Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Thermos Nissan Detailed Review
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Thermos Nissan...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
espressoDOM
espressoDOM
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Mon Jun 16, 2003, 11:37am
Subject: Not sure what to buy...

I am not sure what is the way to go for a road warrior who wants his excellent shot in the arm i mean shot in the dark when he gets to work.  My just go with the briefcase deal.  Thanks for all the work it was an awesome review
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
darb

Expertise: Beginner

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2003, 10:03pm
Subject: Re: Thermos Nissan Detailed Review

All kind cool, but what I want is a 20 oz tumbler/mug.  Anybody know where I can get one?
 View Profile Link to this post
COBoy

Espresso: La Pavoni Europicolla
Grinder: Kitchenaid A9 burr
Vac Pot: none
Drip: French press
Roaster: Heat gun - Milwaukee 1220
Posted Thu Jan 29, 2004, 3:16pm

Great review but I think these products need to be compared to another brand.  The reveiw ends up sounding like a commercial for Thermos-Nissan because you don't do head-to-head tests with other insulated beverage holders.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jan 29, 2004, 4:19pm

Keep in mind, this was probably the first review of a major product from a mainstream company on the CoffeeGeek site. Thermos tooks a bit of a gamble on us, esp. with giving up editorial control on what we'd write. I did try to contact Zojirushi, Trudeau, and other companies at the time and ask them if they would send samples to stack up against Thermos Nissan, and not a single one replied to me at the time.

After I posted the review, Zojirushi expressed interest in having their products reviewed, but that has gone no where (ie, no real followups since that time).

I can tell you quite seriously, this was a very objective review; every temperature test I did was independent - I even dropped major coin on the tools used to test these products. I had video too of me batting around one of the drink containers (with a bat), but it didn't make the transition to the new site. :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 8:20am

CoffeeKid Said:

---  I did try to contact Zojirushi, Trudeau, and other companies at the time and ask them if they would send samples to stack up against Thermos Nissan, and not a single one replied to me at the time.
--- After I posted the review, Zojirushi expressed interest in having their products reviewed, but that has gone no where (ie, no real followups since that time).

Posted January 29, 2004 link

Hi Mark...
It seems reviews are important to the end user, and companies are becoming aware of this site.

Are you going to attempt to recontact Zojirushi, Trudeau, Nissan etc for additional thermos reviews?

This is one of those areas in which similar price doesn't mean similar performance. We have owned both Nissan and Zojrushi 'pour through the lid' thermos containers and found what seemed like vast differences in the performance.

I really liked the Nissan thermos (1 pt) 'till my wife accidentally ran over it one morning. We had not replaced it till this fall when we bought a Zojirushi (1 pt) on vacation. Since, I received a 1.5 qt Zojirushi for Christmas. Boy, the Z's have it for still drinkable coffee after 5 hours. We love our Z's!

We bought it when visiting Barry J. at Riley's Coffee on his recommendation while we were travelling through St. Louis on an extended trip. He has used them up to the several gallon size. We had been looking, but were reluctant to part with the $$ because we had purchased another supposedly good brand unit - which we donated to Goodwill because the coffee was not hot enough to drink after only an hour.

What we would love to see is a comparative review of travel mugs. At $10 - 30 each it seems like such a crap shoot. We have owned a lot of inexpensive ones, but only one kind of pricey Stainless Steel one...and it leaked around the seal. It's not that I won't drink my coffee out of 'non-classy' mugs. The Mini-Mart ones just don't go with client and board meetings very well. And my wife prefers to carry a 'mug' for work, and not a separate thermos to fill her mug.

L  a  r  r  Y

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
Ormazd
Ormazd

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rocky doserless, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm KBT741
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 9:52am

FWIW, I have 2 each Zojirushi and Nissan travel mugs.  I had bought the Zojirushis from Sweet Marias a couple years ago, and was never really happy with them.  After reading Mark's review, I purchased two of the Nissan JMQ-400C leakproof mugs.  They are da bomb!  Truly leakproof, and they keep coffee HOT for hours.

Gary
dspringston

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Pasquini Moka...
Drip: Old Braun
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Feb 5, 2004, 8:33am

I too have a pair of the Nissan Travel mugs - Model # JMQ440C and up till a few days ago I was very happy with them however I have ran into an issue.  On this model there is an O-ring around the lid to make it leak proof which works beautifully but this ring also will collect "crud" around and under itself.  To clean I have to remove the O-ring and yesterday it broke.  I called the Nissan customer support and found out that a replacement part is not available but instead I would need to return the entire mug for replacement.  While it is nice to get a new mug it just seems a little over-the-top to need to replace the entire mug for a broken seal.  Perhaps I am cleaning the mug wrong, if anyone else has ideas please feel free to share.

Thanks.
peacedog
peacedog

Espresso: Andreja Premium; Presso
Grinder: rancilio rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Yama HCA-5
Drip: Krups Moka Brew; Technivorm...
Roaster: behmor 1600; Toastess popper
Posted Mon Mar 22, 2004, 9:42pm

Thermos Joke:

Several renowned scientists were discussing the greatest invention the world had ever known.  After several hypotheses were proferred, such as the steam engine, and the electric lightbulb, the {insultable nation of your choice} scientist offerred:  "I think the greatest invention in the world is Thermos bottle"

After much derisive laughter by the assembled eggheads, he/she was asked "why do you think something as simple as a thermos bottle is the greatest invention in the world?

Protaganist scientist said: "It keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold."

"So what?" chorused the irritated intelligentsia

Protaganist scientist said: "well, how does it know?"

"Give me a rocks on the rocks - and put it in a dirty glass" - Cary Granite
JavaKauai

Posted Sat Apr 10, 2004, 8:11pm

It's a delight to read such a thorough review.

I wish you would add the physical dimensions, including the height with the stopper removed.

I want to replace the leaky thermal carafe that came with my (free Gevalia) coffee maker with a nice stainless steel one. I want make sure it will fit before I have it shipped all the way to Hawaii.

Keep up the good work!
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Apr 11, 2004, 1:45pm

JavaKauai Said:

It's a delight to read such a thorough review.

I wish you would add the physical dimensions, including the height with the stopper removed.

I want to replace the leaky thermal carafe that came with my (free Gevalia) coffee maker with a nice stainless steel one. I want make sure it will fit before I have it shipped all the way to Hawaii.

Keep up the good work!

Posted April 10, 2004 link

Hi. Thanks for the great feedback and glad you enjoyed the review.

Also thanks for the note on what you'd like to see in the review. Unfortunately, most of the thermos products have been given away or what have you... I only have four or five of the items left, so I can't measure them and add dimensions to the review. But if I do another detailed review on thermal products in the future, I will be sure to add this kind of stat.

Cheers

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Thermos Nissan...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254544973373)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+