Coffee: General Discussion
Victor coffee mugs--Yes!
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Victor coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 6:19am
Subject: Re: Victor coffee mugs--Yes!

coffeefan101 Said:

You stated in the OP that there are no authentic ones made anymore. So does that mean you can't purchase them anymore? I feel like I need to have one now!

Posted September 13, 2011 link

The Victor Insulator Company goes back to 1898. They began making ceramic/porcelain insulation for electrical equipment. Down the road ('40s?) they began making a most impressive coffee mug. They made the mugs, according to what I read, through 1990. There was a change in distributor toward the later years, but I think they were still made in Victor, NY. They were probably best known for their massive mug production for the armed services and later in diners in the '40s, '50s, and '60s.

From what I gather, they are not particularly rare, yet you don't see them often. (I had never seen one--and known what it was--until a month ago.) I've seen some on estate sale websites for a quite high price. More may be found on the "garage sale"-type sites and auction sites.

Lots have been hoarded for eventual sale, and probably more are in thousands of attics, basements, and the deep recesses of musty cupboards. These appear online for sale by--probably the 60-year-old children of the greatest generation who owned the earliest productions of Victor mugs, and who are now steadily passing off the scene.

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 10:10am

I found my "thick mug" (from another thread) made by Victor at a goodwill store for $0.99 YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
coffeefan101

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 5:21pm

lifeandpeace Said:

The Victor Insulator Company goes back to 1898. They began making ceramic/porcelain insulation for electrical equipment. Down the road ('40s?) they began making a most impressive coffee mug. They made the mugs, according to what I read, through 1990. There was a change in distributor toward the later years, but I think they were still made in Victor, NY. They were probably best known for their massive mug production for the armed services and later in diners in the '40s, '50s, and '60s.

From what I gather, they are not particularly rare, yet you don't see them often. (I had never seen one--and known what it was--until a month ago.) I've seen some on estate sale websites for a quite high price. More may be found on the "garage sale"-type sites and auction sites.

Lots have been hoarded for eventual sale, and probably more are in thousands of attics, basements, and the deep recesses of musty cupboards. These appear online for sale by--probably the 60-year-old children of the greatest generation who owned the earliest productions of Victor mugs, and who are now steadily passing off the scene.

Posted September 14, 2011 link

Thanks for your response! Ill look for some online, and just search around.
DenVogel
DenVogel

Espresso: Francis Francis X1
Grinder: Solis Maestro Classic
Drip: Jasper Morrison Rowenta
Posted Wed Sep 14, 2011, 5:48pm

lifeandpeace Said:

The thickness is incomparable, the weight is amazing (1 pound, 4.75 ounces!!). The capacity is perfect for my use (6 ounces with a touch of room, 7 to the absolute rim). They appear almost as large as a typical mug, but because of their thickness, the capacity is what it is.

Posted September 11, 2011 link

FWIW - The mugs sold by a NorCal favorite Ritual Coffee Roasters are quite hefty. Not sure if they're quite the same as a Victor. I do love their logo too.

DenVogel: RitualMug.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
coffeefan101

Posted Sat Sep 17, 2011, 10:56am

DenVogel Said:

FWIW - The mugs sold by a NorCal favorite Ritual Coffee Roasters are quite hefty. Not sure if they're quite the same as a Victor. I do love their logo too.

Sorry this is off topic, but that logo reminded me of the communist sign, lol.

coffeefan101: communism_is_evil.jpg
(Click for larger image)
lschwarcz

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Chemex, Press Pot &...
Roaster: Behmor 1600 & Poppery II
Posted Sat Oct 29, 2011, 9:19am

lifeandpeace Said:

In all my years of coffee enjoyment and discovery, I made one of my more exciting discoveries a couple weeks ago: Victor coffee mugs.

They have an intriguing history (bits and pieces online). Those of you who are a generation (or two) older than I are more likely to know about them. I had an interesting discovery of them while visiting a (vacant) relative's house. From the moment I picked up one of them and then used it, I knew there was something special about them.

The thickness is incomparable, the weight is amazing (1 pound, 4.75 ounces!!). The capacity is perfect for my use (6 ounces with a touch of room, 7 to the absolute rim). They appear almost as large as a typical mug, but because of their thickness, the capacity is what it is.

High-five to those of you who've known for about these incomparable mugs for a long time. And for those of you who, like me, had never heard of these mugs until recently--and you like their parameters--get in on them!

I've found my end-all everyday coffee mugs! Their practicality, weight, thickness, and rich history make them, for me, a really exciting find.

P.S. There are more "victor" imitations than there are authentic ones, which are no longer made. Learn how to distinguish the authentic from the imitators.

Posted September 11, 2011 link

I just did a quick Google search and found what looks like the company still making them!

Victor Mugs

They mention two sizes but only offer one for sale.

Is this the original you were talking about?

Have fun!
Larry.

Blood Donors save lives! It's fast and easy. Find a local center where you can donate.
http://www.redcrossblood.org/
lschwarcz

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Chemex, Press Pot &...
Roaster: Behmor 1600 & Poppery II
Posted Sat Oct 29, 2011, 9:21am

DenVogel Said:

I've never been up to Ritual and home roast for my beans but do you think that Ritual is better than Barefoot in Santa Clara? When I'm out and about and want a cup of coffee I'll stop there for it even if I have to drive out of my way. And, on the off chance I can't roast some for myself I'll only buy beans from them.

Thanks,
Larry.

Blood Donors save lives! It's fast and easy. Find a local center where you can donate.
http://www.redcrossblood.org/
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 11:16am

lschwarcz Said:

I just did a quick Google search and found what looks like the company still making them!

Victor Mugs

They mention two sizes but only offer one for sale.

Is this the original you were talking about?

Have fun!
Larry.

Posted October 29, 2011 link

Thanks, Larry, for posting. Yes, I've perused that site. Nice info. I emailed him some time back about my Victor discovery story. That site is just an informational site about the history. Yes, he does sell them, but they are from acquisitions he picked up some time back. According to what I've read, Victor stopped making the mugs in 1990 (because of an influx of imported cheap imitations). The company, however, still exists and still makes ceramic insulators for electrical facilities.

I'm still enjoying these every day! (Twice, at least, actually. At least one for coffee, and the one with a broken handle for my shave mug!)

www.lampmode.com
goodfoodwarehouse
goodfoodwarehouse

Posted Wed Nov 2, 2011, 4:28am

hey guys,

These mug looking very solid and awesome.Originality showing in pictures.

Duck Creek Macadamias
Macadamia
Macadamia Products
bekeld
bekeld

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Macap 4; Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Aeropress; Sowdon SoftBrew
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Nov 2, 2011, 10:54pm

The mugs look and feel awesome! Just received mine today. Fast and well-packed.
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Victor coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.346028089523)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+