Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Detailed Review Feedback
Elektra Micro Casa a Leva
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Elektra Micro...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
easy_henry
easy_henry
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: CKX, Mini Gaggia, Arrarex...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly, EM0480,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Hario 3-cups...
Drip: Cup-size stanless...
Roaster: popper, hotpan
Posted Tue Jun 7, 2005, 4:33am
Subject: Re: Elektra Micro Casa a Leva

Is the brass/copper, brass/chrome and fully chrome model all the same, but just with a different metal coat?
Looking at getting one, just saving and deciding which "color" (if that's the only different between them).

go easy, ride safe and keep brewing,
henry

LMWDP #093
 View Profile Link to this post
Spindoc

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Capresso MT500
Roaster: i-Roast Mod.40010
Posted Thu Jun 9, 2005, 11:08pm

Yes, they are the same machine in different metal combinations.

I have the brass and copper and it is quite beautiful; but the chrome models would not need to be lacquered to retain their shine and are likely to stay new-looking longer, I would think.

You can go to any site that sells the machines and find a link to the manufacturer's illustrations and descriptions of the various versions.

By the way, I needed a part for mine -- a new filler cap, the part you unscrew to fill the machine with water. Mine has a pressure relief valve built in. Finding it was not easy; but through the kind referral from Chris' Coffee site, I did ultimately find it at 1st Line (www.1st-line.net) at a very reasonable price, with good service to boot!
bradleyallen

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Zassenhaus...
Drip: Beehouse ceramic manual...
Roaster: Barefoot Coffee Probat L12
Posted Sat Jun 11, 2005, 3:51pm

Spindoc Said:

By the way, I needed a part for mine -- a new filler cap, the part you unscrew to fill the machine with water. Mine has a pressure relief valve built in. Finding it was not easy; but through the kind referral from Chris' Coffee site, I did ultimately find it at 1st Line (www.1st-line.net) at a very reasonable price, with good service to boot!

Posted June 9, 2005 link

That's really impressive that one vendor would recommend another. It speaks of their confidence in each other and themselves.  I just ordered a Micro Casa a Leva. And purely by chance I ordered via 1st-line. I have no previous experience with either vendor.

But from what you write, I imagine either choice would've been a good one. I hope this doesn't read as a plug... since the contraption hasn't even been delivered yet! :-)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jeffmac
jeffmac
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Elektra Microcasa lever...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: German 1950's ground glass...
Drip: Vignano 'Kontessa' moka pot,...
Roaster: popcorn popper
Posted Sat Jun 11, 2005, 5:49pm

I guess that this is good a place as any, now that the thread has been bumped, to mention a solution I came up with to the problems some members reported with the gauge needle on the Casa not returning to zero.

One time when I accidently released the portafilter while the lever was down (i,e, at full pressure) I experienced a fairly dramatic portafilter sneeze which also blew the needle off its pin. I stayed behind the glass front of the gauge.

The brass ring which holds the glass in place can be removed by gently pushing it from behind with a small flat electrical screwdriver or similar. Start at the top and gently work around it in a circle and it slides off.  The needle can be replaced on its pin in the zero position and the glass and ring replaced.

It's a fix too to the cosmetic problem of the needle not sitting back on zero. Obviously it doesn't correct any pressure problems but I think the needle issue probably arises from too vigourous shaking of the machine during attempts to clean the level glass tube.  I do it by gently tipping the cleaning solution in and out of the tube. Takes longer but if you do it regularly it works.

Nearly a year with this machine and I still love it.  Another resident of my town has bought one and is coming over tomorrow for a lesson on using it. This makes the Elektra/poulation ratio in my town 1:150   ...   any other machines out there with this sort of consumer spread?  :-)

Jeff
Spindoc

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Roaster: i-Roast Mod.40010
Posted Sun Jun 12, 2005, 7:06am

Thanks a lot for the info on repairing the gauge on the Micro Casa.

When mine is at pressure, it reads above the red range, about 1.5 bar.  It is never vented through the safety valve and works great, but I wonder if anyone else's Micro Casa a Leva reads its pressure above the red range routinely?

Jeeze Louise, I am glad that you didn't get burned when you released the portafilter at pressure. You very easily coulda.

Instead, you accumulated some experience to benefit us all. A good thing!

Spindoc
Severino
Severino

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Posted Wed Sep 7, 2005, 6:26am

I am a virgin to buying one of these wonderfull looking lever machines and I love my coffee.
But I am still confused.
When it comes down to great coffee who would win? La Pavoni or Elektra?
There is a big cost difference between the two!
Sev
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Wed Sep 7, 2005, 6:39am

You might be interested in the HB thread Elektra/Pavoni side by side.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to play around with a domestic lever machine, but I'm also looking into it!  I've stumbled across a number of comments praising spring lever machines over manual machines.

Good luck,

Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lethalblonde
lethalblonde

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa a Leva
Grinder: Innova flat burr
Roaster: Big, heavy, old wok;...
Posted Thu Sep 28, 2006, 8:26pm

My journey with this lovely machine begins next week.  Everyone, thank you so much for the posts and links to such a wealth of information to journey with me!

Mark, a lovely and complete review of a classic - it was a significant motivator to select this (in chrome) as our espresso machine here in the Rocky Mountains (where many electronic devices live nervously just beyond high-end surge protectors)!

A flat burr Innova (Love Red) grinder will round out the basics, with a Reg Barber tamp.

Let the fun begin!

Trisha

"The blessing lies not in living, merely, but in living well."  Seneca, 8 B.C.
Severino
Severino

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Posted Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:23pm
Subject: Re: Elektra Leva

Hi all
Here is a shocking news item.  

I contacted La Pavoni to order some new parts (more filters) and was forwarded to a distributor here in Holland (one only).  They got back to me and said I should visit them to ensure I got the right part (ok - fine).  So I asked them...
"While I am there could one of your experts run me through what I was doing wrong with my PLH machine as I was still not getting the best out of it?"
The instant response was a question
"Was it a Lever machine?"
I said "Yes" (proudly)
Instant reply - "You will never get a great coffee from such a machine".

I was honestly left without words (...etc.)

I emailed La Pavoni right away and it is now some three days without any response.
It has been a very deflating week.

Can anyone out there lift my spirits and give me hope everlasting.

Dante
lethalblonde
lethalblonde

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa a Leva
Grinder: Innova flat burr
Roaster: Big, heavy, old wok;...
Posted Wed Oct 4, 2006, 2:34pm

It makes superb espresso!  Thanks for all the information that at long last, led us here!

lethalblonde: Elektra!.JPG
(Click for larger image)

"The blessing lies not in living, merely, but in living well."  Seneca, 8 B.C.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Detailed Reviews > Elektra Micro...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.250746011734)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+