Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
coffee refractometer
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 16 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
gcrest01

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: stumptown, metropoliscoffee,...
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 3:51pm
Subject: Re: coffee refractometer

Removed.
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 7:13pm

gcrest01 Said:

What do you think would be the closest to coffee.

Posted December 7, 2012 link

Coffee would be closest.  Seriously

The VST folks are very sensitive about using VST proprietary information (such as the contents of the patent document) for publicly posting theories or suggestions on ways to circumvent or copy the VST product and/or methods.  The patent is public, and still protected IP.  

Here's a recent conversation that references the sort of meter you're looking at.  CLICK for LINK  
It seems that the consensus is that VST is worth the extra pennies.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RandallSluder
RandallSluder
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 10:37pm

The VST folks are very sensitive about using VST proprietary information (such as the contents of the patent document) for publicly posting theories or suggestions on ways to circumvent or copy the VST product and/or methods.  The patent is public, and still protected IP.  

The folks at VST may be sensitive types, but information disclosed in a patent is not proprietary.  The word patent itself is from the Latin meaning open or accessible.  For information to be proprietary, it must be kept secret or confidential in some way.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 7:46am

RandallSluder Said:

The folks at VST may be sensitive types, but information disclosed in a patent is not proprietary.

Posted December 7, 2012 link

I'm not going to debate patent law with you, except to say that you seem to be misinformed.  
Patented material is still protected, even after it is disclosed for us to read.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
RandallSluder
RandallSluder

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 10:26am

I'm not going to debate patent law with you.

Me neither.

Patented material is still protected, even after it is disclosed for us to read.

While US law gives patent owners certain rights and remedies, my point is simply that the information disclosed in VST's patent, in any patent, can not be "proprietary information", another term for "trade secrets".

VST may in fact have some trade secrets but the equation and coefficients gcrest01 references are not among them. They are stated explicitly in VST's US Patent 8239144 (http://www.google.com/patents/US8239144), and as far as I know, you and gcrest01 and I are free to discuss their validity, applicability, verisimilitude, or anything else about them without prior restraint.

Randall
gcrest01

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: stumptown, metropoliscoffee,...
Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 12:33pm

I don't want to get anyone in trouble for any legal issues that I'm not qualified to judge especially in my first post on this forum.

I've just had a simple question can anyone estimate how much off will I be in the Refractive Index measurement if the Temp. Comp. Basis is: Sucrose where as the actual fluid is coffee.

I did ask the manufacturer (MISCO) if I can use the PA202 on the coffee and they said yes. I was told that I can use the PA202 to get the baseline on coffee.

All I really need to have is some kind of  number that I can refer to get the consistency in my coffee made in Chemex and my espresso. However I want this number to be precise and repeatable.

Once I get the taste that I like I can remember the refractive index and use it as a reference.
Also that way I can experiment with the brewing variables ( water temperature, grind, dose, basket selection, tamp...etc) to get various tastes and see how it relates to the refractive index. That way I can associate tastes with the refractive index. I like measurable output parameters.

I think sensitivity wise the PA202 model http://www.misco.com/products/PA202.html will be enough for be for regular coffee and espresso.
Obviously I need some kind of paper filter to filter the espresso before taking the measurement.

The reason for me is simple $425 fits my budget much easier than $599 for VST LAB Coffee II Coffee & Espresso refractometer.
Alternatively I can get the VST Standard Coffee/Espresso Refractometer for $399 but I'm afraid that it will not be sensitive enough for the regular coffee and repeatable( it only takes a single measurement ) instead of averaging a 30 measurements.

Please let me know your thoughts and if you see anything wrong with my idea.
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 7:19pm

gcrest01 Said:

All I really need to have is some kind of  number that I can refer to get the consistency in my coffee made in Chemex and my espresso. However I want this number to be precise and repeatable.

Once I get the taste that I like I can remember the refractive index and use it as a reference.
Also that way I can experiment with the brewing variables ( water temperature, grind, dose, basket selection, tamp...etc) to get various tastes and see how it relates to the refractive index. That way I can associate tastes with the refractive index.

Posted December 8, 2012 link

The reality of coffee is way more complicated than this.

Coffee strength is correlated to refractive index and temperature.

Coffee taste is correlated with numerous factors, including strength, temperature, and (crucially) extraction yield, which is the fraction of the original dry grounds that are extracted into your cup.

Extraction yield is typically calculated after weighing the dose, weighing the brew water (or beverage amount), and accurately measuring the beverage strength. You cannot simply measure refractive index and expect it to correlate to taste, particularly as you experiment with the standard brewing variables.

gcrest01 Said:

I think sensitivity wise the PA202 model http://www.misco.com/products/PA202.html will be enough for be for regular coffee and espresso.
Obviously I need some kind of paper filter to filter the espresso before taking the measurement.

The reason for me is simple $425 fits my budget much easier than $599 for VST LAB Coffee II Coffee & Espresso refractometer.
Alternatively I can get the VST Standard Coffee/Espresso Refractometer for $399 but I'm afraid that it will not be sensitive enough for the regular coffee and repeatable( it only takes a single measurement ) instead of averaging a 30 measurements.

Paper filters produce inconsistent results with espresso. The quantity is very small, the concentrated liquid passes through the filter slowly, and significant evaporation occurs. Unfortunately the recommended syringe filters are expensive, but they give accurate results.

IMO the $599 VST LAB II is a much better value for you than the $425 PA202. A huge amount of work and expense went into developing both the software and hardware.  It will likely be more accurate and repeatable than anything you can develop on your own. If money is tight the VST Standard works fine, but I've used both and the LAB is a big step up in usability and (presumably) accuracy.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
RandallSluder
RandallSluder

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 9:30pm

I would generally second what Andy says.  It's important to be able to measure coffee strength when you're dialling in a brewer or brewing system, but even if you get the strength and extraction "right" for the Golden Cup or one of the European standards, the beverage may still not taste "right".  If you can get up to Boston in the spring for the SCAA convention, take the brewing lab class.  One of the demonstrations they do (or at least used to do) is systematically changing the brew parameters one at a time: coffee-to-water ratio, contact time, brew water temp, fineness of the grind.  Or try it yourself.

A coffee strength meter is just a tool, like a thermometer or a scale.  Before spending hundreds on a refractometer, I would suggest getting a $30 TDS meter and some calibration solution, and experimenting with your Chemex.

A TDS meter won't work with espresso but then I'm old-fashioned and think that you can dial in espresso with only a scale to measure the shot and beverage weights, and simply tasting the shots.  I suspect the espresso aficionados will disagree, but I think setting up a commercial drip brewer is much more difficult than an espresso machine.

If you do spring for a refractometer, I would go with the VST product, but just the coffee-only LAB model and that will save you $100.

- Randall
GlennV

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 5:13am

gcrest01 Said:

Please let me know your thoughts and if you see anything wrong with my idea.

I agree with the other posters that it really doesn't make sense to get anything other than a proper coffee refractometer. The instrument you reference is stated to have a resolution of 0.1Brix or 0.0001nD so, even if it were perfectly accurate and repeatable, and even if there were no added error due to the incorrect temperature compensation for sucrose instead of coffee being used, it can never possibly display coffee %TDS in better than 0.06% increments. Adding in the minimum practical errors in accuracy and repeatability of 0.06% TDS, you could easily be off the mark by 0.12%TDS even without the temperature correction issue. Both the standard and lab VST units give you roughly an extra decimal place, reading coffee %TDS to 0.01%, and this is not just noise. As I understand it, significant improvements were made to both the hardware and firmware which justify this. I've not used the standard refractometer, but can vouch for the fact that my Lab II Coffee & Espresso refractometer meets (and usually exceeds) its claimed typical precision of +/- 0.02%TDS coffee (this is equivalent to approximately  +/- 0.00003 nD). In fact, if successive readings on brewed coffee fluctuate  more than 0.01%TDS  then I take this as a signal that either the sample and refractometer have not yet reached thermal equilibrium or the sample has not been filtered well enough. The claimed real life typical precision of the standard VST refractometer (+/- 0.06%TDS coffee) is already equivalent to better than that 0.1Brix, and roughly equivalent to 0.0001nD. I think most people find that it does even better than this in practice. This has to be a better bet than the Brix unit you refer to, even without the issue of how to implement a coffee scale without infringing on the VST patent.

This is what 0.02g (approx) of granulated sugar looks like on a teaspoon. This, in 100ml of water, is about 0.02Brix. I compared this with another glass of 100ml water without the sugar, and it was easy to pick out the one with the sugar using the Lab II unit. I did it as a blind test, to keep me honest, but needn't have bothered - the difference was absolutely clear. It really is a remarkable instrument and (I know this sounds ridiculous, but) a delight to use.  I couldn't taste the difference between the two glasses. It's worth contacting Vince at VST to check what current offers they have and whether they have any reconditioned units for sale.

GlennV: Untitled 2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 12:54pm

showing page 16 of 17 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319279909134)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+