Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Turkish Coffee - do you like it?  Why?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Turkish Coffee -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
chris_haake

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2005, 7:56pm
Subject: Re: Turkish Coffee - do you like it?  Why?

For years, I've been making Turkish (or, should we say, Mediterrannean) coffee for myself. I bought the grinders and a hand-painted china demi tasse set (with matching tray) from a Turkish friend's shop. The secret is probably not only in the bean but also the grind...it must be powdery fine, much finer than espresso grind. I've never had any problem with any of the sediment getting in the way; it's so fine, it forms a layer of "silt" on the bottom and pretty much stays there. Ugher (my friend) and I have argued over the best beans to use (I can't readily get Brazilian beans where I live, and it seems many Mid-Easterners prefer a healthy dose of them in the coffee), and I only let the coffee just come to a boil a couple of times (NOT a thorough boil, which makes it too thin and bitter for my taste). And that's about it. It takes a bit of practice, but it's well worth it.
 View Profile Link to this post
mahirturkishcoffee
mahirturkishcoffee
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jan 27, 2009, 5:41am

Why Turkish coffee?

As a Turk, I've to confess that I discovered Turkish coffee very late! I started to brew and drink Turkish coffee, while I was living in the States :)

Now, I cannot live without Turkish coffee. Why?? Actually, there are a lot of reasons from its taste to aroma. But, I think the main reason lies on the life-style that is represented by Turkish coffee. To me it's not just a coffee... It's something that is whispering "stop what you're doing in a hectic day, take a moment, look around, talk to your friends, and simply enjoy the life."

I'm writing a blog about Turkish coffee. It'll be nice, if you guys can take a look at it and share your comments.
Mahir's Turkish Coffeehouse

Afiyet olsun! (Bon Appetite in Turkish :)
tjkoko

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso and Turkish...
Drip: Meiltta filter with cone
Roaster: Whirlypop Stovetop Unit,...
Posted Wed Jan 28, 2009, 5:01am

Thick, frothy and chocolaty goodness.

AND TURKISH COFFEE IS fFAR LESS FUSSY TO MAKE THAN ESPRESSO!!!!!!!!

And yes I'm shouting!
saramarie

Espresso: had, now looking for some...
Grinder: turkish grinder
Drip: well yeah, not sexy, but I...
Roaster: no, I cheat and go to a shop...
Posted Thu Apr 30, 2009, 9:43am

Hey, how do you make it chocolate?  A friend of mine has recently turned me into a fan of this kind of coffee (she is a total nerd for coffee and getting me to try different things, since I'm all about caffeine).  I like how its preparation and drinking is something of a ceremony, instead of just throwing some cheap grinds in a pot and letting it drip.  I'd love to hear more tips or ideas so we can try them out.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Apr 30, 2009, 9:53am

saramarie Said:

I'd love to hear more tips or ideas so we can try them out.

Posted April 30, 2009 link

A simple search & you may find what you're looking for: Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jkandell

Grinder: Braun blade
Vac Pot: broken Yama
Drip: melitta 2,4,6; aeropress
Posted Thu Jul 15, 2010, 9:11am

Worldman Said:

Those of you who consider yourselves to be Turkish aficionados, what is it that appeals to you about the drink?

Posted March 8, 2005 link

I like the distinctive odor as it's brewing and the distinctive flavor that comes from the low temperatures.
eastbaysanfranman
eastbaysanfranman

Espresso: Nueva Simmoneli Oscar
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Technivorm/Chemex/Espro...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Jul 15, 2010, 11:15am

I have a couple of comments about Turkish coffee. First of all, I have heard it said that there is a reason that it has not gained more popularity with coffeeGEEKS in general. Basically, you're way overheating the coffee and basically burning it to where as in which you cannot taste the nuances and different flavors that beans coming from different terroirs (terroirs?) have to offer. That being said, I love Turkish coffee. I think that it produces a flavor all of its own and I really enjoy the ritual of making it and the wow factor that you can get from guests when entertaining by showing them something new. Here is a big mistake I have made when I began to brew turkish coffee. I purchased a stainless steel Ibrik. Do not do this. The problem with the stainless steel is that it gets hot and then it stays too hot to produce a good foam. You want it to be able to cool down a little if necessary and the stainless just holds in too much of the heat. You need the traditional copper Ibrik for a good Turkish coffee. I thought that my problem was the fact that I was using a glass ceramic cooktop and was shopping for a small propane burner when I came across this guy: http://www.turkishcoffeeworld.com/ He is extemely knowledgable about Turkish coffee and was very friendly. He explained that he even carries the stainless Ibriks because people want them but he highly does not recommend them.
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sat Jul 17, 2010, 11:06am

I like middle eastern coffee and will drink it when I can get a good cup.  I think the reason it isn't more popular than it is is that most of what is served is drek.  Even in Turkey I saw the stuff sold pre-ground in the markets.  Us espresso lovers will throw out ground coffee after 15 minutes.  The coffee for middle eastern coffee is ground even finer.

If you live near Sunnyvale CA go to Dish Dash resturant.  In addition to great food they serve a decient cup.  For a real treat with the coffee have a desert which they call baklava crumbles.

Phil

PS:  I'll start calling this drink "Turkish Coffee" after the Turkish government owns up to the Armenian holocaust.

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frankthecrank

Posted Tue May 24, 2011, 4:08am

Actually I love Turkish coffee. It is a ritual, that's true. Gives you a moment to relax with others. But I find the taste uniquely smooth. It totally lacks the bitterness present often in espresso or moka. It is like a smoother, less biting espresso. Easy to make and real easy to clean up afterward. If you have not tried it I recommend getting an ibrik online--they are inexpensive. They also look cool and make a great addition to your kitchen coffee stuff!
fox65

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012, 7:24am

eastbaysanfranman Said:

I came across this guy: http://www.turkishcoffeeworld.com/ He is extemely knowledgable about Turkish coffee and was very friendly. He explained that he even carries the stainless Ibriks because people want them but he highly does not recommend them.

Posted July 15, 2010 link

Did he explain why?
I was looking to buy stainless steel, because of tin or nickel in copper ibriks, but am not sure now...
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Turkish Coffee -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300308942795)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+