Your Coffee Isn't Tasting as Good Lately"
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > "Why Your Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 1:57pm
Subject: "Why Your Coffee Isn't Tasting as Good Lately"

Article:  "The Bitter Truth About Why Your Coffee Isn't Tasting as Good Lately"

Click Here (www.dailyfinance.com)

Snippet:
"Reuters is reporting that many of America's major brands have been quietly tweaking their coffee blends. While most coffee companies consider their blends trade secrets, and are loath to disclose exactly what goes into them, both circumstantial and direct evidence suggests they're now substituting lower-grade Robusta beans for some of their pricier Arabica, and degrading the quality of our coffee."

Interesting article.  Doesn't apply to us home roasters, but still it it has industry significance.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 4:58am
Subject: Re: "Why Your Coffee Isn't Tasting as Good Lately"

Interesting but not unexpected. Consumer product makers are looking for ways to keep price down and with coffee, move to less expensive beans is the easiest way to do this. I would wager that to someone who loads their coffee up with cream and sugar, they may not notice, just add more stuff to the coffee. Isn't this also why *$ over roasts their beans, to make the flavor the same regardless of where you buy your coffee?

As an interesting side note, I have a book published by Starbucks a long time ago and they say all the same things we say here to get great coffee. It is too bad they have walked away from these basics.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 8:13am

calblacksmith Said:

Interesting but not unexpected. Consumer product makers are looking for ways to keep price down and with coffee, move to less expensive beans is the easiest way to do this. I would wager that to someone who loads their coffee up with cream and sugar, they may not notice, just add more stuff to the coffee. Isn't this also why *$ over roasts their beans, to make the flavor the same regardless of where you buy your coffee?

As an interesting side note, I have a book published by Starbucks a long time ago and they say all the same things we say here to get great coffee. It is too bad they have walked away from these basics.

Posted June 21, 2012 link

They say their Pikes Place is what their first coffee tasted like; however I wonder if that really is so.  It would be interesting to go back in time to see exactly how they roasted and served their first batch of beans they sold in that store.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

CraigJS

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza M plus
Drip: filter cone, FP, Moka
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 9:42am

If I could go back in time, it wouldn't be to see what Starbucks was doing....:-)
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 1:27pm

CraigJS Said:

If I could go back in time, it wouldn't be to see what Starbucks was doing....:-)

Posted June 22, 2012 link

I would.  However it would be on my way to the nearest stock brokerage so I could make a killing in futures.

Len

koyoyo

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 4:55pm

haha , funny question.

For led t-shirt, el led t-shirt, sound actived t-shirt,welcome to visit:
http://www.ledtshirtonline.com/
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 3:20am
Subject: .

msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 5:03pm

Just happened upon this thread. Read that article online a month ago, although published last summer. I'm one of those former drinkers of major brand pre-ground coffee sold in cans available at grocery stores. I have always added cream/sugar to my coffee, but not "loaded up". Never was a *$ fan either, too burned and bitter!

November 2012.....  couldn't drink my usual coffee, suddenly horrible, yek. Opened a new blue can, no coffee smell. Ran to the store to buy the other major brand in red can, got home, opened that up---same thing.

Went online, found this site and started learning. Brewing in Bonavita 7 days later---lucky to have local roaster here for fresh ground from fresh beans BUT researched grinders and got one.  

Those big companies really have been "tweeking" their coffee, no telling what's in those cans now---surely done little by little so not a big change for consumers all at once. Wonder how this will effect those major brands within the next months or year. Some brands stated "100% Arabica Coffee" on the can (of blended whatever), they ALL now say "100% Pure Coffee".

Are others experiencing what I did not so long ago? AND if so what are they doing now?

Now I know most of you guys have been drinking better coffee for a long while. I also know what I used to drink, when it tasted like coffee, wouldn't hold a candle to the good stuff I'm now drinking. Even with a little cream/sugar added, I want to taste good coffee in my cup.

This forum saved my morning coffee, something I cherish. THANKS to all of you here for your experience and patience in helping me with my coffee. Your help was and continues to be greatly appreciated.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 8:03pm

Well (I'm from Nashville), we're glad you found CG. Our members here are 2nd to none when it comes to sharing what we know. After all, for many, it was not that long ago we were right where you were, maybe worse.
Glad you're with us!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 8:06pm

Rebecca, neighbor (I'm from Nashville), we're glad you found CG. Our members here are 2nd to none when it comes to sharing what we know. After all, for many, it was not that long ago we were right where you were, maybe worse.
Glad you're with us!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > "Why Your Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277799844742)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+