Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Growing Coffee in Florida
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Growing Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
NickScull

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, Expobar...
Grinder: Solis Maestro, Mazzer Mini...
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Technivorm Clubline
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Mar 31, 2005, 1:30pm
Subject: Re: Growing Coffee in Florida

This was posted yesterday in the "Growing your own Kona" thread below this one. The author owns a coffee farm in Hawaii.

She says, " Just jumping in to say that a fully mature Kona coffee tree with 4 verticals can produce 30-40 pounds."
 View Profile Link to this post
Mr_Bingley
Mr_Bingley
Expertise: Professional
Posted Thu Mar 31, 2005, 1:50pm

NickScull Said:

This was posted yesterday in the "Growing your own Kona" thread below this one. The author owns a coffee farm in Hawaii.

She says, " Just jumping in to say that a fully mature Kona coffee tree with 4 verticals can produce 30-40 pounds."

Posted March 31, 2005 link

I'm sorry, but I can't believe that; she either made a typo or is not talking about a single tree or perhaps she means over the course of its life.
NickScull

Posted Sat Apr 2, 2005, 8:08am

Or is it possible she was referring to berries, not beans? I do know that some trees grow so large you need ladders to pick from.
NickScull

Posted Sun Apr 3, 2005, 6:44am

By way of clarification, she states, " Yes 30-40 pounds of fresh fruit in the 3rd year.  That equals about 5-6 pounds of green."

That's almost a 7:1 ratio. Who said coffee processing isn't hard work? Then you have spread and dry the beans. In some of the countries of origin, green coffee sells for around $1.00 per pound which is a yield of about $5 per tree. Knowing this certainly adds to my appreciation of what it takes to produce the world's favorite brew!
kopepua
kopepua

Grinder: yes-Bunn  G3
Drip: yes
Roaster: yes- fluid bed
Posted Thu Apr 7, 2005, 5:10pm

You are correct.  This whole Florida coffee thing is fraught wth issues.  Yes, coffee can not tolerate frost---period.  

And don't get me started on  the "real coffee" idea.  Gads.  

I am usually a pessimist but somehow this scientist sees coffee carts in his future when he has only studied and grown coffee for 2 years.  Theplants are hardly producing at 2 years.  According to a source of mine, FL wanted to coem up with an alternate crop that could handle frost because the citrus could not.  

Oops sorry this is an old post that I am replying to.

aloha from a coffee grower....
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kopepua
kopepua

Grinder: yes-Bunn  G3
Drip: yes
Roaster: yes- fluid bed
Posted Thu Apr 7, 2005, 5:13pm

oops.  i am usually not a pessimist but always a bad typist...
Bean_Roaster
Bean_Roaster

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli, La Pavoni
Grinder: Simonelli, Bunn, Delonghi,...
Drip: Bunn, Delonghi, etc
Roaster: Ambex, Sonofresco
Posted Mon Apr 11, 2005, 12:36pm

I'm with Mr. Bingley.  

I'm skeptical - usually coffee plants won't produce anything worth harvesting until they are mature - 5 years or older.  Second, altitude has EVERYTHING to do with it - so I would imagine what he is producing would be an inferior grade bean comparable to a poor Robusta at best.

Sure, the plants can grow - I live in Georgia and have a half dozen myself.  They are very young sprouts, but looking good.  I have no intention of even trying to harvest - I'm growing them as an office decoration.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
ChicagoSandy
ChicagoSandy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill "La Cora,"  Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Presses, Aeropress
Drip: postnasal, Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast2, SC/TO
Posted Mon Apr 11, 2005, 1:05pm

My mom lives in Delray Beach, less than an hour from Davie, so I might head down to his shop/bar and taste for myself (granted, the current stuff carefully tended under controlled home conditions will probably show far better in the cup than will his eventual crop).  I can personally attest to the fact that southeast Fla.  DOES get the occasional frost--twice in the past three years I've visited in Feb. and awakened to frost--not just condensation--that I've had to scrape off my car windows.  But I'm sure he's prepared for that, with smudge pots, insulating sprayers (ice-encased plants can't get colder than 32 degrees F) and nighttime tarps and burlap covers.  It's gonna be so labor-intensive that he may have to set his prices too high to be competitive--and also bear in mind that minimum-wage and benefits laws Stateside will make him pay his pickers and tenders far more than his foreign competitors (probably a major factor in Kona's relatively high price as well).

As to the altitude question, although it is true that the best Arabicas are high-grown, it is also interesting to note that a lowland coffee--grown in the decidedly low-altitude Brazilian state of Bahia--has been chosen by Intelligentsia as one of its "Cup of Excellence" offerings.

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
-------------------
Life's too short to drink lousy coffee, play crummy guitars and write with ballpoint pens.
Mr_Bingley
Mr_Bingley
Posted Tue Apr 12, 2005, 5:27am

Actually, I've been to Bahia many times, and most of the arabicas are grown west of the Chapada Diamintina (which is a stunningly gorgeous national park) at altitudes greater than 1500 feet or so.

And your point about the insane labor costs this fellow will incur is spot-on.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Growing Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278379917145)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+