Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Eating Coffee beans raw
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Eating Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Gromitsend

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed May 18, 2005, 11:26pm
Subject: Eating Coffee beans raw

Now some of you might cringe at the thought, But I really enjoy raw coffee beans. They're great just sucking on, or eating raw, alone,  with chocolate, or even mixed into some icecream. You get over the bitterness after a while and actually develop quite the taste for them (much like brewed coffee itself)

I've searched all over the internet and much of these forums, but I can't find much about Eating Coffee beans raw.
Does Anyone else do this?
What brands have you found to be the most tasteful?
and finally, Is there anything harmful about eating them raw?
 View Profile Link to this post
Malibar
Malibar
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot (stovetop)
Grinder: Rocky DL, Cuisinart...
Drip: Pourover Cone, Bodum...
Roaster: I wish
Posted Wed May 18, 2005, 11:39pm
Subject: Re: Eating Coffee beans raw

I sprinkle grounds on ice cream.  About half a tablespoon on 3 scoops.

Hemingway had the ideal cofee shop figured out: "A clean, well-lighted place."
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
reschsmooth
reschsmooth

Espresso: Unico Splendor
Grinder: Macap M5
Roaster: Popcorn popper & stovetop...
Posted Wed May 18, 2005, 11:49pm

I assume when you say 'raw', you mean roasted but unground beans? At first I thought you meant unroasted, green beans.

I love em, and generally eat one or two as soon as they have cooled after roasting to get a hint at their flavour.

I once heard that chewing on coffee beans is not recommended by doctors (including those fantastic chocolate coated beans) as we never chew them fine enough and they don't digest to well - meaning we have these sharp bits of poorly ground coffee in our stomachs.

I tried the ground coffee on icecream once and found that it was too bitter straight up - perhaps I used too much coffee.

Now, an affogato is a different thing - fantastic in summer

Patrick
Mr_Bingley
Mr_Bingley
Expertise: Professional
Posted Thu May 19, 2005, 7:46am

yep, lots of fiber.

chewing green beans takes a bit more effort.
scubadoo97
scubadoo97

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: got one of those too
Drip: Aeropress, Clarity, FP,...
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Thu May 19, 2005, 9:10am

I always taste beans after roasting.  You can get some feedback about the texture and flavor of the roasted beans that way.  Enjoy ground coffee sprinkled over ice cream.  Gets crunchy and is very tasty.

It may not be too good if you have diverticulosis.
Breneric
Breneric
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 2:38am

Raw Beans, If you are talking about, GREEN BEANS, These are Nutshell hard, and will not give you any flavour.... The flavour comes in the roast.
MMMMMM
Lukey

Espresso: Synesso Saber 2 group
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 5:28am

reschsmooth Said:

I once heard that chewing on coffee beans is not recommended by doctors (including those fantastic chocolate coated beans) as we never chew them fine enough and they don't digest to well - meaning we have these sharp bits of poorly ground coffee in our stomachs.

Posted May 18, 2005 link

maybe we should say that to our customers as we put a couple of choc coated beans on the side of our coffees.
i dint think they'd take any notice as they are quite addictive.

when i saw raw i thought green beans also, as for roasted, i cant see why not.

green beans wont do much for you. unless your a coffee grower and eating them green has been a way to taste them. we had a coffee grower frim png come in ages ago and asked if he could sample some beans, we got some roasted ones for him and he said "no, iwant green ones"

he chewed away, and as i recall said some of them were quite sweet.

luke
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
TroyR
TroyR

Espresso: bezzera BZ02s
Grinder: mazzer rio normale, solis...
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: french press
Roaster: i-roast 2
Posted Tue Feb 7, 2006, 3:53pm

I must admit, after the last "Coffee Eating" thread I tried a dusting of ground coffee (>turkish, <espresso) on some peanut buttered toast.  Not bad.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Feb 7, 2006, 8:52pm

Gromitsend Said:

Now some of you might cringe at the thought, But I really enjoy raw coffee beans. They're great just sucking on, or eating raw, alone,  with chocolate, or even mixed into some icecream. You get over the bitterness after a while and actually develop quite the taste for them (much like brewed coffee itself)

I've searched all over the internet and much of these forums, but I can't find much about Eating Coffee beans raw.
Does Anyone else do this?
What brands have you found to be the most tasteful?
and finally, Is there anything harmful about eating them raw?

Posted May 18, 2005 link

Hello.  I recall reading somewhere that unprocessed coffee beans (not roasted), and unprocessed chocolate (cocoa beans) are the considered to be the dirtiest food products sold on the open market.  I don't recall what they meant by dirtiest, but I feel that by roasting the beans the high heat must address some or all of that issue.

I do know that alot of the coffee beans are water processed, and the water in alot of the countries that the beans come from is poor quality at best.  I would not want to eat them raw.

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JNew

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2006, 8:02pm

Seeing as I work at a coffee shop as a barista, I get a free pound of coffee beans a week. And since I get all the free coffee I ever want from work (brewed from their high-quality brewers, not my mr. coffee), I rarely ever use up my beans. Until one day I discovered how good coffee beans really taste. Well, I started out having 2 or 3 a day, then each day having more and more, untill i was chewing and chewing away on coffee beans all day (50+). Well, 3 days ago I suffered a bad headache in the morning (I had to work this day). Seeing as I thought it was dehydration at first, I drank alot of water, and that doing no good, my boss told me that warm drinks open up the blood vessels, and may help with a headache (Advil had done nothing). I also am mildly addicted to caffein. So I go and have more coffee, thinking it may be a headache from lack of caffein (and I ate some more beans as well). Well, things go down hill from here. I am dizzy, everything is dissasociated, I have a bad headache and nausea. It was a quiet day and when my boss left, I went to the back room and layed down on the floor to try and get some rest. I couldnt sleep for a damn (the 100 degree heat and lying on a tile floor didnt help), and i just rested for 40 minutes, till 5 minutes before I could leave. When I got up (because a customer had walked in) I still felt dizzy and more nauseated then ever. While talking to the customer, I almost threw up 3 times. My jaw muscles clenched together and I was salivating heavily, feeling weak all over and extremely dizzy, with some mild stomache convulsions. I managed to not throw up and after leaving work and getting home to my AC i felt better. I am a musician, and I had a concert in 2 hours so i thought I would get some sleep. I layed down but couldnt sleep (and I had about 4 hours the previous night). So before the concert I drank a coke to wake me up. I managed to play the concert, but I was feeling so dizzy that I could not walk straight. I went home afterwards and spent a long time trying to sleep, and finally fell asleep.

After some internet research the next day, I figured out that I had overdosed on caffein. So my best advice is never get hooked on eating coffee beans, even with their oh-so-delicious taste. Because after a long time and alot of them, it will screw you up.

I also met a strange man (that ordered a bottled drink, during the absolute worst part of the day) who gave me his email adress on paper, telling me some really strange things, and when another co-worker walked in and I was talking to them I got a strange look from my co-worker. I never found the paper with the email adress, which I clearly remember putting in my pocket. He was telling me about an event to go to, and when I googled it the next day, it turned out to be in Arkansas (I live in Minnesota). I have never heard of people experiencing hallucinations from a caffein overdose, but it made me wonder about that. It could have just been coincidental.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Eating Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282402992249)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+