Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Cheaper than Intelligentsia house blend?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Cheaper than...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
cypherpunks

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012, 8:14pm
Subject: Cheaper than Intelligentsia house blend?

This is a small office coffee group, so it has to satisfy multiple people; I'm looking for something fairly mainstream and inoffensive.

After years of Maxwell House pre-ground, I introduced whole beans, then a burr grinder, and have been working on better beans.  The consensus appears to be that Dunkin Donuts original blend is "not bad" and Intelligentsia house blend has received rave reviews.

Unfortunately, it's $48.64/kg = $22/lb shipped to the southeastern U.S., and that's causing some dissent.  DD at $10/lb ($7.49/12 oz), is less than half the price.  And we can't use larger quantities in 2 weeks or so.  But it's not cheap, and paying for shipping 24 times a year doesn't help.

Unfortunately, we're in a small town without any decent local options.  Counter Culture is a lot closer, but they're much more espresso-oriented, and I'm having a hard time picking out some of their drip coffees.  Iron Brew?  Anything else I should be looking into?

Ultimately, it comes down to order some and try it, but I wondered if people have any economical roasters they'd like to recommend to improve the odds of success.

Thank you all!
 View Profile Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012, 10:11pm
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Intelligentsia house blend?

can i ask where you're located?
shawndo
shawndo
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: LM Shot Brewer
Grinder: VL M3/Compak K10 Pro
Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012, 11:11pm

Check out the list here and see what's closer to you

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
cypherpunks

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 1:17am

]

shawndo Said:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Posted April 15, 2012 link

Thanks for the link!  I wouldn't have thought of home-barista.com as a reference for drip coffee.  Unfortunately, the southeast looks like a wasteland.  The vast majority are west coast, then central U.S. and northeast.  Southeast, the only ones mentioned are Counter Culture and Muddy Dog.  Next closest are two in Pennsylvania (Caffè Fresco and Len's Espresso Blends) and Texas (Cuvée and Dodd).

I'm also still interested in recommendations!
steven_meyer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 5:10am

Redbird has free shipping for 5lb bags.

http://redbirdcoffee.com/
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 5:14am

I'm going to say something sacrilegious. You might try looking for a decent second tier roaster to see if you can find a happy medium. Aroma Ridge is in the South East. They roast when they send, are much less expensive and well, you will tell the difference. They will be fresher than store bought DD, so that might make a difference.

Like most tier two shops they have a ton of choices. Read the description and try a couple, if it doesn't work, it's not 22$/12 ounces for most of their stuff. I used to use it a lot for work for the very reason you state.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 6:18am

You might want to look into a freezer, a very good option is to buy in bulk, 5#, and then divide into apx 1lb bags then freeze. You get the volume discount and you save on shipping.

In a worst case, you could have the coffee sent to you, then you could divide and freeze at home and bring in a bag o beans when you run low in the office.

Just a thought.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cypherpunks

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 6:54am

steven_meyer Said:

Redbird has free shipping for 5lb bags.

Posted April 16, 2012 link

Er, yes, but they don't have any good coffee.  That is to say, their only year-round drip blend is their "Blackbird Blend", which we tried and was voted over-roasted.  (It wasn't "straight in the trash" bad, but "definitely don't buy again".)

Plus, we go through 1 lb a week or a little more; buying that much at once would mean drinking 4 week old roast. :-(

cerridwyn Said:

I'm going to say something sacrilegious. You might try looking for a decent second tier roaster to see if you can find a happy medium.

Er... what sacrilegious about that?  Isn't that basically what I was asking for?  Similar flavor, slightly lower quality, much lower price?

Aroma Ridge is in the South East. They roast when they send, are much less expensive and well, you will tell the difference. They will be fresher than store bought DD, so that might make a difference.

Thanks for the tip.  Their shipping is $7.50 minimum (that seems fixed for UPS ground; I asked their web site for 2000 lb and it returns the same number!), which adds to the cost.

Like most tier two shops they have a ton of choices. Read the description and try a couple

This is a problem.  Too many choices!  I'm asking for some recommendations for roasts/blends, not just roasters.  Also, there's skill in keeping a blend consistent over the year, as available beans fluctuate, and I don't know who's good at it.
cypherpunks

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 6:58am

calblacksmith Said:

You might want to look into a freezer, a very good option is to buy in bulk, 5#, and then divide into apx 1lb bags then freeze. You get the volume discount and you save on shipping.

We have a freezer.  But does this work?  I've seen it mentioned a lot, but usually right next to discussions of the merits of vacuum-packed pre-ground, so I haven't believed it.

Edit: Found the discussion.  Reading now... it seems many people say this works, but some people disagree.
johnnyb3

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 9:44am

We have a freezer.  But does this work?  I've seen it mentioned a lot, but usually right next to discussions of the merits of vacuum-packed pre-ground, so I haven't believed it.

Edit: Found the discussion.  Reading now... it seems many people say this works, but some people disagree.

I really think you should try this for yourself. I am (and I think a lot of us here are) in a similar boat, trying to optimize taste given a certain price point. I find that the deleterious effects of freezing are quite minor -- hardly noticeable to me -- compared to the sacrifice in quality between what you can get for, say, $60 for 5 pounds vs. what you can get for $12 for a pound at a time. I think the same might be true for four-week-old high-quality coffee even if you don't freeze.

Redbird is hit-or-miss for me, but their SO offerings are not all overroasted. They are nice folks to work with, too, so you could probably fire off an email to 'em and they'd make suggestions given your preferences.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Cheaper than...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300456047058)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+