Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
What a difference a Bunn makes!
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > What a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
wsikes
wsikes
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011, 2:30pm
Subject: Re: What a difference a Bunn makes!

Dave... some very good suggestions... I do have a Baratza Maestro Plus coming next week to set next to the Bunn and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.  Also I do grind a little to the fine side of Drip on my present grinder... the Drip setting gave the coffee a "Blah" taste.  And last, but not least, I use the Bunn filters and have noticed the wet grounds do "climb" the filter almost to the top... I think I will give your method a shot... it sounds like a great idea.
Have you seen the Holiday roasted bean swap list I'm starting up?
Catch you later...

Bill
 View Profile Link to this post
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011, 6:09pm

purosdave Said:

To prevent overflow I start by pouring the water into the reservoir and close the lid for 8-10 seconds (depending on the amount of coffee I am brewing) I then swivel the lid back around to stop the water flow.  After the coffee has bloomed about 45 seconds I re-close the lid and allow the brewing cycle to complete.  This process has given me coffee that rivals any standard brewed coffee I can buy period.

Posted November 18, 2011 link

I tried this tip tonight and it works great.  I can actually taste the difference in the improved saturation.  I have a Baratza Maestro Plus due in on Tuesday, but I'll tell you I just don't see how the coffee can possibly get any better.

Bill
purosdave

Espresso: Gaggia Classic; Grimac...
Grinder: Pavoni PGC; Baratza Maestro;...
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup
Drip: Bunn NHBX
Roaster: TO/SC; Poppery II
Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011, 12:56am

Thanks for the invite Bill!  I am already participating in two different "virtual" secret santas online so I will pass this time but I do enjoy swapping coffee so count me in after the new year and even if its just you and me I'm in!
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
RobWilgus

Espresso: LeLit PL041QE
Grinder: Kyocera Ceramic Manual Hand...
Drip: Bunn Velocity Brew STX
Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 12:38am

We just got a Bunn Velocity Brew STX and are very happy with the taste so far. We went from a Cuisinart and this is definitely an upgrade. However, we seem to have to use much more coffee to get the same strength, i.e. we used 3 heaping scoops with the Cuisinart for 12 cups and have to use 5 scoops with the Bunn for just 10 cups. We have only used the pre-ground Starbuck's brand so far but we do have some whole beans I will grind and try. Does the Bunn possibly need a different grind. the water does go through faster so maybe a finer grind?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 12:00pm

If you thought a Bunn made a big step up for your coffee, wait until you grind your own GOOD PROPERLY ROASTED, FRESH COFFEE!

The shape of the filter holder has a LOT to do with the speed of the brew. I am taking a guess that your old maker had a cone shape and the bunn has a flat bottom holder, Right?

Part of the reason that the old maker was not as good is that a cone tends to trap a lot of coffee in the bottom and you get over extraction from the grounds at the bottom. The flatter bottom basket spreads the bed of coffee out sideways and you get a MUCH more even flow of water through the coffee. Yes the grind size and volume of grounds both need to be adjusted until you get the proper brew ratio.

The Bunn website has a wealth of info for you to check out, give it a read.

http://www.bunnathome.com/brew-better

There is a LOT more info there but this will get you started.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 1:24pm

I've been using my Bunn BTX regularly for the last three months, ever since my home coffee consumers jumped from two to four.  I just couldn't keep up with the demands and time needed to make 800 ml batches in the Chemex every morning.  Once I dialed in the dose and grind (50 grams coffee quite fine, one macro click above midpoint on my Vario + 900 ml water) I got really good tasting coffee from this machine that's been in my garage quite a while.

I'm getting to the end of my Bunn home coffee filters, though (BUNBCF100) and I haven't been able to find any brick-and-mortar retailers that carry these on their shelves.  Anyone know where I can pick these up without going to Amazon, etc?

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 1:35pm

Wifee gets ours from Walmart.

Bill
yakster
yakster

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 3:18pm

Thanks, Bill, I will give Walmart a try.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
yakster
yakster

Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 7:47am

I didn't make it over to Walmart, but I did stop into Smart & Final last night since it was nearby and they had plenty of the flat-bottomed Bunn home coffee filters so I'm all set.

Thanks.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
RobWilgus

Espresso: LeLit PL041QE
Grinder: Kyocera Ceramic Manual Hand...
Drip: Bunn Velocity Brew STX
Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012, 1:30am

calblacksmith Said:

If you thought a Bunn made a big step up for your coffee, wait until you grind your own GOOD PROPERLY ROASTED, FRESH COFFEE!

The shape of the filter holder has a LOT to do with the speed of the brew. I am taking a guess that your old maker had a cone shape and the bunn has a flat bottom holder, Right?

Part of the reason that the old maker was not as good is that a cone tends to trap a lot of coffee in the bottom and you get over extraction from the grounds at the bottom. The flatter bottom basket spreads the bed of coffee out sideways and you get a MUCH more even flow of water through the coffee. Yes the grind size and volume of grounds both need to be adjusted until you get the proper brew ratio.

The Bunn website has a wealth of info for you to check out, give it a read.

http://www.bunnathome.com/brew-better

There is a LOT more info there but this will get you started.

Posted April 2, 2012 link

Thank you! Yes, the old Cuisinart had a cone-shaped filter and yes the new Bunn has a flat-bottom filter :^ )
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > What a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.288251876831)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+