Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Starbucks VIA Taste Challenge
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Starbucks VIA...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
lost

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Thu Oct 8, 2009, 10:27am
Subject: Re: Starbucks VIA Taste Challenge

I'm no expert but isn't theirs a high risk marketing plan ?

I mean, what does it say about their coffee if you can't tell the difference between instant and brewed ? .............and what if you don't like the taste of their instant coffee ? they just told you that you can't tell the difference between the two.

That being said, I saw some statistic that about 35% of North America and 75% of England drinks instant.
 View Profile Link to this post
blegate
blegate
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Le'Lit Pl041
Grinder: In search of
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Capresso 500
Roaster: Behmor Roaster.  Best...
Posted Sat Oct 10, 2009, 8:59am

lost Said:

I'm no expert but isn't theirs a high risk marketing plan ?

I mean, what does it say about their coffee if you can't tell the difference between instant and brewed ? .............and what if you don't like the taste of their instant coffee ? they just told you that you can't tell the difference between the two.

That being said, I saw some statistic that about 35% of North America and 75% of England drinks instant.

Posted October 8, 2009 link

SB is a commodity with little ingenuity.  The company needs to generate rev and the instant coffee market is a $21B industry.  I think they will make a splash with this.  I'd take this camping, hiking, etc. btw,  I did the taste challenge twice and could easily identify the VIA product.  The tastes same is just a marketing gimmick in hopes of brainwashing Americans that Via is just as good as their regular brew.
rcs914
rcs914

Espresso: Expobar OC, PID'd Silvia
Grinder: Lux & Cimbali Jr
Vac Pot: E-santos,Santos, Hario
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Roaster: Turbo Crazy
Posted Mon Oct 12, 2009, 7:47am

Ok, so here's a follow up from my thoughts the other day.  What I was served as part of their in-store "challenge" bears very little resemblance to what I am currently drinking.  What I tried the other day had a very pleasant acidity, and really was not bad at all.  Right now I'm drinking the free sample packet they gave me, and it is really not the same.  It is drinkable black (which is more than I can say about most coffee served in restaurants today) but it doesn't have that same note that fooled me the first time into thinking it was the brewed coffee.

Obviously when they are making it up for the challenges they are using multiple packets, presumably made at the correct ratio, but then blending them in a carafe.  Perhaps there is variation between the packets or something, I'm really not sure.  All I know is that this one packet is not as satisfying as what I had previously been told was Via.

All in all though, this is still WAY better than in room coffee in a hotel.

Chris

Please remember CoffeeKids throughout the year:  www.coffeekids.org
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
lost

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:37am

...so if you are a competitor, does your next ad campaign say "Starbucks, no better than instant coffee"

How do we know this ? They said it themselves.
blegate
blegate

Espresso: Le'Lit Pl041
Grinder: In search of
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Capresso 500
Roaster: Behmor Roaster.  Best...
Posted Mon Oct 12, 2009, 8:09pm

You're Right RCS914, it is way better than hotel coffee.  I dislike those little machines in the rooms and the morning routine of ripping open the foil to pull out the white puck infused with some bland coffee grounds- blah.  Sad to say but when I travel, 95% of the time I'll choose a hotel close to a Starbucks.

As for marketing they should have called it "Starbucks Lite" or "Starbucks 2-go" (btw, I know the reason why VIA was chosen).     Marketing it as just as good as in-store brew may back fire in the end.  Marketing the product as 'different than their core product' doesn't hurt and sets expectations with the consumer.

In the end, this new product will end up on the grocery shelves within a year. I'd buy it for those days I'm traveling knowing I'm going to end up in that hotel with a crappy 1 cup brewer.

-B
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Tue Oct 13, 2009, 2:30pm

blegate Said:

Sad to say but when I travel, 95% of the time I'll choose a hotel close to a Starbucks.

I'd buy it for those days I'm traveling knowing I'm going to end up in that hotel with a crappy 1 cup brewer.

Posted October 12, 2009 link

I dunno if a lot of you folk just don't care what you drink, or if you end up in hotels as a 'surprise' far too often.  When I travel, I take, at minimum, a hand-grinder and a moka pot, or (as of now) the Aerobie press.  IF I have a great method of transport (sometimes there is one of our trucks going to the same event, or when I'm our on tour) I'll travel with the Silvia and Rocky.  Shoulda seen the fellas' faces when I picked up my Major on a show in DC.  Beat shipping it all the way across the country, and it did make the in-room coffee rather better!  ; >

Point being, it doesn't take a great expenditure or effort to get really great coffee while traveling.   Unless you're ready to drink a Starbucks, of course.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Tue Oct 13, 2009, 3:11pm

Psyd Said:

I dunno if a lot of you folk just don't care what you drink, or if you end up in hotels as a 'surprise' far too often.  

Posted October 13, 2009 link

I suppose if I keep waking up in hotel rooms as a "surprise", I've got bigger problems than what kind of coffee I'm drinking.

Psyd Said:

Point being, it doesn't take a great expenditure or effort to get really great coffee while traveling.   Unless you're ready to drink a Starbucks, of course.

Posted October 13, 2009 link

Understood.  I would still put value in convenience though.  If I'm away for a few days I'll bring my virtuoso and press.  An overnighter I'll drink whatever cup of joe is being served.  I can do w/o great coffee for a day or two as it's not worth it to me to pack it up.
KatieT
KatieT

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Java Coffee & Tea Co.
Posted Wed Oct 14, 2009, 7:36pm

In the past two days, I've gotten two sample packets of both the Italian Roast VIA and the Colombian Roast VIA. I went to Starbucks first for a Pumpkin Spice latte, and since it was late at night and there was a wait, the guy at the window said he was going to "throw in" the Colombian sample VIA (3 packets) for free.

Then, last night, I got a White Chocolate Mocha, along with some other munchies. The girl at the window said instead of charging me for a Grande WCM, she would price it as a Tall and throw in the Italian sample VIA (3 packets) for free, as well as the Chocolate-Banana Bread we ordered.

So as you can see, they are REALLY pushing the VIA to their customers.

I never had a chance to partake of the "challenge," but I've been able to get an idea of what VIA is from all of the informative posts here. Thanks ya'll!  =)
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic

Espresso: Won't become one of those...
Grinder: Braun KMM30, Krups Fast...
Vac Pot: Never had much luck there.
Drip: Melitta Deluxe 132 made in...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Sun Oct 18, 2009, 6:01am

The taste challenge is rigged.  For the last year, about the only coffee Starbucks has been serving in their stores is that crappy Pikes Place stuff.  This has probably gotten Starbucks drinkers acclimated to a substandard cup that cannot (by them) be distinguished from the instant.  By the way, for the hell of it, I took the challenge.  I could tell there was a difference without knowing which was which.  But, I thought both were equally substandard.  It's just not fair to have people take a taste challenge, and then ask them to pick the least crappy.
Lady_Croft
Lady_Croft

Espresso: None :(
Grinder: Baratza virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tabletop
Drip: Mellita ceramic pourover
Posted Sun Oct 18, 2009, 6:27am

bodum_fanatic Said:

The taste challenge is rigged.  For the last year, about the only coffee Starbucks has been serving in their stores is that crappy Pikes Place stuff....  It's just not fair to have people take a taste challenge, and then ask them to pick the least crappy.

Posted October 18, 2009 link

YES! I completely agree. What is with this Pikes Place garbage blend? I used to get a small coffee when I was forced to run through Starbucks as a much cheaper alternative to some rediculously over-priced milk drink - but since they replaced any chance of them brewing an "ok" coffee (like the colombian), with this disgusting Pike's Place, or something even more over-roasted, I can't even stomach it anymore. It tastes burnt, acrid, and chemically. I don't see how the VIA could possibly be much worse!!

~Jess
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Starbucks VIA...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.326033830643)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+