Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Cup of Excellence winner at Target
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Cup of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
TrucMachin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Some crap
Posted Mon Jan 12, 2009, 9:44am
Subject: Cup of Excellence winner at Target

I had no idea about it but yesterday I found that Target keeps a fairly wide line of single origin coffees under the Archer Farms label. They even include a 2008 Guatemalan Cup of Excellence winner. (La Bendición; 2nd place of 25, 89.78 points).

Bought a 10 oz package for about 16 bucks and tried it this morning on my Silvia. I have to say that I am very impressed by it. It is of a quality that I have never encountered in a large chain or supermarket. Excellent crema, rich subtle flavors and a pleasant acidity.

I know that storage and handling of coffee in a Target store certainly doesn't help preserve its quality, especially since the coffee will sit on the shelf until sold out. On the other hand, its now still pretty fresh so I'll go back for more.
 View Profile Link to this post
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Mon Jan 12, 2009, 10:16am
Subject: Re: Cup of Excellence winner at Target

Would still rather have a less pedigreed coffee that I know is fresh ie with a roast date.
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Won't become one of those...
Grinder: Braun KMM30, Krups Fast...
Vac Pot: Never had much luck there.
Drip: Melitta Deluxe 132 made in...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Mon Jan 12, 2009, 11:52am

I've found that Target's private label coffees are actually pretty good quality.  Their Costa Rican and their Kenya AA are two of my favorites.
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009, 7:52am

TrucMachin Said:

I had no idea about it but yesterday I found that Target keeps a fairly wide line of single origin coffees under the Archer Farms label. They even include a 2008 Guatemalan Cup of Excellence winner. (La Bendición; 2nd place of 25, 89.78 points).

Bought a 10 oz package for about 16 bucks

Posted January 12, 2009 link

As the 2nd place lot went for $17.05/lb and they're 3rd place $21.05 at auction, then you get the weight loss from roasting, shipping cost, etc. the price is obviously a promotion/loss leader. Glad to see the better coffee but I fear they will not be able to manage the stock for freshness. Was there a "use by or roasted on, date"?
farm

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TrucMachin

Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009, 11:51am

farmroast Said:

As the 2nd place lot went for $17.05/lb at auction, then you get the weight loss from roasting, shipping cost, etc. the price is obviously a promotion/loss leader. Glad to see the better coffee but I fear they will not be able to manage the stock for freshness. Was there a "use by or roasted on, date"?
farm

Posted January 13, 2009 link

The label says best if used by 05AUG2009. I prefer to go by the roast date if I'll make espresso. Another code says 25929, which maybe means a production on the 259th day of the year (September 16th in that case). Its not impossible.

As for the price, I would bet that they bought chunk of the production before it went for auction, got lucky and sold it at a huge profit margin. Just with the weight loss of roasting, you'd probably break even. That would be my bet. They even canned it in a special tin. Inside it, you find the coffee in a package identical to the other single origin coffees they sell.

I don't know if this coffee will be sold at all Target stores. This target is located in a relatively wealthy suburb. I could not be more pleased to find such easy access to good coffee.
TrucMachin

Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009, 11:55am

I actually made a cappuccino for my wife this morning and she even had it without sugar. Rarely seen that before! She asked me how expensive this was and sad that from now on that's all we'd be drinking.
farmroast
farmroast

Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009, 4:26pm

The auction was June 12 08. I saw them today. Didn't buy one. The can is pretty cool. It's $14.99. here. It's a damn shame to let those great coffees go stale sitting on a Target shelf. They went for the first place El Injerto lot too but lost out. Hell what would they do with a $80+/lb coffee. Nice loss leader!
farm

please visit my blog
lost

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009, 8:43pm

The total purchase by Target was what ? 35 bags ? ....for 1600 stores ? What does that work out to be ?

That Guatemala Injerto is available at Sweet Maria's.....for $46 with a half pound limit.
farmroast
farmroast

Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009, 10:36pm

lost Said:

The total purchase by Target was what ? 35 bags ? ....for 1600 stores ? What does that work out to be ?

That Guatemala Injerto is available at Sweet Maria's.....for $46 with a half pound limit.

I stocked up on the El Injerto pacamara when SM got the pre auction lot from the farm. Great stuff!

please visit my blog
TrucMachin

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2009, 10:02am

farmroast Said:

The auction was June 12 08. I saw them today. Didn't buy one. The can is pretty cool. It's $14.99. here. It's a damn shame to let those great coffees go stale sitting on a Target shelf. They went for the first place El Injerto lot too but lost out. Hell what would they do with a $80+/lb coffee. Nice loss leader!
farm

So they purchased it post Cup? Went for the top prize? Sounds insane. I guess it validates their cheaper coffees for a premium price.

I still think it's a great value for the moment. Totally worth the 15 bucks. Coffee is  roasted to Full City+. On the freshness side, its good enough, not great, you won't find me buying it anymore a few weeks from now.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Cup of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.287174940109)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+