Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
What is a café crème?
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > What is a café...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 11:24am
Subject: Re: What is a café crème?

might want to look here........ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coffee_beverages

the only thing I can come up with is small whipped cream with a shot of espresso or small coffee. This definition came from  my sister that is a chef at a 5star restaurant. she said alot of cafe's in france will have the name  'petit creme' and is a broad term in the meaning. there is a desert and a cheese that also has the name petit creme.
 View Profile Link to this post
deleted

Expertise:

Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 11:52pm

Cafe Creme, or sometimes called Cafe Crema, is basicly a long pull from the traditional coffee machine (espresso coffee machine).

cannycoffee.com
Heissmeister
Heissmeister

Espresso: Rancilio Epoca
Grinder: Super Jolly w/dosing chamber
Drip: Bunn
Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013, 3:29pm

Morenito Said:

Hi, I know this is a very old thread now, but I'm trying to find out how to make a 'petit creme' as I used to have every day whilst in Paris. I can't find ANY information on the net.

I remember it seemed to be a cup of espresso prepared entirely of very silky milk froth. The silky foam lasted all the way to the bottom of the cup/bowl without separating into liquid milk. Could it really be a coffee made with just silky foam?

It has come to be my holy grail...

Thanks for your advice.

Posted March 16, 2013 link

Sounds strikingly like a café latte. Micro foam is what you just described. The way it should be at least.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
AllenMueller

Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 9:10am

When I stayed in Paris a few years ago, I followed the suggestions of a friend who used to live there: I always said hello and goodby as I entered and left shops, tried to speak their language whenever possible and stayed away from touristy areas. Because of this, I never encountered the mean people you always hear about from other countries - in fact, I was treated better in Paris than anywhere I've ever been.

The best advice this guy gave me was this little nugget: wake up every morning, go to the nearest cafe, get a petite crème and a bit of bread or croissant. Years later, this daily ritual is among my favorite memories of the trip.

It's basically a short, slow extraction of espresso (think ristretto) topped off with high density microfoam. The closest I've gotten - and I mean that it tastes almost exactly like what I had in Paris - is by using a decent pump espresso machine (I use a gaggia baby twin with a modded steam wand) and doing the following:

1. fill espresso cup with hot water from the brew head
  2. make sure brew head and portafilter is clean, dry and preheated
  3. prepare portafilter for ristretto shot - for me, the grind has an almost flour-like consistency. If I press my finger into the coffee, I can faintly see my fingerprint but I can still see grounds.
  4. when portafilter is attached and ready to go, empty hot water from espresso cup, dry with clean towel and run shot to 30-40% of the volume of the espresso cup. do not take your eyes off the xtraction. you want slow, thin, syrupy legs, not a gushing crema sort of deal. (if it comes out fast: drink it or toss it, grind more beans and try again.)
  5. using a very cold, high quality organic whole milk*, create a dense microfoam
  6. top off espresso shot with the part of the steamed milk that is not liquid and not foam - it's the foamy liquid silky part in between. xD

note: This all has to be done very quickly - so make sure you have everything ready before you start.

*High quality organic whole milk. HIGH QUALITY. ORGANIC. I don't typically obsess over organic ingredients. However, I never see the difference in other products that I see in milk. When it comes to milk, you really do get what you pay for. You don't really notice the difference until you cook it or steam it, but it's there. A good organic milk has a sweetness and a nuttiness to it. It has a sweet fragrance. It steams up thick. The microfoam it makes keeps structure longer.  

So there it is. I just had one, BTW. That's how I came here to write this post. Checked to see if anyone on the internet knew the joys of this recipe and was surprised to see nothing out there, so I knew I had to contribute. :D

note: the espresso cup in the photo looks large, but it is very small. It is my favorite espresso cup in the universe, and I have had many different kinds over the years. I found it for sale in a design museum gift shop, but this seems to be the only place I can find it online: Click Here (www.didriks.com)

AllenMueller: petite_creme.jpg
(Click for larger image)
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 5:23pm

Allen,

Nicely written post. That sounds amazing. It sounds like my ideal drink as well. My fav has been a tight shot for macchiato, but I think I'll aim it a little closer to what you described. Make it count!

Agreed on the milk. One of the best capps I had was at Barefoot in 2007, where they used Straus milk.

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 5:22am

When you’re in France, you will encounter a café crème which comes in two sizes, a café crème and the grand café which is larger than the other one. It is like cappuccino, combination of espresso coffee and steamed milk topped with foam. Café au lait is a French word for coffee with milk. No Frenchmen are ordering this in their local café shops.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > What is a café...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.24373292923)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+