Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Starbucks Newest Big To Do
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Starbucks Newest...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012, 2:21pm
Subject: .

View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012, 8:56am

Netphilosopher

Posted Sun Feb 26, 2012, 7:58am

tina_daniels

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Jr, HX
Grinder: Lelit  PL53
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Sun Feb 26, 2012, 1:28pm
Subject: Re: Starbucks Newest Big To Do

Netphilosopher Said:

And apparently Starbucks has the same issue as the automotive industry.  There's the manufacturing and delivery of the product, and there's the point of sale.

Many people hate a particular car model because they hated the sales experience - something which an auto manufacturer has no control over.  When a group of dealers decide they will place a +$5K premium on a new hot model, there is little that the manufacturer can say about it.  They can do some post-damage control, but that's about it.

I went to a *$s this morning, and of course there was no blonde in the brewer, just Pike Place and Caffe Verona (holy SMOKE festival!).  I asked if they would do a press pot of Willow - nope, they only had Veranda and they would only do a pourover.

No press pot?  Nope.  

There's 30 lbs of Willow out here, I see you have a Ditting, can't you grind some up?  No, I'm sorry.  We only have Veranda ground.

Okay, gimme a tall Veranda, black, no room for cream.

Three different PBTC asked me if I wanted room for cream.  I said no three different times in three different languages, just for fun.

Watched them pull water from their spout on the brewer, the spout is at the top and their measuring cup was about 3 feet drop.  Oh well...

Then I was looking at something else, and 3 minutes later grabbed my cup of Blonde Roast Veranda Blend... the first sip was essence of brown water with an overlay of wet cardboard, a hint of coffee.  I damn near spit it out.  

ME: this is awful!

PBTC: Yeah, most people don't like the Blonde Roast, I think that they'll end up discontinuing it.

ME: <insert scowl here>  Well, maybe if you brewed it properly?

PBTC: Well, sir, I did, but I'll remake it if you want.

ME:  Yeah, let's do that.

Then I watched PBTC pull this measuring cup of water from the 3 foot drop.  When it was full, I asked to see the water in the measuring cup.

PBTC:  Why?

ME:  Cause I want to see if it's hot.

PBTC:  It's hot, sir.

ME:  Indulge me.  

PBTC:  I can't, it's against health regulations.

ME:  HUH?  Then stick a thermometer in it.

PBTC:  Oh, I guess I could...  (by now he's getting a bit annoyed)   PBTC2!  Where's the thermometer?

PBTC2:  I'll get it, why do you need it?

(getting kinda abbot and costello here by now).

ME: listen, I just want to see what the temp is, it's been a minute, so dump that water out, pour some more, your buddy will have the thermometer by then, but I can tell you what the temp is just by touch.

PBTC:  Okay.

Watch him pour the water, offer the measuring cup to me.  I touch it, then dip my finger in it for a half count.  

ME:  It's about 180F.  You do know that pourovers should be in the 200F range, right?

PBTC:  Oh, I just pulled it from the spout, it's that temperature.

PBTC2:  Here's the thermometer.

ME:  It will be about 175F now.

PBTC:  (sticks the thermometer in, pulls it out, sticks it in, pulls it out)  This thermometer isn't reading right.

ME:  Why?

PBTC: because it says 168F, and I know it's hotter than that.

ME:  Gotta microwave?

PBTC: yeah.

ME:  well, boil it and check the thermometer.

PBTC:  I'll just heat it for a bit and make your pourover, sir.

ME:  I'd like the water just off boil.

PBTC:  I'll have your pourover in a minute.  (proceeds to microwave it for 30 seconds, then I watch his pourover technique -  put cup underneath, dump coffee into filter, dump water into pourover, help someone else.  3 minutes later, he calls out a Tall Verona)

ME:  (after sampling), Um, I'd really like you to taste this.  Cause you're not brewing it right.  You ever brew it in the big brewers?

PBTC: (now very annoyed with me)  No, because we tried it out with pourovers first, and everyone hates this stuff!  You're the only one to ask for it this morning, all the regulars agree it tastes really weak and crappy.  Don't you agree?

ME:  Well, when I brew it properly, it's better than anything else you have.  Hell, Caribou does a better job than you guys for pourovers.

PBTC:  Well, we're following all of the guidelines.

ME:  Really?  Taste this.

PBTC:  I know how the Blonde tastes, I don't need to taste it.

ME:  Ok, please remake it again, this time, I want it made with boiling water, and I'd like the pour to be at least 30 seconds long, not just dumping it into the cone.

PBTC:  <sigh>  Ok, but it won't make a difference.

ME:  I've already paid for the coffee, here's an extra buck tip, all I ask is you make enough for a grande, and pour off a bit so you can sample it properly brewed.  Trust me.

PBTC:  What, are you from Corporate or something?

ME:  <silent grin>

Needless to say, the third time's a charm.  As I watched his eyes light up upon tasting the sample, I feel I may have made the world just a touch better by being a fussy customer and maybe enlightening someone else that there's more to coffee than Vienna roast and creosote.  I actually took a few minutes to talk to all three of the PBTC - many of the places in the area did the samples and intro the same exact way, with pourovers, giving away samples, etc.  

I advised that they might want to brew a decent batch in the full brewer - it's got much better control over the temp and they're actually really decent brewers, assuming the system isn't short cycled (i.e. the water is hot enough for the next big pot).  Sadly, because of many bad reviews of the original samples, they can't justify using up a full pot of either of the Blonde roasts.

I asked if they ever thought of preheating the pourover.  No, they weren't told that it needed to be done.  

For want of a good brew technique, a good product may be lost.

(Full disclosure:  I do not work for *$s, and I did tell them so... afterward)

Posted February 25, 2012 link

Oh my goodness.  I think you're my new hero. I love this!!
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 6:36pm

tina_daniels Said:

Oh my goodness.  I think you're my new hero. I love this!!

Posted February 26, 2012 link

Mine too, it's a great story,

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kimberlybosgat
kimberlybosgat
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 2:39am

Starbucks is really the good place for people to relax, but where is the biggest market for the Starbucks?
which country? and waht kind of ingredients that can be taken in the coffee
kayes
kayes
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 2:45pm

I've tried their 'blond' brew at the store and press and pour-over at home. Their brew in the store is not very good and lacks body and complexity. The brews I did at home using their Veranda Blend were actually pretty good. It had a pleasant acidity (and I normally dislike tangy coffee) and a nice round body with toasty/chocolatey flavours. These two new blends really require a coffee press or a pour-over to be drinkable.

My name is Kayes, and I'm obsessed with coffee.
kayes
kayes

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 2:55pm

Netphilosopher Said:

And apparently Starbucks has the same issue as the automotive industry.  There's the manufacturing and delivery of the product, and there's the point of sale.

Many people hate a particular car model because they hated the sales experience - something which an auto manufacturer has no control over.  When a group of dealers decide they will place a +$5K premium on a new hot model, there is little that the manufacturer can say about it.  They can do some post-damage control, but that's about it.

I went to a *$s this morning, and of course there was no blonde in the brewer, just Pike Place and Caffe Verona (holy SMOKE festival!).  I asked if they would do a press pot of Willow - nope, they only had Veranda and they would only do a pourover.

No press pot?  Nope.  

There's 30 lbs of Willow out here, I see you have a Ditting, can't you grind some up?  No, I'm sorry.  We only have Veranda ground.

Okay, gimme a tall Veranda, black, no room for cream.

Three different PBTC asked me if I wanted room for cream.  I said no three different times in three different languages, just for fun.

Watched them pull water from their spout on the brewer, the spout is at the top and their measuring cup was about 3 feet drop.  Oh well...

Then I was looking at something else, and 3 minutes later grabbed my cup of Blonde Roast Veranda Blend... the first sip was essence of brown water with an overlay of wet cardboard, a hint of coffee.  I damn near spit it out.  

ME: this is awful!

PBTC: Yeah, most people don't like the Blonde Roast, I think that they'll end up discontinuing it.

ME: <insert scowl here>  Well, maybe if you brewed it properly?

PBTC: Well, sir, I did, but I'll remake it if you want.

ME:  Yeah, let's do that.

Then I watched PBTC pull this measuring cup of water from the 3 foot drop.  When it was full, I asked to see the water in the measuring cup.

PBTC:  Why?

ME:  Cause I want to see if it's hot.

PBTC:  It's hot, sir.

ME:  Indulge me.  

PBTC:  I can't, it's against health regulations.

ME:  HUH?  Then stick a thermometer in it.

PBTC:  Oh, I guess I could...  (by now he's getting a bit annoyed)   PBTC2!  Where's the thermometer?

PBTC2:  I'll get it, why do you need it?

(getting kinda abbot and costello here by now).

ME: listen, I just want to see what the temp is, it's been a minute, so dump that water out, pour some more, your buddy will have the thermometer by then, but I can tell you what the temp is just by touch.

PBTC:  Okay.

Watch him pour the water, offer the measuring cup to me.  I touch it, then dip my finger in it for a half count.  

ME:  It's about 180F.  You do know that pourovers should be in the 200F range, right?

PBTC:  Oh, I just pulled it from the spout, it's that temperature.

PBTC2:  Here's the thermometer.

ME:  It will be about 175F now.

PBTC:  (sticks the thermometer in, pulls it out, sticks it in, pulls it out)  This thermometer isn't reading right.

ME:  Why?

PBTC: because it says 168F, and I know it's hotter than that.

ME:  Gotta microwave?

PBTC: yeah.

ME:  well, boil it and check the thermometer.

PBTC:  I'll just heat it for a bit and make your pourover, sir.

ME:  I'd like the water just off boil.

PBTC:  I'll have your pourover in a minute.  (proceeds to microwave it for 30 seconds, then I watch his pourover technique -  put cup underneath, dump coffee into filter, dump water into pourover, help someone else.  3 minutes later, he calls out a Tall Verona)

ME:  (after sampling), Um, I'd really like you to taste this.  Cause you're not brewing it right.  You ever brew it in the big brewers?

PBTC: (now very annoyed with me)  No, because we tried it out with pourovers first, and everyone hates this stuff!  You're the only one to ask for it this morning, all the regulars agree it tastes really weak and crappy.  Don't you agree?

ME:  Well, when I brew it properly, it's better than anything else you have.  Hell, Caribou does a better job than you guys for pourovers.

PBTC:  Well, we're following all of the guidelines.

ME:  Really?  Taste this.

PBTC:  I know how the Blonde tastes, I don't need to taste it.

ME:  Ok, please remake it again, this time, I want it made with boiling water, and I'd like the pour to be at least 30 seconds long, not just dumping it into the cone.

PBTC:  <sigh>  Ok, but it won't make a difference.

ME:  I've already paid for the coffee, here's an extra buck tip, all I ask is you make enough for a grande, and pour off a bit so you can sample it properly brewed.  Trust me.

PBTC:  What, are you from Corporate or something?

ME:  <silent grin>

Needless to say, the third time's a charm.  As I watched his eyes light up upon tasting the sample, I feel I may have made the world just a touch better by being a fussy customer and maybe enlightening someone else that there's more to coffee than Vienna roast and creosote.  I actually took a few minutes to talk to all three of the PBTC - many of the places in the area did the samples and intro the same exact way, with pourovers, giving away samples, etc.  

I advised that they might want to brew a decent batch in the full brewer - it's got much better control over the temp and they're actually really decent brewers, assuming the system isn't short cycled (i.e. the water is hot enough for the next big pot).  Sadly, because of many bad reviews of the original samples, they can't justify using up a full pot of either of the Blonde roasts.

I asked if they ever thought of preheating the pourover.  No, they weren't told that it needed to be done.  

For want of a good brew technique, a good product may be lost.

(Full disclosure:  I do not work for *$s, and I did tell them so... afterward)

Posted February 25, 2012 link

The pour-over I got from them the other day was terrible. I watched her make it and I cringed the whole time. I'm actually surprised how poorly trained their staff are now.

My name is Kayes, and I'm obsessed with coffee.
tina_daniels

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Jr, HX
Grinder: Lelit  PL53
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 6:21am

kayes Said:

The pour-over I got from them the other day was terrible. I watched her make it and I cringed the whole time. I'm actually surprised how poorly trained their staff are now.

Posted March 5, 2012 link

I've seen some people poorly trained at other shops too.  I think a lot of it may just be high school kids wanting that cool, barista job  -- then realizing it's not as easy as it looks... or like, at chains, the general populace doesn't want the kind of coffee they want to make... or they have to make other things besides JUST coffee drinks, etc.
markm3

Espresso: UNIC Phoenix R...
Grinder: Bunn GBaratza,  Rossi...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bunn HG, Fetco...
Roaster: Counter Culture and Gimme
Posted Sun Apr 29, 2012, 12:10pm

Nah, not just poorly trained. Pretty sure I spied the Pour Over procedure instructions a while back.  They tell them to pour all the water into the cone at once.

And for some reason I really dislike the Veranda,  has too much of a dry nut flavor or something. Almost tannic to me, yet I find the Willow very enjoyable.

Sad that so many Starbucks employees and customers equate good coffee only with something BOLD (Burnt and Ashy)

I think they just like that word.

Hey my cars got a HEMI and my Coffee is BOLD .....

None of that wimpy  blonde roast for me, I'm scared I might actually taste something other than creosote.
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Starbucks Newest...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.32043504715)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+