Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
What is Gort?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > What is Gort?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
Author Messages
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 3:25pm
Subject: Re: What is Gort?

This will be the first automatic drip machine I have ever purchased. So glad I didn't cave in to buying a Technivorm or Bunn. Can't wait!
 View Profile Link to this post
KennyH

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Lelit PL041
Grinder: OE Pharos, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 8 Cup
Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012, 5:22am

I feel like this is going to majorly decrease the Trifecta Home's sales. Not that they offer similar flavor profiles or mouthfeel, but I think that most users seeking control in an automatic machine will go for this instead of the Bunn which is more than two times as much money. It goes without saying that the Technivorms will take a huge hit.

Then again, this is all speculation. It sounds like a fantastic product, but there isn't any way to determine a lot of things until it's actually been released. Hopefully longevity won't be an issue.

Anyway, aside from all of that, I'm definitely going to be picking one of these up. If the PID control is decently precise, it'll make identifying the effect of slight temperature variations very easy for me, which is really the only thing I haven't experimented with.
onthemoors

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012, 8:22am

Have you checked out the pictures posted at GCBC of the brew basket with grounds http://greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=13606.30
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012, 12:08pm

Is there a timeline/relative price-point for arrival of Gort/Brazen in Canada (I assume Green Beanery in Toronto)? I have an older Bunn and an Aeropress and this would be a great replacement for the Bunn. Also, does the brewer brew a minimum of 1 mug (400ml roughly of water) successfully? Being the only coffee drinker in the household that is an important point but when I have company I would look forward to brewing roasts that don't overflow in the basket even when using the correct amount of Costco or freshly roasted (from my dad, via a 1600 of course)...

Thanks for your comments..

Adam
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012, 4:32pm

To the original question, what is gort? Gort: s flat out awesome! Seriously, I have a little "what took  this long for someone to think of this?". But at the same time "pure genius". On the awesomeness scale it goes all the way to eleven! And heck, Joe's awesomeness goes to twelve lol!

After seeing, feeling and tasting gort, there is no doubt its my next piece of coffee equipment ill buy.
Buckley

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 8:26am

This product is completely useless to the likes of me.  It is nice that we control freaks would get to play with yet another precision coffee-making process, but in a household with only one coffee drinker it uses way too much expensive coffee to be useful.  Joe has already gone on record as saying that the results optimize at four cups (if I understand correctly).  I have empathy for the need to design products that have the widest market appeal, but I cannot help thinking that there is also a market for the improved automation of pourover quality and quantities of brewed coffee.  Perhaps the 'Brazen II' or its inspirations will incorporate design discoveries that 'optimize' over a wider range of volumes, hopefully smaller.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 10:21am

Buckley Said:

This product is completely useless to the likes of me.  It is nice that we control freaks would get to play with yet another precision coffee-making process, but in a household with only one coffee drinker it uses way too much expensive coffee to be useful.  Joe has already gone on record as saying that the results optimize at four cups (if I understand correctly).  I have empathy for the need to design products that have the widest market appeal, but I cannot help thinking that there is also a market for the improved automation of pourover quality and quantities of brewed coffee.  Perhaps the 'Brazen II' or its inspirations will incorporate design discoveries that 'optimize' over a wider range of volumes, hopefully smaller.

Posted June 9, 2012 link

Buckley, you answered your own question.
When I do smaller amounts, say 12oz to 24, it's either Hario or Chemex. MANUAL, I don't need no stinkin' machines! LOL

However, for the MAJORITY of those that must do 40z, this gives US the ability to mimic our hand pours, thus providing pretty much the same quality in the cup.
Thus, again for those of us who do both manual and drip machine brewing, it now becomes the best of both worlds.
And, I might even give the Brazen a go at 24oz...about 3 large mugs of black gold.
If it measures up (pun intended) to the Chemex in quality (allowing for slight differences in taste profile) then a double winner.

Time, and many OWNERS, not speculation will be the watchword.

Joe is apparently working feverishly to make the Brazen a reality ASAP.
Knowing Joe as I do (I beta tested the Behmor)...but not this brewer...he is triple checking everything...then checking it again.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Buckley

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 12:11pm

Buckley Said:

but I cannot help thinking that there is also a market for the improved automation of pourover quality and quantities of brewed coffee.

Posted June 9, 2012 link

What prompted my post is this morning I would like one of my pourovers but I am too lazy to stand over the Hario for 2-3 minutes, balancing my Hario pot.  At times like this I would push a button, if there was good brew at the other end.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 1:48pm

Buckley Said:

What prompted my post is this morning I would like one of my pourovers but I am too lazy to stand over the Hario for 2-3 minutes, balancing my Hario pot.  At times like this I would push a button, if there was good brew at the other end.

Posted June 9, 2012 link

Gotcha. There will be several, I'm sure who will be doing 20oz brew cycles, (as I would) to see compare results with our 20 oz Chemex, etc.
I don't expect exact taste profiles, but the with the Brazen's programability, I'm expecting VERY pleasing results, with it's OWN profile.

BTW, A hario 2 cupper on top of their 600ml or 800ml glass pot works beautifully.
I can do about 450ml of coffee. The 800 was on sale...overkill.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 4:43am

Behmor Brazen is up for pre-order!

Same vendors that sell the Behmor roaster, just a heads up. My pre-order went in last night, now the wait. My guess is the inventor (Joe) will follow and partipate in the discussions online.
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > What is Gort?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290652990341)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+