Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
First cupping experience
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > First cupping...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Burd
Burd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID'd
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew...
Roaster: Behmor + i-Roast
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 10:08pm
Subject: First cupping experience

Well today was filled with all kinds of new things.  I have been roasting at home for nearly 5 years and have never been to a cupping.  Where I live there is little interest in such an activity not to mention no quality places to host it.  I had found an article online and saw they were holding a cupping today and tomorrow.  Even though it was nearly an hour away I had to go.  I went today and it was fabulous.  They had the whole thing set up perfectly.  I may have never attended an "official", for lack of a better word, cupping even though I have seen many videos over the years.  It was just as they showed them, 4 total coffees, 3 cups of each so 12 total.  We started by smelling the dry grounds followed by the host filling each cup and repeating it.  We waited our 4 minutes then each person was able to break the crust on one of the cups while taking in the aroma, there were a few folks there and he wanted us all to experience it.  Then came the beginning of the fun.  He had us taste each of the 4 while taking a taste from all 3 cups of each type.  I guess as he explained it, it was too cleanse the palate from the other taste and to bring out the flavors.  After everyone had a chance to enjoy this it was time to chat for a bit while the cups cooled to room temp.  Then just as he explained it as it was cool and the taste brought out new flavors.  I had experienced that part before since I have roasted for a while now.  Just the entire setting along with great company made the whole time we were there a great memory and educational at the same time.

Just wanted to share this and say who knew you can have so much fun slurping coffee off a spoon.  If you have never been to one definitely see if there is ever one in your area.  I will be attending more for sure, if they ever come around again.  

Alex
 View Profile Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 4:14am
Subject: Re: First cupping experience

Burd Said:

Well today was filled with all kinds of new things.  I have been roasting at home for nearly 5 years and have never been to a cupping.  Where I live there is little interest in such an activity not to mention no quality places to host it.  I had found an article online and saw they were holding a cupping today and tomorrow...

Alex

Posted June 16, 2012 link

Lived in Florida for years.  Curious, who is offering cuppings?

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burd
Burd

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID'd
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew...
Roaster: Behmor + i-Roast
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 7:55am

It was in Naples at a place called Fit and Fuel.
 View Profile Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 8:22am

Burd Said:

It was in Naples at a place called Fit and Fuel.

Posted June 17, 2012 link

There is enough discretionary income there to make a 3rd wave coffee shop hum.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > First cupping...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225480079651)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+