Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Coffee Drinking: An Emerging Social Problem?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Coffee Drinking:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
purosdave

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic; Grimac...
Grinder: Pavoni PGC; Baratza Maestro;...
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup
Drip: Bunn NHBX
Roaster: TO/SC; Poppery II
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 4:35pm
Subject: Re: Coffee Drinking: An Emerging Social Problem?

tracerbullet Said:

Exact same is true for me. I drink decaf at times just because I like the taste of coffee in general (even though decafs tend not to be very good, it's better than not having any at all).

Posted May 8, 2012 link

I used to feel the same way, but I believe there are several good decafs available, my favorite being DP Ethiopians.  Unfortunately I have also found that the quality in the cup diminishes rather quickly after roasting so buying a one pound bag may be wasteful.  Try a half pound from your local roaster or if you roast your own do more frequent, smaller batches.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 6:16am

tracerbullet Said:

Exact same is true for me. I drink decaf at times just because I like the taste of coffee in general (even though decafs tend not to be very good, it's better than not having any at all).

Posted May 8, 2012 link

that's what i find ironic. people on here strive for excellent taste, they want exact temperature, weight, "rule of 15's", say sugar is too refined, scared of aluminum, need organic coffee/milk, ect., ect., yet ignore all the crap the beans go through to become decaffeinated.

IMO, drinking coffee that comes out the ass-end of a cat sounds more natural.

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
 View Profile Link to this post
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 6:51am

Well I don't get that far into it I guess ;)  I drink tap water no problem!  If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger, and all that...  Actually I am health conscious, I run and take classes at the gym, tend to actually "cook" food made with real ingredients as opposed to heating things up, and so on. Only up to a point apparently. I see what you mean though. I wonder if the same people that are concerned about that list of variables do or don't drink decaf?

I love my morning espresso (or two) and strive to make it as good as possible. I will dump one down the sink if it didn't come out right and do it again. I guess that late at night I'm in a different mindset and just want the taste, even if it's something that's only a poor copy of the taste. I may have to change that - what exactly is DP Ethiopian? I'd like to give it a try, Google is a bit vague with just that however. Is DP a brand, or a process, or_?
purosdave

Espresso: Gaggia Classic; Grimac...
Grinder: Pavoni PGC; Baratza Maestro;...
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup
Drip: Bunn NHBX
Roaster: TO/SC; Poppery II
Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 3:23pm

BB- not all decaf is treated the same.  I enjoy the Swiss Water processed coffee which allows a coffee to maintain its organic certification.

Tracer- Sorry for not being more clear, I was referring to dry processed Ethiopian coffee.  The best I have had recently was one I roasted myself from the Sidamo region.  I got the beans at the Co-op.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Thu May 10, 2012, 5:45am

purosdave Said:

BB- not all decaf is treated the same.  I enjoy the Swiss Water processed coffee which allows a coffee to maintain its organic certification.

Posted May 9, 2012 link

i realize that, but all decaf requires some sort of processing. do you really think using "organic" beans in the decaf process matters?

i just find it hard to believe that any type of decaffeination is good for the flavor of the coffee bean when people are so concerned with where the trees are grown, if they were shade grown, "organic certification", hand picked vs. machine picked, what side of the farm, small lots, the list goes on.

bottom line... if all these little things effect the flavor, i can't comprehend how any decaf process doesn't destroy it.

personally, this is the only decaf i would consider trying....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffea_charrieriana

seems more natural or "organic" than the others. ;)

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
kopirama
kopirama

Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 2:51am

Bitches_Brew Said:

if all these little things effect the flavor, i can't comprehend how any decaf process doesn't destroy it.

Posted May 10, 2012 link

Precisely, I still can't figure it out so far why coffee would go decaf at all. Is it because of the flavor only?

IMO coffee is addictive, to put it bluntly, whether I like it or not. Not going into denial here. It's called 'caffeine' for a reason. But there are a level of addiction experienced by individuals. I'm sure some of you would know a person that feels their life is better accompanied by many cups of coffee in their everyday life. That's always fine, but is it a social problem (as some may compare it to *cough* cocaine *cough*? No way.

Learn the world's biggest controversy in the coffee industry www.kopirama.com

Nice to tweet you at www.twitter.com/kopirama
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 3:37pm

National Geographic did an article on coffee and its effects a couple of years ago.  Caffeine is a mild stimulant.  It elevates the levels of some brain chemical temporarily.  Interestingly, the brain normalizes this in about 3 days so that when you drink that morning coffee at the same time every day, you no longer get the 'up'.  

If you stop drinking coffee your brain will again normalize in about 3 days.  In the mean time, you may feel a little sluggish around coffee time as you have lower than normal levels of said chemical floating about your brain.

I do not think coffee/caffeine is particularly addictive though
rabbit

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: v.3  miss sylvia
Grinder: baratza  vario, encore
Vac Pot: presspot
Roaster: fresh roast sr300
Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 6:23pm

WOW i really don't care............................just bashing coffee totally..................................................
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 6:39pm

rabbit Said:

WOW i really don't care............................just bashing coffee totally....................... ...........................

Posted May 12, 2012 link

I read somewhere that sugar is actually one of the most highly addictive substances on the face of the earth.  Seriously, no joke here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_addiction

Click Here (www.huffingtonpost.com)

Click Here (articles.nydailynews.com)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction

Next in line has to be water.  Yup, highly addictive.

Air has to be in there somewhere too, I would imagine.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rabbit

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: v.3  miss sylvia
Grinder: baratza  vario, encore
Vac Pot: presspot
Roaster: fresh roast sr300
Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 7:05pm

i don't use sugar in coffee............do we really need sugar?
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Coffee Drinking:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307631015778)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+