Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Are there any serious decaf espresso drinkers out there?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Are there any...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
joshuamurphy75
joshuamurphy75
Expertise: Professional
Posted Wed May 18, 2011, 12:23pm
Subject: Are there any serious decaf espresso drinkers out there?

I drink coffee because of the flavor, never for the caffeine. I don't have any health problems requiring me to drink decaf, but I have been known to be a workaholic and I could use the extra sleep. I often resort to teas, tisanes, or milk based coffee drinks instead of pure coffee. I am considering switching to decaf, but I hate stale coffee, bad grinding, and inferior decaffeination methods that give decaf a bad rep. Has anybody found a way to fix this problem and still be profitable?
 View Profile Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Wed May 18, 2011, 6:01pm
Subject: Re: Are there any serious decaf espresso drinkers out there?

I don't drink decaff myself, but I have bought it for friends who had to drink it and one of the things I have learned from this is if you have a good top notch Roaster and they make a decaff, the odds are it will be better than normal decaff, just like their regular coffee is better.

A friend in his early 30's has had a heart attack and had to give up caffeine. He was seriously missing the taste of coffee. He told me he couldn't find a decaff that tasted like coffee. When I asked where he was looking, I got he usual bad answers - grocery stores, $tarblechs. I sent him a pound of Intelligensia's Librarians Blend and received worshipful congratulations. We then went and searched the regional forums here for places that might be close enough to him for him to try driving there to taste their coffee and found a couple. None horribly close but worth the drive for the taste test.

He's now happily drinking his tier 2.5-3 decaff.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu May 19, 2011, 8:12am

I find decaf always pales in comparison to regular beans. That being said I get many of my green decaf beans from Sweet Maria's to roast and feel they get a high quality of decaf. For espresso I leave the blends up to the experts since I have never found a SO decaf bean that worked for espresso (I have not looked that hard). Here is a link to SM's green decaf coffee page, you might find the read interesting.   http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.other.decafs.php
lost

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 1:13pm

ya....given your location, I would be trying sweet maria's as suggested
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon May 23, 2011, 10:19am

I home-roast decaf (from Sweet Maria's and others) for family, and occasionally will drink it myself.  Some of the water process decaf is not bad and as the process has improved more and more companies (like Metropolis coffee) will send out their top coffees now to be processed for decaf (like Redline) where before it was mostly lower grade beans being decafinated.

I trust the reviews and cupping notes on the Sweet Maria's site, so if you home-roast, I'd start there.

If you don't, look at the quality focused roasters like the List of Favorite Roasters on Home-Barista for ideas.

I really wish I had switched to Decaf Sunday, as I started early with a siphon and switched to espresso and drank too much caffeine and ended up feeling unwell.  I usually keep a jar or two of home-roasted decaf in the freezer for guests who may stop by.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
andolsa

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 1:45am

I'm not a decaf espresso drinker at all but I do respect those who drink it decaf around me. I understand there're people (quite) sensitive to caffeine at particular times of the day or even during the whole day. To me, drinking decaf is like drinking everything but coffee. I do need to taste the caffeine to get the full experience of my coffee drinking habit. Most of the ppl I meet drink it decaf though......
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 2:55am

Actually, I can't think of a single reason to drink decaf, certainly not health related issues. The notion that coffee is bad for your health is out-dated.

The scientific state of affairs is this: Drinking two, three, four or even more cups of coffe a day has positive effects on numerous internal organs and body functions. There even seems to be a protective or preventative effect in some diseases. In in most cases, there is no reason to stop drinking coffee for medical considerations. However, in individual cases it's advisable to consult your doctor, especially during pregnancy.

This recommentation of the Deutsches Grünes Kreuz is based on up-to-date studies that show, for example, that in contrast to popular belief there seems to be no correlation between high blood pressure and coffee intake, that coffee contains protective antioxidants, and that, in contrast to decaf, it has no negative effect on blood sugar levels or LDL cholesterol. People who regularily drink coffee seem to have a reduced risk of developing renal cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer, bowel cancer and bladder cancer. Scientists involved in an ongoing 22-year research by the Harvard School of Public Health state that "the overall balance of risks and benefits [of coffee consumption] are on the side of benefits". Other medical studies suggest that coffee consumption reduces the risk of being affected by Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, heart disease, diabetes mellitus type II, cirrhosis of the liver, and gout.

So, consumed responsively coffee might even be good for your health.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 3:17am

Norbert, coffee itself may not be bad for you, but there certainly are folks to whom caffeine is a dangerous substance. Think heart conditions, or, even more common, pregnancy. It's like touting the wondrous health benefits of shrimp or mussels - it won't mean much to the guy who's allergic to shellfish. Some people just can't have the regular stuff.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 3:38am

Like the recommendation says, in individual cases it's a good idea to consult your doctor first.

However, most up-to-date cardiologist will probably agree that there are few heart conditions that actually prohibit the consumption of coffee. Caffeine can even have some positive effects on the heart. And as far as pregancy is concerned, I'd like to quote the midievil physician Paracelsus who said: Dosis sola facit venenum. (The dosage alone makes the poison.)

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Sep 12, 2011, 4:22am

NobbyR Said:

Like the recommendation says, in individual cases it's a good idea to consult your doctor first.

However, most up-to-date cardiologist will probably agree that there are few heart conditions that actually prohibit the consumption of coffee. Caffeine can even have some positive effects on the heart. And as far as pregancy is concerned, I'd like to quote the midievil physician Paracelsus who said: Dosis sola facit venenum. (The dosage alone makes the poison.)

Posted September 12, 2011 link

I remember a similar quote - maybe a translation but I am not sure - it says the best medicine is the poison given in the right amount.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Are there any...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277230024338)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+