Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Coffee Drinking: An Emerging Social Problem?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Coffee Drinking:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
kopirama
kopirama
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 2:14am
Subject: Coffee Drinking: An Emerging Social Problem?

Just found this article: Click Here (www.jstor.org)

From what I get of it, it basically says that coffee drinker is actually a caffeine addict in its simplest form. What's your take on that?

The author of the book makes me feel like reading the first time when nicotine was found as hazardous to health.

Learn the world's biggest controversy in the coffee industry www.kopirama.com

Nice to tweet you at www.twitter.com/kopirama
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 4:15am
Subject: Re: Coffee Drinking: An Emerging Social Problem?

I'd like to just roll my eyes.
While the affects of caffeine are still being studied, there are plusses in coffee, I don't think there are any in cigarettes.
Are some people addicted to? In a way. They get blinding headaches when they don't drink it.
For others is it casual in a way cigarettes could never be - absolutely.

And let's not forget our friends who are addicted to energy drinks. Or even just cola.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 4:32am

Next thing you know is that we all have to frequent speakeasies to get our daily lattes.  :-D

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 4:49am

I note the date of that article is almost 30 years ago.

Coffee has gone from being bad, to being good, to being bad, to being good again since then.  It has benefits, it has drawbacks.  It's not addictive, but people do build dependency and tolerance to it.  At most its effects are mild to those who are not overly sensitive to it.  I'm going to die anyway, so why hide from an enjoyable part of life just because it might kill me in, oh say, 70 years?

Donald Varona
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 5:42am

kopirama Said:

From what I get of it, it basically says that coffee drinker is actually a caffeine addict in its simplest form. What's your take on that?

The author of the book makes me feel like reading the first time when nicotine was found as hazardous to health.

Posted May 8, 2012 link

i have to agree. WE ARE ALL ADDICTED!  that is the MAIN reason people drink coffee. (same holds true with alcohol and wine) this site wouldn't exist if coffee didn't have caffeine in it. the same holds true for the expensive equipment used to make it. remember, most people don't start off drinking decaf. ;)

BTW, nicotine is more toxic than cocaine.

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 7:42am

Lets have them try to take my coffee cup from my hands.  They gonna have to get by Kaiser vom Nordostenhaus, my military grade purebred unneutered working line German Shepherd first.  He is only 8 months in the picture shown, now is over 2 years old and much bigger.  He's not a vicious dog; its just that he will rip you a new a*shole and think its just a game.  And thats just from the humping.  

Len

CoffeeRoastersClub: kaiser3.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 8:14am

Bitches_Brew Said:

i have to agree. WE ARE ALL ADDICTED!  that is the MAIN reason people drink coffee...

Posted May 8, 2012 link

Not true for me. I've gone without for a few days with no problem. Caffeine is the main reason I don't drink *more* coffee!
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 9:11am
Subject: .

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 9:29am

Netphilosopher Said:

Enh.

Read "all about coffee" by Ukers.  It's one of the neater (and pretty much free) books on coffee history there are.

This too shall pass, and we will understand that all in moderation is fine enough.  Coffee is coffee.

(Except for exposure to curare - there's no such thing as "moderation".  LOL)

Posted May 8, 2012 link

+1.  I remember when eggs would kill you.  Now they are good for you.  Butter would kill you; so use margarine.  Now margarine will kill you faster than butter.

Eat and drink in moderation; look both ways before you cross the street; don't release too much gas in a small enclosed area and light a match; believe 1/2 of what you see and nothing what you read; and most of all enjoy life.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 9:54am

jbviau Said:

Not true for me. I've gone without for a few days with no problem. Caffeine is the main reason I don't drink *more* coffee!

Posted May 8, 2012 link

Exact same is true for me. I drink decaf at times just because I like the taste of coffee in general (even though decafs tend not to be very good, it's better than not having any at all).
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Coffee Drinking:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.352854967117)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+