Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Olive Garden coffee, do you like it. Where can I get it or something similar?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Olive Garden...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
dorcusarabicus
dorcusarabicus
Posted Sat Feb 5, 2005, 11:30pm
Subject: Olive Garden coffee, do you like it. Where can I get it or something similar?

I was at Olive Garden last night and really enjoyed the coffee that was served. I did some internet research and found out that the coffee is supplied by S&D Coffee Inc. in North Carolina. The blend they use is called "Caffe la Toscana". I visited the S&D website but that blend isn't listed for sale. It must be something especially made for Olive Garden. I am sending S&D an e-mail asking if that blend is available for sale to the public.

I was wondering if Starbucks sells a blend that would taste similar. If anybody here answers maybe I could pick up some tomorrow after church.

I've heard that most Starbucks coffee is overroasted so they may not sell something similar. (They are the only coffee shop in my area)  So if they don't offer anything similar to the S&D blend is there another vendor on the internet who would sell something similar?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Dan
 View Profile Link to this post
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 10:30am
Subject: :)

Hmm, I'm sure it was a tasty cup of coffee there at the Garden. Having not tried it myself, it will be hard to say what you could get that might be similar.

However, it is a pretty safe bet that the beans used in that coffee are not top quality nor roasted perfectly. If you liked that, I'm sure we could find something that you would like even better. There are a number of roasters on the internets ;) who are selling the best beans money can buy.

You might look into these:

www.intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.terroircoffee.com
www.coffeeemergency.com

I am partial to the coffeeemergency. His coffee is great, and delivery is speedy. I would think the coffee you had would be mostly Central American coffees, so you might try a Colombian or Guatemalan.

Good for you for buying a grinder. That is the best thing to spend good money on if great coffee is your thing.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Nate
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dorcusarabicus
dorcusarabicus
Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 10:54am
Subject: Re: :)

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check out the links.

I love the name "Coffee Emergency", fits my situation perfectly! I've been drinking Eight O'clock coffee based on a Consumer Reports review. But since I've been reading the forums here and paying attention to what it actually tastes like (Flat with heavy cardboard overtones) I can't stand it.

I purchased a Melitta cone brewer which has been an improvement over autodrip but the taste of Eight* is still disappointing! (even when freshly ground)

So I think what I am looking for is a good quality coffee that is not roasted to hell (Hell Roast?).

My girlfriend is getting me a Solis Maestro for valentines day. Can't wait!

Dan
dorcusarabicus
dorcusarabicus
Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 11:00am
Subject: Re: Olive Garden coffee

I forgot to mention that Central American coffee was my guess too even though I hardly know anything about coffee varieties. It didn't taste overly burnt or earthy (thought I'm not sure exactly what earthy means yet). It did have a light and somewhat tart flavor. Sounds like Central American coffee from what I've been reading.
poison
poison

Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 11:27am
Subject: Maximum length for Subject is 80 characters, please re-edit. *shut the h*ll up*

Sounds like you are on the right track. Good beans will work wonders. Consumer Reports would faint if they held any coffee from any of the three companies I linked to up to their choices to review. :)

Cardboard overtones! lol It sounds like your taste buds are progressing just fine! The 8Oclock is not only poorly roasted but the beans are about the worst around.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard the CE Guatemala Palo Alto Azul is fantastic.

Your GF seems to be a keeper!! :) Enjoy the Maestro, I have one. Perfect for drip.

Nate
expobar

Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 11:33am
Subject: Re: Maximum length for Subject is 80 characters, please re-edit. *shut the h*ll

CE's Guat is amazing.  When I worked for him at Farmers Markets, his Guatemalan Palo Alto Azul sold like mad.    So is his Kenyan Muthiani, Timor Maubesse (a timid indonesian, less earth, more chocolate), Sidamo, Brazilian, and Colombian.  I have some Harrar, but am yet to try it out.

Maybe, to get close, try Jason's Cafe Buenas Dias.  It sounds like it'd have some good skunky (dark roast) undertones with some shiney (guatemalan) highs.  I haven't tried it, but it sounds awesome.

I guess I'm biased.  Jason lives about 2 miles away, so I get (almost) all my coffees from him.

**edit**

I'm drinking a cup of Jason's Timor right now, that I left in our thermal carafe for a few hours.  It's phenominal!  It's like a hot chocolate malt.  Is there anything better than a great cup of coffee, while listening to Beethoven's 9th?
dorcusarabicus
dorcusarabicus
Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 1:20pm

HA! I just got done reading at the CE and the Guatemalan Palo Alto Azul sounded the most appealing to me. Then I checked back here and was pleasantly surprised to find that Eric and Nate felt the same way. I must be on the right track.

If I had to purchase one coffee it would probably be the Guatemalan Palo Alto Azul which has what CE calls a "Full City" roast. But I decided to purchase these two varieties first:

*Guatemalan Monte Maria - I want to try a lightly roasted Latin American coffee.
*100% Organic Timor Maubesse - I also want to try something different with a darker roast just to see if I can tell the difference. (Eric's description made me salivate)

I have a friend who has a coffee grinder so I'll ask him to grind it for me when the coffee arrives. It'll give me a good excuse to call since I haven't seen him in a while.

Thanks for your advice! I'll let you know how it tastes when I get it.

Dan
expobar

Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 1:27pm

You can ask jason to roast 2 different ways.  Maybe, order 1/2 pound of Palo Alto Azul at Full City, and another at a vienna.  

The Timor I have, I bought unroasted, so I roasted it to a City ++/Light Full City.  It's amazing.  Still has some great earthiness you'd expect from an indonesian, but It's like a chocolate earthiness.
poison
poison

Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 3:09pm
Subject: .

I award you 3 dancing bananas for starting the journey to good coffee (whatever the hell that means)!!!

Enjoy! Jason is awesome, a great guy!

Nate

Hey, Eric, I'm gonna email you...
malachi
malachi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Monster Mia (for now)_
Grinder: Monster Cimballi Junior
Vac Pot: Not any more
Drip: never
Roaster: Ecco, Stumptown, Intelli,...
Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 3:40pm

http://www.coffeereview.com/
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Olive Garden...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.243280887604)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+