Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
On the Road to Coffee Geek
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > On the Road to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Ormazd
Ormazd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rocky doserless, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm KBT741
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Aug 15, 2003, 4:53am
Subject: Re: On the Road to Coffee Geek

You forgot to add COFFEE to the list!  LOL

Gary
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Aug 15, 2003, 7:44am

Notaddicted Said:

You're not supposed to add it up!!  Who said you could add it up?  One of the laws of 'hobbydome" is you NEVER ADD IT UP...

( I can't believe he added it up)....

Posted August 14, 2003 link

too funny...you are killing me...
 View Profile Link to this post
johannabanana
johannabanana
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La San Marco 1,2,+3group,...
Grinder: 2 LSM, 3 Tourmix, 1 demoka...
Vac Pot: not yet
Drip: Melitta aroma boy,...
Roaster: Precision & Mr. Gunter :-D
Posted Fri Aug 15, 2003, 10:24am

...me too... *grin*

johannabanana: cowandchickenhome.gif
(Click for larger image)

"Do everything right.
You will gratify some people and astonish the rest." (Mark Twain)
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Aug 15, 2003, 11:06am

johannabanana Said:

...me too... *grin*

Posted August 15, 2003 link

Me too!, & Cow & Chicken, they're crackin' up!!
{:-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JohnDoe

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Maestro+
Vac Pot: Yama, Infuze, Santos
Drip: Manual;Melitta Clarity
Roaster: Z&D;Split-Fan P1;Hot-Rod FR+...
Posted Fri Aug 15, 2003, 12:12pm

Notaddicted Said:

You're not supposed to add it up!!  Who said you could add it up?  One of the laws of 'hobbydome" is you NEVER ADD IT UP...

( I can't believe he added it up)....

Posted August 14, 2003 link

oops….live and learn… :)

Thur am - Brewed up the Costa Rica (2 scoops).  It tastes really good.  Not quite as 'distinct' as the Guatemala.. but very smooth and nice.  Still kinda light.

Thur pm- 10:00.  Time for another roast!  My neighbor is going to start to wonder what is going on by now.  This time I split the middle and weighed out 100g/3.5oz of beans (Panama Auction Lot).  Set everything up as before and went through the ropes.  Once again, I did not hear the first crack (my ear practically on the popper).  At 4min 5 seconds, I heard the beginning of the second crack.  I decided to wait a little bit longer.. and pulled the plug at 4min 30 seconds.  Seems to be much more chaff this time around (in the bowl and on the carpet).  There was also a fair amount of chaff still on the beans that I rubbed off in the cooling process.  Guess I will have to vacuum this time.  The color looks noticeably darker compared to the first two batches.. but not burnt.  I don't really notice any oils as would appear late in the roast.  I still kick myself for forgetting to get a thermometer with my order.

After I cleaned up… I decided to take apart my popper and think about some modifications.  I am really surprised at how simple the whole design is.. and that these people don't just recreate a larger version of this with a few extra bells and whistles for dirt cheap.  I am also very surprised that the thing doesn't catch fire.  The heating element seems to be housed in what looks to be specially treated cardboard.  It certainly doesn't look like it can take 500 degree temps!  It seems so easy for somebody with a little skill in the workshop to 'build' their own using this as a starting point.  Add a larger fan, larger bean chamber and the dimmers/switches that are already mentioned on various sites.  I think I can manage adding a switch pretty easily using some of these sites as a reference.. but don't have the know-how (or tools) for the rest.  It just seems so easy on the surface...

Fri am- Brewed up some more Costa Rica.  This time I used 3 tablespoons.  Tasted pretty good.. but I think somewhere between yesterday's 2 scoops and today's 3 scoops will be the sweet spot for me.  I don't know why I like less than the 'recommended'…?  Drank it while surfing the web for info on dimmers and switches (I sense an upcoming project).

Oh- I also hit a flea market during lunch (looking for old poppers).  I didn't find any.. but I did pick up a air-tight glass jar (with clasp) for a couple of bucks.  It may come in handy if I keep it up.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > On the Road to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.258055925369)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+