Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Cheaper than Intelligentsia house blend?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Cheaper than...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 11:46am
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Intelligentsia house blend?

We have a freezer.  But does this work?  I've seen it mentioned a lot, but usually right next to discussions of the merits of vacuum-packed pre-ground, so I haven't believed it.

Edit: Found the discussion.  Reading now... it seems many people say this works, but some people disagree.

I might suggest that it won't be any more detrimental to flavor than buying a lower quality bean will be. Your tastes are your own though, so I second that you try it out to form your own opinion if you're curious - I have great results with mason jars in a regular top-door freezer.

Counter Culture, mind, has plenty of offerings that are not espresso, and my experience with them has been quite good all around. Are you looking for blends exclusively, or are single origins alright?

Blends: I quite enjoyed their Mocha Java blend, very smooth and quaffable. My brother had some of their Farmhouse (which changes seasonally) and liked it, but it may be fairly different today.

Single Origins: Can't go wrong with Aida's El Salvador coffees, from Finca Kilimanjaro or Finca Mauritania (neither are in season quite yet though). It would be worth watching for Africans as well, as while their site doesn't seem to have anything up, I can't imagine they'll take much longer to go out. I've had more than a few good Ethiopians, Burundis, and Kenyans this year already, and I'd expect CC to pick equally tasty lots.

Price, though, that's the rub isn't it? I've always considered Intelly to be good value for the price, though I rarely buy them (their shipping price is awful). I tend to think of it in terms of per cup price, rather than per pound, as a lot of commercial roasters manage to cut costs via larger volume buys of lower quality lots, supply chain optimization, a willingness to sell fairly stale beans, and so on. A pound of coffee should yield around 7.5 L, or over thirty 8 oz. cups, of brewed coffee (based on 60g/L brew ratio), with little grounds waste. That's $0.73 per cup - which you certainly can't get at Starbucks, and may only be able to match at a gas station.

And please, check my math here, I'm a graphic designer after all. 16 oz. = ~450g / 60 = 7.5 L = ~250 fl oz. / 8 = ~30 (a full pound should actually yield more, I rounded down a few times here)
$22 / 30 = .73
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 5:58pm

It's all in what people like and are willing to pay for. I use better coffee at home than at work because, simply, most people say that can't tell the difference and don't want to pay for it. Now, they like tier 2 stuff better than store bought, but won't go the extra mile for the tier 3 goodies. And we have a local supplier, no shipping, but it is still more than they want to cough up.

At Aroma Ridge, if you like darker, I used the Yemen that they had a lot, never did blends. Not my thing. If you are on their mailing list, you get discounts or free shipping all the time.

Another thought is there is a guy on eBay, I forget what his name is, he does an Arabian Mocha Matrari that's not bad and you can buy 2 lbs. He is in LA though. Prices are pretty fair, I think it's about 30 with shipping for 2 lbs, which is better than intelli. It's what we use in the Jura at work for the crowd. You can buy it from his website, but then you can only buy 5lbs which is cheaper. But more than you said you wanted.

Freezing works. What I do is slit the bag, put the jar in the bag and put a rubber band around it. That way I know what is in the jar.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 6:21pm

cerridwyn Said:

Another thought is there is a guy on eBay, I forget what his name is, he does an Arabian Mocha Matrari that's not bad and you can buy 2 lbs. He is in LA though. Prices are pretty fair, I think it's about 30 with shipping for 2 lbs, which is better than intelli. It's what we use in the Jura at work for the crowd. You can buy it from his website, but then you can only buy 5lbs which is cheaper. But more than you said you wanted.

Posted April 16, 2012 link

Click Here (stores.ebay.com)

http://www.americastastecoffee.com/

i have too much free time at work.  :\
 View Profile Link to this post
cypherpunks

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 9:57am

](What causes this dangling right bracket?  It's definitely not in what I've typed.)

cerridwyn Said:

Another thought is there is a guy on eBay, I forget what his name is, he does an Arabian Mocha Matrari that's not bad and you can buy 2 lbs. He is in LA though. Prices are pretty fair, I think it's about 30 with shipping for 2 lbs, which is better than intelli. It's what we use in the Jura at work for the crowd.

Thank you for recommending a specific coffee!  That's his arabian mocha sanani, right?

frank828 Said:

Click Here (stores.ebay.com)

http://www.americastastecoffee.com/

i have too much free time at work.  :\

And thank you for tracking this down.  Very helpful!  (And he has 2 lb lots on his web site.)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 10:24am

Does a freezer work?
Well, I have been doing it for years and have no taste issues when done properly. Perhaps you are a SUPER taster and can taste things I can't but it works for me and I have nothing but compliments on my coffee at home... even the STALE (older than 3 weeks for drip) at work YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
pogo
pogo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Kitchen Aid
Vac Pot: Cory Gasketless
Drip: Bunn BXB, modified
Roaster: Propane fired 1lb rotary...
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 2:58am

A great choice would be " Blue Smoke" coffee roaster out of Gatlinburg, Tn. They have great coffee and free shipping if you buy two bags. Kevin roasts his coffee a pound at a time and all his blends are delicious.
jaypunkrawk

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: Frieling press, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 8:52pm

There are plenty of good roasters that would gladly hook you guys up for cheaper than that.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 7:51am

cypherpunks Said:

(What causes this dangling right bracket?  It's definitely not in what I've typed.)

Thank you for recommending a specific coffee!  That's his arabian mocha sanani, right?

And thank you for tracking this down.  Very helpful!  (And he has 2 lb lots on his web site.)

Posted April 17, 2012 link

Yes, people at work really like it.

I find it drinkable and not too bad, not as good as third wave coffee, but I can manage it in the morning.

I don't know if eBay or the store is less expensive. Whatever works best at the time.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 9:33am

I actually like DD whole bean in a drip pot - after all, their roaster has worked hard to make it smooth and acceptable to the masses, as well as hold up with cream.

But going the fresh roasted route doesn't have to cost $22/lb. Most recently I bought a "Woot.com" sale of 4lbs coffee from "1000 Faces" in Georgia. I'm not going to personally recommend it for drip since I'm making espresso, but they had several roast options and are in the southeast. And I saw an advertisement for a brand (sorry my mind went blank) offering a coffee club environment - you got free shipping if you were on a month-by-month shipment.

FWIW, I haven't had issues using a Foodsaver bag and freezing my coffee for a few weeks. The sooner after roast date you freeze it, the better though.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 9:53am

Verve has free shipping and is phenomenal. And their House blend is $14 for 12oz. Check that out. I have had nothing but amazing experiences with Verve. Not only is their coffee delicious, fresh, roasted to perfection, and shipped to me free, but any time I've ever had even the smallest issue or question, Jenni Baca has responded to my email promptly with over-the-top accommodations.

Here's the link:

http://www.vervecoffeeroasters.com/collections/coffee

-Dave-
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Cheaper than...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300686836243)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+