Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
coffee refractometer
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
gt

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Cones & CCD
Roaster: P1 w/ variacs
Posted Sat Mar 24, 2012, 2:40pm
Subject: Re: VST LAB Coffee Refractometer

eMoJo Said:

Final comments and suggestions
This should read 2.00 +/- 0.05% on the VST Coffee Refractometer at 20.0 +/- 1.0 Deg C.  

~Vince@VST                                                               Edit 3/19: corrected typo on temp

Posted March 18, 2012 link

Vince, I hate to be nuisance here but (from above) did you mean 2.00 +/- .05 like from 1.95 to 2.05?  Or did you really mean 2.0 +/- .05% ?

Thanks Gary
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
eMoJo
eMoJo
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 2:14pm

Vince, I hate to be nuisance here but (from above) did you mean 2.00 +/- .05 like from 1.95 to 2.05?  Or did you really mean 2.0 +/- .05% ?

Hi Gary:

No, I didn’t mean “2.0 +/- .05%”, because 0.05% of 2.00(%) would imply a range of value of +/- 0.001%, which exceeds the resolution of the refractometer.

I did mean, as stated,  2.00 +/- 0.05% TDS, ie: 1.95-2.05 % TDS coffee, also equivalent to Mass Fraction, as in 2.00g/100g x 100 expressed in percent as 2.00.

The notation used; “2.00 +/- 0.05 % at 20.0 +/- 1.0 Deg C” does not specify the unit/descriptor (% and ºC) until both the target and range of tolerance is specified, implying (therefore), that the "descriptor" applies to both terms, similarly at the specified target and range for Temperature (i.e., ºC).

Finally, the range of TDS outlined does not include stack up or accumulated error.  For example, if the scale (or a calibration weight used to verify accuracy of a scale) used to make up the sucrose solution has a stated accuracy of +/- 0.1g, then this could add approx +/- 0.04% error to the measured result.  In addition, temperatures outside of the range I suggested would be additive to those two previous offsets.  So, as you can see, one has to be careful about making statements of “measured accuracy”. A fairly significant investment in equipment accompanied with the requisite analytical protocol must be used to end up with an “accurate” result.  

That said, if you’re careful, you should be able to get an idea whether your refractometer is in w/in a reasonable range of expected accuracy.  The final alternative, if one has good reason to suspect there might be a problem with accuracy is to buy the Reference Solutions, which are specified at +/- 0.02% and +/- 0.03% for the Low and High REF points, respectively, and within a temperature range of +/- 2.0 Deg C of 20.0ºC.

~Vince@VST
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sun Mar 25, 2012, 4:52pm

^^^ See also the definition of pedantic... ;)
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2012, 5:36am
Subject: Re: coffee refractometer

TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Mon Mar 26, 2012, 10:39pm

jbviau Said:

^^^ See also the definition of pedantic... ;)

Posted March 25, 2012 link

I propose that any posters willing to write this much useful information - and able to bring so much knowledge to the table - receive a free pass to frame their contributions however their mood strikes them.
IenBell

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2012, 10:39pm

I have been requested about this by a few of my visitors also. I am going to see if I can't get my arms on one of these. If I do I will be satisfied to reveal my ideas with you.
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012, 2:23am

andys Said:

For quite a while I too used the Aeropress filters to prepare espresso samples for refractometer measurement. But when I compared the results to syringe filter measurements, the AP filtered measurements read high by an inconsistent margin.

The price is right when AP filtering, but unfortunately the results can't be trusted. IMO.

Posted March 18, 2012 link

Do you still use the Aeropress filters for non-espresso brewing methods?  I use them to re-filter cloudy Aeropress coffee for testing, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.  Using the same method for French press, I often get wandering readings, which I assume indicates solids settling on the lens.  I've never used my refractometer for espresso, which is something I should probably change, especially considering I ordered it with espresso filters.

I've never really liked transferring the coffee to a cup to cool.  It always seems like an added chance of evaporation or other factors like differing initial sample size messing up the reading.  I can get very stable readings putting a few drops directly on the lens well, though I think they tend to be slightly different from pre-cooled coffee.  Going by videos online, it would seem quite a few people use the VST refractometers this way.  I often wonder whether a lot of users follow a strict enough consistent methodology to get repeatable and useful results, though.

I am interested to know how you are supposed to determine the water loss ratio when brewing coffee.  The 2.0g/g figure is a reasonable average, but a range of 1.6-2.4g/g affects the TDS reading by +/- 0.5% TDS.  Factors like whether you rinse the filter and squeeze it after brewing pourover, and extremes of grind setting like Turkish powder or coarse boulders certainly seem to affect the WLR.  It mostly comes up for me when doing cold brew experiments.  Last time I mentioned this on HB, I was kind of brushed off without a useful answer.

Chris
andys
andys

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012, 9:50am

Bob_McBob Said:

Do you still use the Aeropress filters for non-espresso brewing methods?  I use them to re-filter cloudy Aeropress coffee for testing, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.  Using the same method for French press, I often get wandering readings, which I assume indicates solids settling on the lens.

Posted April 6, 2012 link

I believe you're correct, when the solids aren't filtered out they gradually settle and the readings keep changing. Also, there are some soluble compounds in the suspended solids that slowly come into solution. So if you let an unfiltered sample sit around, the TDS will increase slightly.

Bob_McBob Said:

I've never used my refractometer for espresso, which is something I should probably change, especially considering I ordered it with espresso filters.

I'm sort of the opposite, I've used it 99% of the time for espresso. I find it endlessly fascinating how grind, preinfusion, shot volume, baskets, different coffees, different grinders, etc, affect extraction yield and, of course, flavor. I also find it unfortunate that some of the "golden tongue" pundits reject the technology without giving it a fair trial. There are so many things that refractometry can clearly objectify: when a grinder is out of alignment, when burrs are defective, when a roaster screwed up a batch (even though the previous lot was fine), differences between dark and light roasts, differences between baskets, etc. Of course taste is paramount, but there are numerous instances where people posture and prattle with their subjective observations when a few refractometer readings could have helped organize their research and eliminated a lot of unnecessary effort. IMHO.  :-)

Bob_McBob Said:

I've never really liked transferring the coffee to a cup to cool.  It always seems like an added chance of evaporation or other factors like differing initial sample size messing up the reading.  I can get very stable readings putting a few drops directly on the lens well, though I think they tend to be slightly different from pre-cooled coffee.  Going by videos online, it would seem quite a few people use the VST refractometers this way.  I often wonder whether a lot of users follow a strict enough consistent methodology to get repeatable and useful results, though.

I'm not the expert on this, but I believe you will get more accurate readings if the measurements are made with the sample and the prism at the same equilibrium temperature that you used for the refractometer calibration. IOW, zero the refract with distilled water at your current room temperature, cool the sample to room temperature, place it on the room temperature prism, wait a minute or so for the sample and prism to equilibrate, then read.

Bob_McBob Said:

I am interested to know how you are supposed to determine the water loss ratio when brewing coffee.  The 2.0g/g figure is a reasonable average, but a range of 1.6-2.4g/g affects the TDS reading by +/- 0.5% TDS.  Factors like whether you rinse the filter and squeeze it after brewing pourover, and extremes of grind setting like Turkish powder or coarse boulders certainly seem to affect the WLR.  It mostly comes up for me when doing cold brew experiments.  Last time I mentioned this on HB, I was kind of brushed off without a useful answer.

If it was me that brushed you off, I apologize.

In my mind, the "retained water factor" is a convenience or a workaround for people who can't measure (or don't wish to measure) the final beverage mass. For best results it is safer to measure beverage mass, thereby eliminating the uncertainty that you mention above.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 6:44am

Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 11:01am

showing page 13 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.362188100815)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+