Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Fun Coffee Geek Tricks and Things to Try
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Fun Coffee Geek...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 9:38am
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 4:48pm
Subject: Re: Fun Coffee Geek Tricks and Things to Try

Netphilosopher Said:

-Prove that the gas during off-gassing of freshly roasted coffee is inert (CO2).  Roast some coffee, put it in a ziploc vacuum bag immediately after roasting and evacuate the package.  Allow it to off-gas to the point where the bag is obviously bulging.  

Then, light a candle.  CAREFULLY open the bag and try not to pull any air into the bag, just gently open it.  "Pour" the air that is in the bag onto the candle and watch what happens.  

By inference, it is CO2.  The CO2 molecule has an atomic weight of 44.  O2 is 32, N2 is 28 (basically, air is 21% O2, 78% N2).

Posted February 28, 2012 link

Better to find one of those plastic bags with a tube and valve, like the things the ISS crew drink from. That'll give more control over the gas, at least!

emradguy Said:

interesting approach.  Beers made with coffee typically have the coffee added after the mash, not during.  I'd probably be up for tasting one if it were done this way, but I wouldn't expect it to be very drinkable, given the coffee would be WAAAAY over-extracted.

Posted February 24, 2012 link

You're correct, and this is why I think all coffee beers taste like crap. To me, the coffee component tastes as if it were taken from an office pot that had sat on a burner for at least a day. Devoid of good aromatics, and a taste that screams "stale." My thought was "Why treat the coffee like coffee, then, if the result ruins what's good about coffee?"

Not sure if you're familiar with roasting at all, but 325 F is long enough to get the beans to expand a bit, and for Maillard reactions to enhance the sweetness of the bean, but this is still about 50 F off of first crack, and you'd have to be crazy to drink it as coffee. The resulting cup is grain-like and a bit sweet, but with no real bitterness to speak of (even after 10 minutes, cupping-style), and with more acidic coffees (East Africans), a bit of their fruity nature comes through. I'm currently looking for Kenyas or dry-processed Africans to test out, and as soon as my brother is ready (probably Easter), I'll be leaving him with a few pounds of test roasts to use for beer. I started a thread last year when we first intended to try this, but he got a bit sidetracked by his Grodziskie and some other experiments. So this year I'm trying to hammer the idea into his noggin!

I know Mikkeller brewery in Denmark was a bit interested (over Twitter) in the product, as they brew a coffee IPA with Koppi coffee, so I was a bit bummed that it didn't pan out. We were going for a pilsner, I believe, to let the coffee assert itself a bit more. I'm honestly just interested in seeing what the coffee produces in terms of flavor and fermentation, as it's going to be denser than most grains, and has a totally different sugar content.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 5:10pm

I'm still planning on making iced coffee by brewing hot into dry ice.  I saw a video for this once and it looked like a pretty fun experiment, and I believe it will come out a bit like a coffee soda from the CO2.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
penrod

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PV lusso; gaggia coffee
Grinder: Macap MXK-R, virtuoso
Vac Pot: yama
Drip: swiss gold
Roaster: behmor
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 5:31pm

I have made espresso stouts by adding brewed espresso right before bottling.  By varying the amount of espresso and the origin of the beans, it was pretty evident that some varietal flavor was preserved.  Also added a healthy dose of flaked oats to the mash to help with head retention.  

I added between 3 and 6 doubles per gallon of beer, but they were fairly low volume brewed on a ponte vecchio.
jesseeckel
jesseeckel

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012, 1:17pm

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the tips!
thedotben
thedotben
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012, 2:29pm

Brew coffee with coffee. Ex: Make a slightly weaker French Press, and when complete, pour the coffee through a chemex or pour over with again, slightly less grounds. Use two different types of coffee to create "blends."
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 7:56pm

Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 8:00pm

TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 6:00pm

-Get one of those popsicle maker ice cube tray thingies, and make...coffsicles! It's summer, you know...
666madmonk

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 11:53am

Pull 10 shot of Robusta, evaporate to one-fourth volume under gentle heat, add a few tablespoons of sugar, and just TRY to close your eyes! :)
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Fun Coffee Geek...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275504112244)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+